• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Good to see the Swan, Erdington details. What a large site at that time. I think the shop(s) included in the sale on the corner of Wilton Street might at one time have been Shufflbothams. Viv.
Viv-There is a good photo on the thread-Where was this ? Shufflebothams Grocery.Oldun.

View attachment 77805
The Vesper Bell on the corner of Blythe Street and Ledsom Street Ladywood, rumour has it that it was so named because one could hear the Oratry Bell from inside the bar. It 's doors shut for the last time in 1958.
My great grandfather, Harry Styles, lived in Blythe Street; he slipped on the snow in Ledsam Street, in January 1936, dying several weeks later as a result of his accident, aged 78 years.

img007.jpg

Not really an old pub but it was built in the 60s so it's not a new one. Very popular for a few years after the opening but it needed a refurb in the 90s.
The Longboat ,later The Flapper and Firkin

Hi All, first post for a while, does anyone happen to know when Burlington Hall was demolished as I'm doing a little history on Aston High St but appear to have hit a brick wall Re: the hall?
Thanks all, Tony T.
Hi Tony
I believe there is a thread about Burlington hall on here Called "Burlington Hall Aston" you may find what you need. There is also a little information on this link

Last edited:
Hi Tony
I believe there is a thread about Burlington hall on here Called "Burlington Hall Aston" you may find what you need. There is also a little information on this link

Try as I may I still can't find the answers I need, is it possible the Hall was bulldozed around the 1968 road widening scheme which almost wiped out the High St?

PS Thank-You for your previous answer.

Try as I may I still can't find the answers I need, is it possible the Hall was bulldozed around the 1968 road widening scheme which almost wiped out the High St?

PS Thank-You for your previous answer.
A Compulsory Purchase Order in 1970-71 meant that the building became the property of the Corporation of Birmingham, and the work of the Burlington Hall Management Committee was taken over by the City Education Department who also became responsible for the management and finances of the new Newtown Community Centre which opened in October 1968. The final meeting of the Trustees was in c. 1970. Tom Greeves of Warwickshire Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends was on the Management Committee of the new Centre until 1971.

A Compulsory Purchase Order in 1970-71 meant that the building became the property of the Corporation of Birmingham, and the work of the Burlington Hall Management Committee was taken over by the City Education Department who also became responsible for the management and finances of the new Newtown Community Centre which opened in October 1968. The final meeting of the Trustees was in c. 1970. Tom Greeves of Warwickshire Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends was on the Management Committee of the new Centre until 1971.

Thanks for your reply, so, am I to understand that Burlington Hall was actually demolished in the early 70s?

Thanks again, Tony T.

hi tony from memory the hall was still standing in the early 70s...my best guess it was demolished middle to late 70s

lyn

hi tony from memory the hall was still standing in the early 70s...my best guess it was demolished middle to late 70s

lyn
Hi Lyn, again a big thank you for your info, I'm sure this will help me in my quest as to the hall's fate. Strange, but I've scoured the internet for some days now finding little knowledge of it's fate, but with your help I have at least narrowed down my options,
Thanks again, Tony T.

Hi everyone, I don’t know if anyone out there can help me but I was trying to find information about a pub in Birmingham. Apparently, from what I’ve been told the pub was called “The Sailors Arms”. I believe it had a bit of a reputation as being a pub that decent folks stayed away from. Not sure if it was connected with the Peaky Blinders. I was tracing my late fathers family tree (John Thomas Dale aka Jack) when stories of him lodging at this establishment came up. Quite intriguing about my father and his father, also John Thomas Dale (known as Boxer) have come to light but sadly non of the family are still around. This may be the wrong thread to make enquires but I thought the pub would be a start. Thanks.

Hi everyone, I don’t know if anyone out there can help me but I was trying to find information about a pub in Birmingham. Apparently, from what I’ve been told the pub was called “The Sailors Arms”. I believe it had a bit of a reputation as being a pub that decent folks stayed away from. Not sure if it was connected with the Peaky Blinders. I was tracing my late fathers family tree (John Thomas Dale aka Jack) when stories of him lodging at this establishment came up. Quite intriguing about my father and his father, also John Thomas Dale (known as Boxer) have come to light but sadly non of the family are still around. This may be the wrong thread to make enquires but I thought the pub would be a start. Thanks.
The Sailor's Return appears regularly on Kelly's but can't find a Sailors Arms, what year would it be?
1679654667325.png

I too have never heard of The Sailor's Arms, and cannot find it listed in Kellys. There are, however two references from different papers which mention the pub in a murder case. This could be a missprint, or it could be that locally the pub was given that name,

Ev Despatch. 8.9.1953. Sailors Arms.jpgBirm Gaz. 9.9.1953. Sailors Arms.jpg

I too have never heard of The Sailor's Arms, and cannot find it listed in Kellys. There are, however two references from different papers which mention the pub in a murder case. This could be a missprint, or it could be that locally the pub was given that name,

View attachment 178780View attachment 178781
As you say Mike it could well be a misprint, the Sailor's Return was very close to the scene of the murder.

