• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Re-open LSWR main line from Plymouth to Exeter

pistonvalve

master brummie
Hi All,

We have all seen the devastation of the main line from Exeter to Plymouth at Dawlish which will take months to repair thus cutting off Plymouth and Cornwall from Rail.

The old LSWR (SR) main line is still largely intact with just a short section from Bere Alston to Meldon removed. Surely this should be reinstated to form a diversionary route so Plymouth and Cornwall are not cut off when the vulnerable section of rail at Dawlish is damaged by rough seas.

Before the Beeching cuts the LSWR main line was regularly used by the Great western as a diversionary route for their rail traffic to the South West.

I don't think it would Cost Billions to reinstate this route.

What do you think?

Mike.

Anyone living in Devon, as I do, who knows of the situation regarding the Dawlish not always is aware of its railway history. And that includes politicians.

The problems at Dawlish are frequent, it is just that this one is of a more serious nature than usual. Trains are often stopped during winter storms. The whole line can have problems to whit the river breach at Exeter in 2012.
https://www.therailengineer.com/2013/02/12/holding-back-the-flood/.

The old LSWR line, as far as I can see is a non starter. It would need a serious upgrade, is a long way around and needs re-instatement in part. Besides which apart from Okehampton it serves a very rural and low populated area. That is why it closed. It also gets snow frequently as it runs on the northern part of Dartmoor. The line from Exeter to Plymouth serves many towns , Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, the branch to Torqauy and Paignton, plus Totnes and Ivybridge: all places with good populations and of course rail travellers.

The GWR 1930's idea, presented and accepted by Parliament, but curtailed by WW2, is one option. Another is to consider the Teign Valley Line (Newton Abbot to Exeter inland) via Heathfield. Part exists from Newton Abbot but the main part would have to be re-instated. It was a single line with passing loops but could, presumably be doubled in parts. This line was a great asset during WW2 when ammunition, oil and troop trains ran along it so avoiding the Dawlish/Teignmouth section of mainline which was subject to straffing by German fighter aircraft.
Time will tell, but I assure you Devonians and Cornish people will press for a long tern solution and using the HS2 money for this and some other upgrades to UK railway infrastucture will be talked about.

Back