• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reeves family Birmingham

So If You Can Get A cHECK On The 1952/ 4 , Cencus For Spring field Rd Lady wood

You won't get a census, not until 2051 for the 1951 one - the nearest thing would be the electoral roll, there in books at the central library 6th floor.

Hello Judy you appear to be a bit of an expert at finding out about peoples where abouts?. Annie [grey wolf] is trying to find out if a Keneth Doddwell or Lovegrove still reside in Birmingham. I haven't got a clue how to go about searching for people. She would be so grateful if someone could help her. Thanks. Jean.

Hi Jean

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm afraid I'm no good at tracing people around in this day and age. I can only trace the censuses and records back. Still I will send an IM to Annie to see if I can help in any way.

Judy

Wire drawing is the process of pulling wire through successively smaller holes to reduce its diameter. The holes are in objects called dies that look rather like ring doughnuts (but usually with a much smaller hole!) and made of a hard material like tungsten carbide or hardened tool steel. It starts as a rod of quite thick metal and it gets longer each time. It can get very long and would then be wound up on a spool.

Title I am the great great grandson of Thomas and Matilda Reeves from Birmingham, but not the same couple described in this thread. My GGGF Thomas was the son of William Reeves, a gun finisher, and his wife Mary, who lived in Weaman Row in the Gun Quarter in 1841. Matilda was the daughter of John Whitby, a carpenter, and his wife Ann, who lived in Great Lister Street. Thomas, like his father, was in the gun trade, and came to Canada in about 1844 as a civilian armorer with the British garrison. William and Mary had 11 other children, many of whom I have been able to follow in later censuses of Birmingham and Aston, but no obvious links to any of yours.

I am seeking more information about William and Mary, in particular, their births (abt 1799 and 1798, respectively), their marriage (abt 1820), her maiden name and names of their parents.

[FONT=&quot]There are some possible leads in the IGI. A William Reaves [sic], son of Thomas and Mary, was baptised at Aston Juxta Birmingham on 5 August 1798. There is also an IGI entry for the marriage of William and Mary Reeves in about 1820 in Aston, but without source information.

Murray
[/FONT]

Hello Chrisy3, I am a Reeves, my dad was Phillip Reeves1920-1977, father William 1876 married Lucy Birks, his father was Alexander Reeves 1841 67 Clark Street Ladywood, wife Matilda G(nee Hallard)b1841 Lidbury Worcs, I've only recently started research, so if you have any info I would be grateful.
jackytrow

Hello everyone, it has been some time since I tried to trace my Reeves family, and now have been bitten by the bug again!

I am really stumped

Thomas Alexander Reeves
Balsall Heath
b 25.02.1864

married

Matilda Dawe
b 19.10.1863
Bridgwater

married 05.12.1987

I am assuming that as one of the children Elsie May Reeves was baptised at All Saints Parish Church Birmingham on the 12.02.1905, it is possible that they also got married in that church?

So I wondered if anyone has come across in there searches any church records?

Chrisy

Certainly married Birmingham, 4th quarter 1887 Birmingham volume 6d page 338 (not 1987!)
A copy of the certificate will tell you where exactly.

Hi - I am married to Barry Reeves who's dad was Stanley Robert Reeves from Lichfield Road Aston - Barry born 1938 would he be any connection?

There was a company named W Reeves Badges in Tenby Street in the Jewellery Quarter. I think it closed last year. A collection of their badges was saved from going to London by The Ladywood Comunity Chest Fund. Well done to all concerned. There is a display of their badges at The Pen Room.

Certainly married Birmingham, 4th quarter 1887 Birmingham volume 6d page 338 (not 1987!)
A copy of the certificate will tell you where exactly.
I had a copy of the certificate but now cant find it, we dont seem to be able to find a birth certificate, we know she was a Matilda Dawe and she married Thomas Reeves in 1887, on a census it says she was Dawe when single as well from Bridgewater. On her daughter Elsies christening certificate it has Matilda Dawe to. But we can not seem to find the correct birth certificate. Does anyone have any ideas? chrisy

Hi Chrisy

I've just looked again at the 1881 census and the name Ballard could be Hallard quite easily.

I checked the 1891 census, and found Herbert E Hallard aged 43 a Butcher from Worcestershire (Croome?) but married to Sarah A who is 34 and a Grocer, living at back of 148 Gt Hampton Row. There was a visitor there called Jessie Sharratt.

There was a Herbert Edward Hallard married Maria Reeves in 1868 (Kings Norton District)

Herbert and Maria Hallard are living at 7 Gt Colmore Street, Birmingham in 1871. Herbert is a Butcher.

Fanny Maria Halllard was born in 1871 in Aston.

A Maria Hallard died in 1873 in Aston. Herbert Edward Hallard remarried in 1885 Sarah Ann Crawford.

Hope this information helps. I don't know where Amelia fits in as I can't find a marriage between her and Herbert.

Judy

Hi Judy

My cousin and I believe that Eliza Hallard who was Robert Claridge (from Croome) housekeeper, had an illegitimate child by him. We know he is Herbert E Hallard, however on the same record reference (which I can't access) there is also a Herbert E Claridge. - CLARIDGE Herbert Edward Worcester 18 563.

Is it a big coincidence, or is it possible that Herbert was written down as Claridge, and then changed back to his mothers name of Hallard. As it would have caused much embarassment to Robert Claridge a gent.

Any advise please. Chris

Hi Pom, I hope you are still on here its been a long time since my original post. I think I have found a connection between Jessie Sharratt and the Hallards and Reeves. It is possible that Jessie Sharratt could be a cousin to Herbert Hallard, and Matilda Reeves nee Hallard. I just found a William Handley married to Sarah Sherratt, I think that William was a brother to Charlotte Handley who married James Hallard.
chrisy

There are some possible leads in the IGI. A William Reaves [sic], son of Thomas and Mary, was baptised at Aston Juxta Birmingham on 5 August 1798. There is also an IGI entry for the marriage of William and Mary Reeves in about 1820 in Aston, but without source information. Murray

Hi,

I'm sure I'm a couple of years too late going by the date of this post, but it's worth a try, so here goes.

I'm researching the family of Hannah Reeves, born around 1799/1800 to Thomas and Mary Reeves.
Hannah married Edward Hall (blacksmith) on 31 Janaury 1822 at St Martin's, Birmingham.
Hannah and Edward had two children Ann (b 1827) and Edward Hall (b 1829).
Hannah died January 1832 and was buried at St Thomas, Bath Row. Her husband died around 1848-1850, and their two children sailed to Australia from Liverpool in April 1851.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm running into brick walls now, and short of flying to the U.K. to follow up on leads I'm running out of options.

Cheers
shall

Back