• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Re-use of graves

A Brave New World

I abhor such a policy, it seems so bureaucratic, so efficient, so irreligious, impersonal, and uncaring. Besides, it wrecks havoc on one of the more interesting means of satisfying one's genealogical aspirations!
There is plenty of available land in Britain for burial purposes; if the people so choose, they can develop new burial grounds.

Last edited:
cremation vs internment

well that really could not happen here in Canada for a REALLY long time as we really only use a quarter of our land now. I know my paternal grandparents were cremated, my parents and I plan on cremations ... makes more sense to me.

Re- Use Of Graves

It is very satisfying to find and visit the grave's of the ancester's,that you have worked hard researching. Does anybody know if there is any cremation register's held in the library.

About three years ago I went to find a grave for a lady in Austraila. The grave was at Witton Cemetery armed with a map and grave number eventually I found it but the name was not right. I went back to the office and asked they told me that the area had been covered with tons of soil several meters deep for more burials. I am not sure when this was done but I would think about 100 years ago. Some large areas have no headstones although there are still people buried in these areas. It is very difficult as now cemeteries have large areas designated for different faiths and land is running short. The problem being how long will future generations bear the cost of maintaining monuments to their ancestral dead. We also have the major problem with the cost of health and safety monument testing which is going on all over the UK.

Hi Foxey, I have just spoken to my friends Son-in-Law who works at Central Library, he said he's almost certain there is a list of cremations there in the burials section.

About three years ago I went to find a grave for a lady in Austraila. The grave was at Witton Cemetery armed with a map and grave number eventually I found it but the name was not right. I went back to the office and asked they told me that the area had been covered with tons of soil several meters deep for more burials. I am not sure when this was done but I would think about 100 years ago. Some large areas have no headstones although there are still people buried in these areas. It is very difficult as now cemeteries have large areas designated for different faiths and land is running short. The problem being how long will future generations bear the cost of maintaining monuments to their ancestral dead. We also have the major problem with the cost of health and safety monument testing which is going on all over the UK.

What happened to "Rest in Peace"... It really does put you off being buried!!
Georgie

I think the problem is ownership it seems some graves colapse and the cemeteries are not allowed to touch "owned graves" or memorials. Sadly in this day and age there have to be rules.........we have created this by our compensation culture. It seems we have to look after our own family graves which is why its so nice when we find one. I would suggest if you find a family grave log it with the cemetery with your name and contact number. If there is a problem then hopefully they will let you know.

I think the problem is ownership it seems some graves colapse and the cemeteries are not allowed to touch "owned graves" or memorials. Sadly in this day and age there have to be rules.........we have created this by our compensation culture. It seems we have to look after our own family graves which is why its so nice when we find one. I would suggest if you find a family grave log it with the cemetery with your name and contact number. If there is a problem then hopefully they will let you know.

I had my Great Grandparents grave renovated.. not sure now if I had to be the oldest surviving relative. The Stonemasons went out to look at the grave for me and gave me an estimate of what they thought needed attention... and I then decided what to have done. It was a double grave .... side by side with kerbing around... so the top slabs had sunk in....and it was in a really sorry state. I had the slabs levelled out and new gravel put on and the 2 urns were cemented down... and the Stonemasons sent me a photo too. So I was really pleased and it all looks good. I could have had the kerbing cleaned but decided it would look to new.
Georgie

Good for you Georgie, I am glad you had your family grave sorted!

Hi Moma P, I think you have a very good point that if you find a family grave.. log your name etc with the Cemetery. I must admit that I had never thought about this. Some cemeteries have removed headstones and grassed over to keep the churchyards tidy..

The problem I have is ....I have lots of family buried at St. Saviours, Saltley .. but I don't know where the graves are as there are no headstones.. I am surprised really as they didn't seem to be too badly off... Has anyone any clues to finding out???.... I have all the burial dates...would there be a plan somewhere of the Grave Plots?

I also have 2 burials at St.James, Ashted.. for 1855 and 1858... any clues?
Georgie

Oh dear Georgie my husband gets upset about St Saviours. He was a server and bell ringer there. We visited in 2003 it was very overgrown I have posted some photo's. My friend David Fisher has taken a lot of photo's in this churchyard. I am still unsure how he achived this.

Moma P. Sorry getting off the thread a bit here... I've seen your friends photos on the site.... do you know if he doing any more "finding headstones"... also I plan to visit St. Saviours end of Feb/beginning March 2008.. if it is locked (as stated) how can I look around the churchyard and church? I'm travelling up from Cornwall...so I don't want a fruitless journey. Georgie

Moma P, that's very kind of you... thank you:) At least 8 of my BUDD relations are buried at St.Saviours...the earliest 1874 and that was my 3xGt Grandfather. Any help would be wonderful... Georgie

Back