• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Re- Burman Steering Boxes & Nickcc101

• Thread starter Cannock Chase Miner
  • Start date
C

Cannock Chase Miner

Hi and Hello to all on the Birmingham Hitory forum. My Name is Novie Dzinora and I currently live in Coniston Cumbria. Prior to that I Lived in Rugeley In Staffordshire all my life and worked at Littleton Colliery for ex amount of years at Cannock . I have a Keen interest in Donald Campbell and his record breaking Hydroplane Bluebird K7. I am a Team Member of -the Bluebird project and at this moment in time we are restoring K7 to fully operational condition or if you like as she was on the morning of January 4th 1967 when she left the jetty in search of her 8th world record. However tragedy struck and Donald was killed on his return run when K7 left the water and dramaticly crashed in full public view of the media.

Anyway as I said we are restoring K7 and using as much original fabric as we possibly can in her restoration. We spent over six months retrieving as much of the boat from the lake bed before finalllly raising the large rear section that survived the crash amazingly still intacked. This was carried out on the 8th March 2001 some 34yrs after that tragic day. We have waisted 5yrs attempting to gain H.L.F funding to build an extension to the Ruskin Museum in Coniston in which to house Bluebird K7 and rebuild K7. However thats a long story of Goalposts being constantly moved and in the end Project Leader Bill Smith cuting them loose two years ago. We are going it alone and anybody wishing to to get a project update can go to www.bluebirdproject.com and check out the progress we are making in restoring this unique British record breaker. Just click on the Diary section for the latest or on the Diary archive for the complete story.

However we have a problem in the fact that we know that Burman made a Steering Box for K7 in 1954 but this is one part of the boat we have not been able to find in Coniston as picture evidence suggests it came out in 1967 in the search for Donald campbell. Also we have nothing to go off in the original drawings and plans of K7's construction. We are confident it was a Burman Steering Box as the Company appears in the launch brochure as a major sponsor back in 1954 but what is it from? Was it a one of special? Was it from a commercial vehicle of the time? It has been suggested by a former team member from 1955/56 that it was "a bulky piece of kit" as he puts it and could have come from a commercial vehicle from the fifities,forties or even as far back as the Thirties! He recalls being told it was taken from an earlier Bluebird Hydroplane! Possibly K4 Donalds Late fathers Sir Malcolm Campbells record breaking Hydroplane boat of 1939! In my quest to find information and searching the Web I came across the Birmingham History Forum and a posting by Nickcc101 Stating "Burman also made Steering Boxes "grabbed my attention! I would request that if anybody has any information on this Burman steering box could you Please get in touch. An old press release or advert anything that can give us a hint as to where it came from! Burman had factories in Birmingham could they have had other plants up north as K7 was built originally by samlesbury Engineering Preston Lancashire? I Apologise for not being able to contibute to your history forum but only seek information on the Steering box. Not to famliar with how this site works so will attempt to pick up the thread. The Moderators of the site have my email address if anything comes of this appeal please forward any usefull information should i loose the thread.

Many Thanks

Novie Dzinora

The Bluebird project

Hi all I apologise for missing the S out of the word History. And any other typos!

Yours sincerely

Novie Dzinora

The Bluebird project

Hello Norvie, Please don't worry about spellings etc, we don't. I am sorry I can't help with your search. Your project sounds wonderful anything to do with preserving history we love to hear about on this forum. I like many others well remember that awful day. I do hope someone can help you good luck and my very best wishes to you and your team.

Hi Wendy thanks for your reply,I know Tamworth well. Lets hope someone can shed some light on the steering box front. We are currently undergoing a consultation process with the view to setting up a new byelaw to allow Bluebird K7 to run on Coniston Water once again when she is complete again. No fast speeds just trials up to 100mph. We are working together with the Lake District National Park Authority who at the moment have on their site ( www.lake-district.gov.uk )a questionare allowing people to be consulted upon their views in allowing us this new byelaw to run above the current 10mph limit. We cannot run at speed week because we would not be mounting an serious attempt on the current British record still held by Donald Campbell at 276mph as Bluebird K7 has nothing to prove and we would not wish to endanger this unique craft restored in honour of a Great British hero. Hopefully somebody on this site may just have the vital piece of information we need so urgentlyre the steering box. Thanks once again for your kind words.

Novie

The Burman "Worm and Nut" steering gear was used on a lot of British cars and commercial vehicles over the years, and it is likely that Burman made things for Donald Campbell for the publicity value. I don't know who owns the firm now, it might be these:
Burman Hiton Ltd
Montgomery Street
Sparkbrook
Birmingham
West Midlands
B11 1DY

Tel: +44 (0) 121 772 2711

Samlesbury engineering was one of a small number of firms entrusted to rebuild 1930s Birmingham Corporation buses after the war, when the whole fleet needed attention. They were reputedly "One of the best available" body rebuilders.
https://www.madeinpreston.co.uk/General/bluebird.html

Good luck with the project, it will be a fitting memorial to a man who pushed the country forward in the field of leadership and world records.

https://www.racingcampbells.com/

If you type burman gearbox into search, top right of page you will find the birmingham address.

