• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

registry office for marrige,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Has Any Of The Forum Members
Ever Got Married In The Old Congreive Street Registry Office
The One Before They Built The Central Libary
The One They Used In The Twenties Through Till The Late Fifties
Before They Went On To Broad Street , ? .

Aston

My Mother & Father did in 1935 but the Certificate has no address on it only Birmingham:)

As I remember, the Register Office for births, marriages and deaths was at 6 - 14 Edmund St. When I worked for the Council in the late 1950s, I was involved in a quick survey of this property, but the only things I recall now are that the buildings were very solid, and that the people who worked there were very nice and helpful. Not all people were all like that though, even in those days.
Peter

We were married in the reg office in March 1953 but I was pretty sure it was Broad Street, our wedding photos were taken (in a blizzard) with the Hall of Memory as a background. Can't remember where Congreve Street was. E.

It Was Oppersite The Foutain ,the One Thats Outside The Town Hall
And It Was On The Site Where The B,ham Central Now Stands
Facing The Art Gallery
The Roads Was Different Then You Would Just Walk Across
The Road It Lay In Line With Other Office,
The New Registry Office Was,nt Even, Thought Of Then

I got married in the Register Office in Edmund Street but there may have been another entrance in Congreve Street.

Has Any Of The Forum Members
Ever Got Married In The Old Congreive Street Registry Office
The One Before They Built The Central Libary
The One They Used In The Twenties Through Till The Late Fifties
Before They Went On To Broad Street , ? .

My great great grandparents marriage certificate shows them having married at the register office Aston? I am after a picture of this building to put im my family album. would anyone know where it was in 1924 and where i might be able to get a picture
thank you

Hi I got married in 1961 at the register office by the fountain. I do not know what the street was called sorry certificate only say's Birmingham register office.

We were married there,and had our photo's taken by the fountain.I thought it was Paradise St.
What I am sure about is the pub on the other side of the road from the registrars office:rolleyes:,it was a tiny pub called The Cross Keys.
Don't remember a registrars office in Aston,before my time.However,I have seen a photo.somewhere on the forum,of an old Council building in Aston,could it have been there ?.

Back