• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Reeves family Birmingham

chrisy3

knowlegable brummie
Hi there must be lots of Reeves about in Birmingham but I am not having much luck in finding them.

If anyone has information about Thomas Reeves and Matilda Reeves (nee Dawe) they had 12 children who all lived. We have them as coming form either Kings Norton or Kings Heath in worcestershire and some of the children may have been born in Birmingham.

Any info would be of interest, thanks chrisy

Hi Chrisy

Thomas Alexander Reeves married Matilda Dawe in the December quarter 1887 in Birmingham.

Can't find them in 1891, although there is an Alexander Reeves married to Matilda but other details don't fit.

But in 1901 they are living at 157 Prescott Street, All Saints district.

Thomas Reeves, head,37, Wire Drawer, b. Birmingham
Matilda Reeves, wife, 37, born Bridgwater Somerset.
Thomas Reeves, son, 12, born Birmingham
Ernest Reeves, son, 6, born Birmingham
Chas. Reeves, son, 1, born Birmingham
Frederick Parkes, boarder, 60, Wire Drawer, b. Birmingham
George Harvey, boarder, m, 54, Bricklayer, b. Birmingham
Mary Jane Harvey, boarder,m, 52, b. Birmingham

Hope this helps.

Judy

Hi Chrisy

Alexander and Matilda Reeves are Thomas A Reeves' parents. I have just found him with them in the 1881 census, at 67 Clark Street, Ladywood. Let me know if you want the details.

Judy

Here are Alexander and Matilda Reeves, parents of Thomas Alexander, in the 1881 census:

67 Clark(e) Street, Ladywood

Alexander Reeves, head, 40, Wire Drawer, b. Worcs. Kings Heath.
Matilda Reeves, wife, 36, b. Worcester.
Thomas A Reeves, son, 17, (Wire Drawer) ditto, b. Balsall Heath
Louisa Reeves, dtr, 15, Printing Dept ?, b. Birmingham
Fanny Reeves, dtr, 9, Scholar, b. Birmingham
Alfred Reeves, son, 7, Scholar, b. Birmingham
William Reeves, son 5, Scholar, b. Birmingham
Amelia Reeves, dtr, 1, b. Birmingham
Alfred Parkes, boarder, unmarried, 40, Wire Drawer, b.Worcs.Kings Heath
Herbert Ballard, Visitor, Married, 33, Butcher, Worcester
Amelia Ballard, visitor, married, 28, Butcher's Wife, Gloucestershire
Fanny W Ballard, visitor, 9, Scholar, Birmingham

Alexander and Matilda are living in the same house in 1891 with 3 more children: Nellie 8, Arthur 6, George (Newry?) 3, and Frank Haylings. Still there in 1901.

Hi Judy
thank you for the information, I have only just realised how important it is. re:

"Herbert Ballard, Visitor, Married, 33, Butcher, Worcester
Fanny W Ballard, visitor, 9, Scholar, Birmingham"

Could the surname possibly be Hallard and not Ballard? As we have been trying to trace Matilda Reeves' (nee Hallard) brother Herbert Hallard who would have been 33 at that time.

Any ideas were I could find more information about him being a butcher? I have Herbert Hallard as being born 9th of February 1848 at Sidbury.
regards
chrisy

Hi Chrisy

I've just looked again at the 1881 census and the name Ballard could be Hallard quite easily.

I checked the 1891 census, and found Herbert E Hallard aged 43 a Butcher from Worcestershire (Croome?) but married to Sarah A who is 34 and a Grocer, living at back of 148 Gt Hampton Row. There was a visitor there called Jessie Sharratt.

There was a Herbert Edward Hallard married Maria Reeves in 1868 (Kings Norton District)

Herbert and Maria Hallard are living at 7 Gt Colmore Street, Birmingham in 1871. Herbert is a Butcher.

Fanny Maria Halllard was born in 1871 in Aston.