Although Cannock Chase Miner tells us that K7 was built by Samlesbury Engineering of Preston, we can be assured of some of it's Birmingham origins by this piece from https://www.racingcampbells.com/

"Designed by the Ken and Lew Norris, she was powered by a Metropolitan Vickers 'Beryl' Turbo-Jet engine developing over 4,000-lb of thrust. She was a three pointer with an offset rudder and assembled on aircraft principles, with a light frame and a stressed skin made of Birmabright, produced by Birmetals Ltd., Birmabright Works, Clapgate Lane, Quinton, Birmingham. The main frame was constructed by Accles and Pollock, then transported to Samlesbury Engineering Ltd, near Preston where the hull was assembled. Samlesbury's main work was the construction of buses, a high speed jet powered craft presented challenges but quality in construction and workmanship was what Samlesbury excelled at."

The only thing i remember about Burman steering boxes is that they were fitted to some older cars and commercials i used to work on in the early sixties, sorry i can't be of more help.

Burman made the steering boxes for the old 'sit up and beg' Fords 8s, 10s, Anglias, Prefects, Populars, etc. We used to send the worn boxes back to the factory for reconditioning when I worked for Watsons in the 50s and 60s. E.

Hi All
As far as I am aware Burman Hiton when under at the begining of 2008 or was it 2009? If anybody knows differently let me know.Thanks to all those who have replied so far regarding my enquiry it is much appreciated. Lloyd is quite correct in his posting Re- Ken Norris and Lewis Norris & Accles and Pollock etc I didn't want to go into to much detail on that front.

Does anybody know if Burman had a archive or museum somewhere? It would be fantastic if we could find somebody who has publicity details regarding the use of a Burman steering Box in Bluebird K7. I must admit in all my years on the subject matter you always see Lucas Adverts,Castrol ,B.P but to name a few associating themselves with this unique record breaker. However I cannot recall ever seeing any adverts or publicity adverts linking Burman to Bluebird K7! Any lines of enquiry or leads would be great. The Birmingham post is a paper i have heard of and purchased from time to time but not sure how far back it would go? Can anybody suggest a name of a local paper that was around in the 50's if not the Birmingham post? Has anybody got elderly relations who may recall such a partnership between Donald Campbell & Burman?

The cutaway drawings I have viewed all show various parts of the craft i.e engine Dunlopillo seat frame but never that important bit under the front bow! I find that Strange but will continue with my quest. Thanks once again to all that have replied. Fingers crossed

Regards

Novie

The Bluebird Project

Hi All
As far as I am aware Burman Hiton when under at the begining of 2008 or was it 2009? If anybody knows differently let me know.Thanks to all those who have replied so far regarding my enquiry it is much appreciated. Lloyd is quite correct in his posting Re- Ken Norris and Lewis Norris & Accles and Pollock etc I didn't want to go into to much detail on that front.

Does anybody know if Burman had a archive or museum somewhere? It would be fantastic if we could find somebody who has publicity details regarding the use of a Burman steering Box in Bluebird K7. I must admit in all my years on the subject matter you always see Lucas Adverts,Castrol ,B.P but to name a few associating themselves with this unique record breaker. However I cannot recall ever seeing any adverts or publicity adverts linking Burman to Bluebird K7! Any lines of enquiry or leads would be great. The Birmingham post is a paper i have heard of and purchased from time to time but not sure how far back it would go? Can anybody suggest a name of a local paper that was around in the 50's if not the Birmingham post? Has anybody got elderly relations who may recall such a partnership between Donald Campbell & Burman?

The cutaway drawings I have viewed all show various parts of the craft i.e engine Dunlopillo seat frame but never that important bit under the front bow! I find that Strange but will continue with my quest. Thanks once again to all that have replied. Fingers crossed

Regards

Novie

The Bluebird Project
The only local papers i can remember from the late fifties were the Birmingham Mail and Dispatch, or was it Despatch. I used to deliver both when they were seperate papers.

Hello
Many Thanks once again to E. Gibson and Nick for your information and links. This gives me something to go looking at whilst I await anymore input from somebodys elderly relative that must have the answer to this question that leads me on a merry dance at the moment. But will a little time and research we will get there in the end. Thanks once again to all those who have posted a reply regarding my Enquiry Re Burman Steering Box and Donald Campbells Bluebird K7.

Cheers
Novie

Hi Eric Just struck me if you are a Member of the Morgan Owners club or if anybody on the site is a Member of another classic car club could I ask if you could seek any information regarding the Burman steering box and a possible link to Donald campbell and the Bluebird K7 Boat. Off to search some Paper archives if possible.

Many Thanks
Novie

Back