• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Alan
Was it The Guild pub? you are talking about ?
Sorry, replied before I saw Phil's answer

hi mike and phil;
many thanks to you both for your time thats excactly the pub i wanted to know as it was on our door step
my dear old mother was the cleaning lady for them and the landladys daughter was a stage dancer on tour with the old batchelor
brothers and they was in blackpool on this occasion so the daughter thought i will pop back home to her parents for afew days
before they moved on to there next gig in some part of the country
It was a sunday morning for mom to clean ; early in the morning , mom knew the daughter but not her other half
whilst in the smoke room ; a fella cam,e out from tjhe quarters ; and he asked would she like a cup of tea and she said yes
and then looked up and not really taking much notice of his face even thou he had the irish twang
he brought out a cuppa tea ;to her and sat down ; she thought to herself his face is familiar
eventualy the land lady came out and said do you know whom that was that made your tea ;because she was not thinking
she said his face is familiar to me she said yes joyce thats connie one of the batchelor brothers the singers
and they are touring with our daughter and they are performing in blackpool and he his her partner
well she never washed her face for a week and kept on to all her friends about him ;
yes you are correct thats one of our haurnts pub there was an old gyspy fella in the smoke room sitting in the corner
it used to be 5 30 opening times and he would be there with a big cannariry sitting on his shoulder
we would have started our drinking bender friday nights and saturday nights at the queens head nipp across the rd to the coach and horses
then up to the colledge arms then the guild then to the B,A then a couple of yards to the duke of wellinton ;
then the old windmill ; then the lee bridge taveren and divert down to the shakespear then down to the yorkshire grey then up to seven stars
saturday nights we would do the ickneild street run down to hockley and up to handsworth and end up in the star and garter at the old little town centre of west bromwich with a botle of old johnys walker on the table between the three of us
best wishes Astonian;

The Beard Inn and information with the pic says it was in the High St. Unusual name for a pub.
IMG_0441.jpeg

Pub name should be 'Board Inn' ref post #1087

Last edited:
Very unusual name!. I was thinking of your topic as I went to a folk night and an Australian living in the UK sang a song about the demise of our pubs. He reworked "The Pub With No Beer" to 'The Beer With No Pub" and he used about 40 of Coventry's hostelries which are no longer and what they are now, i.e. The Bell doesn't ring and the Acorn has dropped of the tree, The Crow in The Oak is minus the crow etc. I am sure a good Brummie lyricist could do the same or maybe he does one for Brum pubs? I should have asked. One of his punch lines was the unusual places that now sell 'voile' beer rather than a from a pub and a bunch of lads having to drink from a beer crate in a car park.

Clearer pic Mohawk...

Board inn Bull Ring  Phillips St:Bull Ring 1958.jpg

BOARD INN, Phillips Street / High Street

Formerly known as the Board Vaults. Up until the First World War it had an early morning licence, and opened at 6.00am for the thirsty barrow boys. Being near the Fish Market it was affectionately known as the COD’S HEAD. During the 1880’s it was also known as FOX’S , taking its name from a popular licencee of the time. The pub was taken over by Atkinsons Brewery at the end of the Century, whence it seems to have changed its name to the BOARD INN. Just before the end of the First World War, its licensee was one Anthony Diamond, the Amateur Heavyweight Boxing Champion of England, needlees to say that trouble was not much in evidence when he was behind the Bar. Incidentally, he later became the landlord of The Great Western in Acocks Green, next to the Station.

Thanks for that Dennis, 'Board' does make more sense than 'Beard', well maybe !
Some interesting old shop names in your photo.

Yes,two years before that photo, I was doing a Saturday job just top left of picture, next to Stylos at BYWATERS....in the cellar, cutting up chitterlings (whatever they were)...and carrying boxes of pork pies up and down ancient, narrow stairs...could never ever face a pork pie since!

The Beard Inn is more fitting a name with this picture,The man carrying the child looks like Father Christmas at first glance.

