• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rail to Road

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
My wife and moved out to Burton on Trent under the overspill scheme in 1957, most of the streets into the town had railway crossing gates, and we were very often held up by trains, night and day conveying beer out to the
siddings at Shobnall, and then out all over the country, In the early 1960s
we had a couple of rail strikes and within a short time all beer carring work
work went on to the roads. Ind Coopes and Bass bought fleets of lorries
and so the work was lost to BRail as it was then. The NUR and ASLEF didnot know what damage they were doing, and most of the goods that once went by rail all went on to the roads, the unions cut off their nose to
spite their face. It is a well known fact that you only get strong unions where you have weak management, this has been proven by British Leyland and many others. bye Bernard67Arnold :cool:

Back