• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pype Hayes Park pond renovation

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Went for a stroll in Pype Hayes park at the weekend - the colours on the trees at this time of year are real treat for the eyes and the bonfire is under construction ready for Guy Fawkes night .
Wandered down to the pond which I knew had been drained and cordoned off for a while now. The banks had been in a poor state of disrepair for years and are currently being rebuilt - I must admt it's looking pretty good. Three sides are complete and work is underway on the remaining side. The ' duck island' has also been given an overhaul although the trees have really been cut back they'll soon flourish.
Here are a few pictures on the pond renovation.

Spent many a happy hour as a teenager fishing in that pool with my mate Bruce Smith of No1 MARSHBROOK ROAD.(After he moved out of Upper Thomas Street ASTON with his Mom,Dad & sister Pat ).
Ho MORE HAPPY DAYS

Thanks Ian for the pics of the pond. I used to spend my time between Rookery Park where we used to play cricket up against the trees as wickets and Pype Hayes where I used to walk down the stream at the far end. I remember turning over the stones and seeing crayfish. Now of course the dreaded American Signal Crayfish has taken over most of our rivers and lakes (BUT they taste delicious!)
Next time I'm in Brum I'll have to have a walk around Pype Hayes park.

Back