Attachments

• st-andrews-rd.jpg
    st-andrews-rd.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 9
As you say Mike it could well be a misprint, the Sailor's Return was very close to the scene of the murder.
Maybe it's what some people called the pub then. They seem(ed) to have different names to the pubs here. When I used to frequent them, we had lots of names. My local was The Stag. It's actual name is or was The Old Stag. The Town Wall Tavern bar where we met/meet has a tiny bar known as The Donkey Box. Ma Brown's is The Old Windmill & Ma Cooper's The City Arms. The Kerryman's was St Brendan's Club and The Rock House was the Locarno. The Shed was The Bull's Head. The Neevod Eno, The Devonshire Arms. The Red Horse, The Old Red Horse. In my dad's era The Bolshy was The Barrass Heath. A really fascinating subject though.

I lived at a farm in Tile Cross opposite the White Hart pub,which I believe has been rebuilt.In those days you had a choice of beer--a pint of mild or half a mild!! That was it !!
At Xmas however,M & B put on their special Old Ale.If I remember correctly,it was 2 bob for a half and it was lovely stuff,one of those and you knew you'd had a drink! Of course,most pubs had an off licence--ours had a little window at the front tap the window and the barmaid appeared to fill up your jug and sell you a you a packet of fags.None of this "are you 18"malarky in those days as many parents sent their kids on that particular errand.Bare floors,no decor and no food,just a bag of Smiths crisps--don't eat the blue ones,they're very salty!
Tojo.

I lived at a farm in Tile Cross opposite the White Hart pub,which I believe has been rebuilt.In those days you had a choice of beer--a pint of mild or half a mild!! That was it !!
At Xmas however,M & B put on their special Old Ale.If I remember correctly,it was 2 bob for a half and it was lovely stuff,one of those and you knew you'd had a drink! Of course,most pubs had an off licence--ours had a little window at the front tap the window and the barmaid appeared to fill up your jug and sell you a you a packet of fags.None of this "are you 18"malarky in those days as many parents sent their kids on that particular errand.Bare floors,no decor and no food,just a bag of Smiths crisps--don't eat the blue ones,they're very salty!
Tojo.
nice memories of the days when pubs were just pubs...these days i like the smiths salt your own plain crisps that come with a little blue packet of salt...sometimes i dont bother with salt and more than once while pulling out the crisps i have accidently put the blue bag in my mouth :D

lyn

nice memories of the days when pubs were just pubs...these days i like the smiths salt your own plain crisps that come with a little blue packet of salt...sometimes i dont bother with salt and more than once while pulling out the crisps i have accidently put the blue bag in my mouth :D

lyn
A lot more than once for me! I would love to get my hands on a couple of bags :) with a pint or two!

forgot you do not live in england richard..have to say they do take me right back to my childhood sitting in the garden of our local pub eating a bag of crisps and a glass of lemonade...happy days

lyn
I used to go cycling using YHAs frequently, the first time we went to Great Yarmouth, the had a Smith’s plans very close and sold broken crisps, OMG needless to say we went there a few times :)

The Sailor's Return appears regularly on Kelly's but can't find a Sailors Arms, what year would it be?
View attachment 178779
Hi, Dad was born 1910 and went off to WW11 around 1940. After the war he returned to Brum with his wife and settled down, so I would imagine he was lodging at the pub around the mid 30s. I was in touch with a long lost relative a few years back who mentioned the name of the pub and was told by her mother (someone who was close to dad) that it was a place where you stayed away from. Unfortunately that relative has gone completely quiet now and I am no longer in touch with her. I do know that my dad was involved in some dodgy dealings before the war and some rather unscrupulous people. All very mysterious, thanks for looking anyway.

I was thinking some more about those old pubs in the old times with the old gaffers always there as though part of the fixtures and fittings often playing crib or shuffling the doms.What magic times,but you only realised it much later--like now !. I'm thinking that modern pubs are much better,but,somehow not as good--if you know what I mean !
Tojo.

In the early 60s I used to go with a pal from work to a pub called The Old New Inn somewhere in the Lapworth area.I've tried,without success,to locate this pub.Does anyone remember it? Is it still going under another name perhaps? It was alongside the canal.
Tojo.

Back