A Maria Hallard died in 1873 in Aston. Herbert Edward Hallard remarried in 1885 Sarah Ann Crawford.

Hope this information helps. I don't know where Amelia fits in as I can't find a marriage between her and Herbert.

Judy

Chrisy if you find you have a connection the the visitor Jessie Sharratt, would you let me know please ? I have a Clara Sharratt (Nee Hampton) connected through marraige in my tree, I also have a photo of her.

By the way great work Judy :)

Pom

Last edited:
Wow Judy thats amazing.
Herbert was a bit of a mistery because it is very possible that he was the illigitimate son of Robert Claridge of Dean, and so was his sister Matilda Hallard who married Alexander Reeves. Their mother Eliza Hallard was a house keeper to Robert Claridge.

So Herbert and Amelia were visiting his sister at the time of the census.
We do have Herbert as being married twice once in 1868 and in 1885 to a Crawford. So perhaps Amelia was his first wife.

You have given me some more hunting to do. Thank you so much for your help.
chris

I think I've found your original couple in 1891, very hard to read
Living at 16 Court Bowns, Birmingham somewhere in Rotton Park?

Reeves Thomas 27 Head Brass and Copper ??? Drawer (can't read where born)
Reeves Matilda 27 Wife Bridgewater, Somerset, -
Reeves Thomas 2 Son -, Birmingham

Hi all
Matilda was from Bridgwater Somerset, so yes that is them, Thomas I had as being born in Kings Norton, but Judy is most likely correct with Birmingham.

Hi Pom as yet nothing in my Reeves tree ref a Sharratt but you never know, do you have any Reeves?
chrisy

The entry reads Brass and copper wire Drawer,born Balsall Heath on original entry of census.

No Reeves in my tree as yet sorry, although I did know a Christine Reeves from Nechells really well in the 1960's.

Pom

Pom this is what my cousin Sheila has just said

"I don't think Herbert did marry Amelia (who said the Victorians were virtuous!) but he did marry Sarah Sharratt (from Droitwich I think)"

chrisy

The entry reads Brass and copper wire Drawer,born Balsall Heath on original entry of census.

Hi Alberta, I wonder what a brass and copper wire drawer did back then.

In the early 1900s my grandfather, his father in law and my mother and uncles all worked at the Lucas factory.

Chrissy go here the job is explained very well :
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3433&highlight=wire+Drawer

Also Chrissy sorry it was Clara Hampton who married James Sharratt (Sarah Hampton was her Mom).
James William Sharratt married Clara Maria Hampton who was born in 1874 and she died in 1909 the had one daughter Gladys Sharratt. James remarried in 1911.

Pom

Do you know where your Sharratts came from? Sarah Sharratt came from Droitwich Sheila says. Herbert Hallard married 4 times I think half of britain is now related

On the 1861 census James' Father, Mother, and two older brother's were born
1) Staffordshire - Mowbury
2) Cambridgeshire - -
3) Staffordshire - Wolverhampton
4) Staffordshire - Wolverhampton
respectively

Pom

Hi Chrisy

Just to confuse the issue a bit more. I was just having a look to see if I couold find anything on Amelia Hallard and I went on to the FreeBMD site. I found nothing for Amelia but discovered another marriage for Herbert Edward Hallard!!!

The one I gave you before was for the September quarter of 1868 in Kings Norton district to (possibly) Maria Reeves.

There is also another for the March quarter of 1870 to either Mary Ann Cox or Maria Lloyd. Check it out for yourself on
https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
When you have found the person you want, click on the page number to find the spouse.

