• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Railway Accident

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
Hi everyone

Cannot find any info on an incident which I feel must have been reported, can anyone help me locate this if it is there then I can navigate further.
LOOKING FOR
A railway accident in which a man was decapitated when looking out of a window while the train was in motion.:boohoo:
George Edward HINCE Death reg. Sept 1920 Tamworth he was only 29 years old.

Any ideas please.

Derek.

I think this must have been reported in a local newspaper, but I also suspect this kind of accident was more commonplace than we think. You need probably to look at what newspapers were around the Tamworth area at that time.

Shortie

Hi
I have found the search facility very hit and miss.
I searched the newspapers for a particular person's name and type of accident.
I had no luck at all until I entered 2 words that mentioned the area and where it took place (This was Yardley and Mill)
Instantly I got the info I was after and sure enough the newpaper article mentioned the person's name!!! So my question was why didn't it appear in my first search efforts? Now I knew the exact date I limited a search to that date with just the person's name. Did it come up in the search? NO!!!
So after all that, my advice is just keep trying various words that have a connection. Just because you haven't found it doesn't mean it isn't there:)

Suzanne

Thanks everyone for your help in looking, will try again as suggested by Suzanne.
You never know.

Derek

Have a good week end every one.

Hi Sparkhill Lad!

Most of the old newspaper sites contain only scanned images of pages. The search facility depends on character recognition, which is why it is sometimes "hit and miss", depending on the quality of the image (and of the original page). This makes searching the old papers more an art than a science. There are lots of nuggets there, but sometimes a very well-tuned metal detector is required to locate them. Try as many different search terms as you can think of.

Good luck! And come back here when you find what you're looking for (you've got me interested in this gruesome accident now!)

I would have thought an official inquirey would have taken place and a report submitted. This place looks a good place to start but I have no personal experience of it.

https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/m.h.ellison/nera/khoole/khoolecat/index.htm

MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT. RAILWAY ACCIDENTS. REPORTS BY INSPECTING OFFICERS OF RAILWAYS, OF INQUIREIS INTO ACCIDENTS WHICH OCCURRED DURING THE THREE MONTHS ENDING 30TH SEPTEMBER, 1920.
KH.2769
https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/index.php this site is a free search for all sorts of Railway documents and reports.

Im sure there must be some record of this unfortunate incident somewhere but it may not be considered as a Railway accident in the normal sence. It more an incident that happened on a train than an accident involving a train. As has already been stated deaths and injuries on trains are probably more common that we think, particularly the latter.

I would assume this incident is recorded in some Railway documents but probably not in sections that deal with Railway Accidents. Im now going to sit back and watch someone prove me wrong!

Good Morning Lloyd

Thanks for your suggestion,
I have just emailed Tamworth Library to see if they can help after the holiday.
Will let you know.

Spent ages looking at the great site suggested by Arkrite, while it had loads of information, nothing relating to our incident at the moment.
A good site to put into favs.

Have a good Bank Holiday all.

Derek

Back