• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queens Head

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
could i have look up please just to confirm that in 1880 the queens head pub in burbury st was indeed number 1. many thanks wales.:)

Lyn
In the 1880 directory the queens Head is no 112. but this would refer to 1879. In the 1883 directory (referring to 1882) it is no 1. In both cases Joseph Bagnell is listed as occupant. Interesting that no Joseph Bagnall, or apparently any Bagnall, in the 1881 census (according to ancestry) lived in burberry st, and no Joseph elsewhere listed himself as publican
mike

Last edited:
Was there a Queens Head in Aston, if so i think it would have been by Lozells Road.
Adele

Hi ADELE

After a quick look in just one Kelly's Directory (1937) I find

A Queens Arms in Victoria Rd
A Queens Hotel in Church Lane
A Queens Tavern in Queens Rd

But no Queens Head. Of course there may be one at a later date or in fact earlier. What sort of a time frame are you looking at. I will take a look at some other dates later.

Phil

the two queens heads i know of is the one that was on the corner of burbury st and bridge st west (demolished) and on the corner of farm st(still up and running..)

lyn

I lived in Queens Rd, Aston and the Queens Tavern was our local in 40s and 50s, sadly long since gone. I seem to remember it was known as the Top Queens, which would infer there was another at bottom of road ??? Eric

Last edited:
Lyn

Its more your neck of the woods than mine, but I have always thought of Burbury St and Farm St as lozells is that not so? Though I suppose like most of Birmingham on that side it would have been part of Aston at one time. So I suppose its all down to dates.

Phil

Cookie,
When I used these pubs in the 50s,what we called the "top Queens"was on the corner of Victoria Rd.and Park Rd.On the corner of of Queens Rd.was "Stellas Bar"...memorable for selling beer I didn't like.

hi phil..take no notice of me..im not thinking straight...:rolleyes: i was just trying to think of the queens heads i know of..yep i think the burbury st one came under lozells and the the farm st is hockley...so it wouldnt be any of those two that adele is thinking of...

lyn:)

Lyn

It's possible I think it was all Aston at one time. As I say it depends on the era ADELE is looking for.

Phil

yes ray is correct yes it was on victoria rd aston
on the corner of park rd and facing upper thomas st and 300 yardsfrom the vic picture house and facing the builders merchants
mr hortons the builders and the oppersite facing was the cake shop
where you got your 1d dripping cake when you came out of the swimming baths best wishes astonion;;;;;;

Back