Plenty to sort out on this man eh!! :) Judy

Here are Alexander and Matilda Reeves, parents of Thomas Alexander, in the 1881 census:

67 Clark(e) Street, Ladywood

Alexander Reeves, head, 40, Wire Drawer, b. Worcs. Kings Heath.
Matilda Reeves, wife, 36, b. Worcester.
Thomas A Reeves, son, 17, (Wire Drawer) ditto, b. Balsall Heath
Louisa Reeves, dtr, 15, Printing Dept ?, b. Birmingham
Fanny Reeves, dtr, 9, Scholar, b. Birmingham
Alfred Reeves, son, 7, Scholar, b. Birmingham
William Reeves, son 5, Scholar, b. Birmingham
Amelia Reeves, dtr, 1, b. Birmingham
Alfred Parkes, boarder, unmarried, 40, Wire Drawer, b.Worcs.Kings Heath
Herbert Ballard, Visitor, Married, 33, Butcher, Worcester
Fanny W Ballard, visitor, 9, Scholar, Birmingham

Alexander and Matilda are living in the same house in 1891 with 3 more children: Nellie 8, Arthur 6, George (Newry?) 3, and Frank Haylings. Still there in 1901.

Hi Judy, thanks for all the above information, in an earlier reply you had a child called Ernest who was 6 in a previous census but not in the above, any ideas what happened to him?
chrisy

If Ernest Reeves was 6 in the 1901 census, he wouldn't even be a twinkle in his dad's eye in 1881!

LLoyd is right - Ernest would have been born between the censuses - around 1895. You will have to wait for the 1911 to find him!!!!

Thanks guys - well it was late :( when I posted it

Ok can anyone find out for me, I would be so grateful what happened to him after the 1911 as we cant find a death for him.

I note that there is a big age gap between him and his siblings, I wonder if it was possible that one of the daughters gave birth to him? Any info would be smashing. Thanks again for all your help.

chrisy

HI CHRISTY
I,ve Just Been Reading Your Request On The Reeves Family ,And I Noticed That Some Of The Researchers Have Given You Info; Regarding The Reeves Family And Mentioning Clarke St, And Rotton Park Street ,So I Thought It Might Be Worth Mentioning To You As Part Of Your Researching Was To Do A Electrol Roll Check On The Reeves Family Which
Lived Not Far From These Roads Wich Is Still In The Same Area Would Be A Back House In Springfield Rd Ladywood In The Early 1950,s They Had Two Sibblings
One Boy And One Girl , The Boys Name Was Trevor, And The Girls Name Was Ann
And I Believe One Of The Parents Was An Step Parent But I Cannot Recall There Names Nor Which One It Was The Step Parent, These Sibbling Around That Time Was About 7,8,9, So Give It A Whirl , After wards There Could Be A Connection Best Of Luck In Your Research , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,

Thanks for the help.
So do you mean that Trevor and Ann were Reeves or step children? Will try and find them.
chrisy

HI CHRISTY Again,
I Tried To Send A Thead Today Regarding The Thomas Reeves Family .Judy Said She As Confromation Of The Reeves Living In Prescott St All Saints In 1881, And She Also Stated That The Reeves In 1901 Lived In Clark Street Lady wood B,ham 18 ,
And Afew Years On InTime Around The Very Late 1940,S To The Very Earlys 1952/3
A Young Couple Moved Into Spring field Street Lady wood And They Had Two Young Siblings I ThinkThe Little Lad Was Called Trevor And The Little Girl Was Called Anne,
Now These Two Streets From That House Of Springfield St Are Only About A MILE Apart From Each Other So There Is A PossiblebiltyThat These People Are Connected To The Orinional Parents YouAre Looking For One Of These People , The Father Or The Mother Was A Step Person To The Kids If My Memory Serves Me Right
So If You Can Get A cHECK On The 1952/ 4 , Cencus For Spring field Rd Lady wood
For The Reeves IT May Be Worth While And They May Be Very Possible Connected Going On Judys Report Of The Main Parents Living In Lady wood In1881
And Remember InThose The Sibbling Never Strayed Away From The Area Of Tjhere Older Parents Best Of Luck ASTONIAN ,;;;

Back