Looking through some old forum images I had saved in the past, I noticed one of this fine very large old pub. I appears to be the Hare and Hounds on the corner of York Rd in Kings Heath and the date looks pre 1920s. The clock tower is interesting. According to a thread here the pub was still there in the 1970s but I can't see it now on streetview .
HareandHounds.jpg

The Hare & Hounds is on streetview.

hare_and_hounds_kings_heath.jpg

Yes,two years before that photo, I was doing a Saturday job just top left of picture, next to Stylos at BYWATERS....in the cellar, cutting up chitterlings (whatever they were)...and carrying boxes of pork pies up and down ancient, narrow stairs...could never ever face a pork pie since!
Chitterlings are pigs' intestines which my nan ate cooked with vinegar salt and pepper, on their owm she called them chickerlins.

Most pub names are self explanatory, but there are one or two that take some thinking about. The Vampire in Edmund Street, was this an early tribute to Mr Stokers Dracula?. The Mazeppa in Yates Street was it called after the opera or the poem even if so was it not a bit sophisticated for a working class area in those days? The Pheonix in Park Street, did it rise again newly built after a fire? If you do know the reason for the naming of these pubs then please let me have your ideas because I'm sure many besides myself would be interested.

Attachments

• City Great Edmund Street Vampire.jpg
    City Great Edmund Street Vampire.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Aston Mazeppa Aston Yates St.jpg
    Aston Mazeppa Aston Yates St.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 59
  • City Park St Pheonix.jpg
    City Park St Pheonix.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 54
Our Phoenix which is now a Chinese restaurant was so called because Coventry rose from the ashse of the blitz in WW2 maybe that's why yours is so called?

The first Phoenix was built 1720 and this was the original name I believe, rebuilt later to the three storey brick house shown here, complete with sign of a Phoenix rising from the ashes.......

Phoenix Inn  Park Street 1867.jpg

Also had a link to the Murphy riots as it was deep in the Irish Quarter then....

.Phoenix Hotel narrative.jpg

This is a drawing of The Phoenix in 1867 when the Murphy Riots took place, mind you I don't suppose the artist sat there and sketched it whilst the local population rioted. The Phoenix is on the right hand side and I don't think it suffered any great damage in the riots. So it didn't rise from the ashes then anyway.

Attachments

• City Park St Murphy Riots 1867.JPG
    City Park St Murphy Riots 1867.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 52
Cheers Phil...posted this story some time ago now on the Park Lane Pubs Thread...and lost that pic! (which the narrative refers to). The Vampire pub looks a smasher! Never heard of it before...but the meat carcasses hanging next door might put me off going in anyway!!!

hi phil not your fault of course but the vampire was at 33 gt hampton row not gt edmund st...i have been doing a bit of research on this one recently and found out something most unusal about it....i will be starting up a new thread just for this pub although i think there is one for it already.

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

All I know is I have two different photos of The Vampire and they both are tagged Great Edmund Street, as usual I have no idea where I picked them up from. When I am unfamiliar with a pub the normal thing I would do would be to check it out with Kelly's. In this case because I have two from different sources I didn't bother. As I am always saying it never pays to assume anything, because whenever I do I get caught out. Here is the other photo that I have,

Attachments

• City Great Edmund Street Vampire2[1].jpg
    City Great Edmund Street Vampire2[1].jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 72
happens all the time phil...what a fantastic photo that is...i wonder is those are the foreign plants mentioned in the advert..phil if you go to the pubs section ive updated the vampire pub thread...will post this pic on it if you dont mind..

Does anyone know anything about a pub called the "Hope and Anchor"? I believe it was in Green Street - according to the electoral roll of 1927 my Uncle was the landlord. He was John Henry Campbell (known as Harry) and his wife was Emily. I think they left in about 1928 according to Kelly's and then went to Gloucester and ran a pub there.

Janice

#1107, those 3 old boys at the front, could have served in the "Crimea", as lads, note the clay pipes, and there is only one with dirty shoes, the stalwarts of Victorian working class Brum, lovely photo Phil, the man at the far right at the back looks "Jewish", while you can denote the mere working man who is wearing flat caps, and the more higher status workers bowlers, the highest, no head gear at all.

Back