• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ref: LMSR Driver Personnel records

YOUNG319

proper brummie kid
Hi All,
Does anybody by some remote chance know where one might find the personnel records or work rosters of train drivers in the Midland branch of the LMSR Line. I am trying to locate which trains my wife's grandfather
Archibald Cook drove throughout the ww2 period,
Many thanks

Dave Y :stressed:

Good morning Dave Y and welcome to the Forum.
Have you seen the thread "Archibald Cooke, Engine Driver, LMSR, George Medal Award, 18th December 1942‏" which was started on your behalf by mikemusson? During the last four days I've also come across four scanned pages of a book with a photograph of the heroic driver, together with his fireman, standing on a step of their engine with a third gentleman standing on the track. I can't now find it. I hope someone with a better memory will be able to help. The caption to the article sent in by a member referred to a mistake having been made but to me his statement wasn't clear. I didn't think at the time that the posting was on an appropriate thread. I hope this misty information may help, David

Last edited:
It might be worth contacting either the National Railway Museum at York,or the National Archives/Public Record Office at Kew,as both hold considerable railway records.

Hi Laura,
Thanks for that, National railway Museum at york could well be a good lead, As regards PRO I have tried to find references on there website
before with a view to visit Kew, But i can never find what i am looking for !!. So now when someone mentions Kew i run out the room screaming,
Again Thanks for tip i will follow the lead,
Kind Regards
Dave Y

Hi David,
Yep the idiot was me, Posted in wrong thread an then tried to remove a complete hash up from a newbie,
However i have read your second message which i am about to follow up and i will come back to you,
Kind Regards
Dave Y

Back