• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rag Market

Hi lerryngal, re your post #7....The unmistakable Barbara Streisland double is still around and hardly looks any different!...I see her from time to time. Around 12 months ago, she was trading from one of those centre aisle stalls in Touchwood in Solihull. About 3 months ago, I saw her working in Dorothy Perkins by M & S in town. And a few weeks later, doing the rounds of the charity shops in Shirley, dressed up to the nines. What a character. She looked wonderful, and certainly stands out in a crowd with her thick auburn hair, heavy make-up and ample jewellery.

Florence :)
Thanks for letting me know. She's a right bu***** if you cross her though, as I found out when I was a kid and she chased my Mom through the rag-market. Crikey, she must be 70 if she's a day Lol!!!

My Grandad Jack Hill used to have a pram and on it was a grinder, and he would go round the Rag Market plying his trade and also round the streets. Anyone remember Jack Hill? He actually lived in a caravan in those days, and later BUILT a wooden house/bungalow in Glenavon Road, Kings Heath.

Leonard the 'Bull Ring' will always be just that though the new shopping development was renamed for some reason by the developers and as for the Rag Brummies will still call it such regardless of what anyone says.

th__DSC3664.jpg
Thanks Mariew

Help - shopping - Bull ring

I am coming to Birmingham for one day only by coach on 4th November. My problem is, I havent been to the centre of Brum in over 40 years and I want to get the most out of my 'short lived' visit. I want to know where the 'best' place is to shop (looking for Christmas presents and bargain basements). Bearing in mind I won't have transport after I have been dropped off, so the suburbs are a no no. I have heard about the Bull Ring but is there anywhere else in town not to be missed? Also you kind people where do I find a nice cosy pub for lunch?
Time is of the essence, so am relying on your tips.
Thanks, June

Hi ya hockleybrook being a biker don`t do much shopping , if i do it`s hi tek stuff .the last time i was shopping in the bull ring center shops i was looking for a bomb it was Xmas just after the IRA bombed brum .I love the new brum but find it all a bit to much , just head for the new bullring you will see the old market is still in the same place if you look up from the market and you will see all the shops and lots of food stores , happy shopping .

Back