• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Hi

Thanks for replying. My grt,grt,grt grandmother Elizabeth b 1823 married Richard Goldby in 1867, but they didn't stay together long. They were found to have argued in the street about Richard having an afair with a lady he worked with at a Hotel (So it says in a newspaper cutting I have). Richard is found remarried after Elizabeth's death in 1881. Elizabeth also had a few articles in the paper where she ended up in court and for a fight breaking out at the Dinning Rooms. Elizabeth herself was born in Handsworth but lived in Lodge Rd and Bacchus Winson Green around 1840. Before running the Dinning room she ran a Dinning Room/Refreshment House in Chapel St by St Bart's.

Regards

Peter

hi bayliss
just clocked your thread this morning and i am wondering my family tree members could be slghtly connected to yours and coinincidence being they was in the same proffesion as my grand fathers brother marrid an E Goldby in those period of time and my cousin is a goldby as he got to the age of consent he changed is surname
and got marrid he is now a high flyer in our society in oxford [ goverment officier ] and it also a number in winson green rd from years ago that they occupeid an house
on winson green rd ; and by coincidence i know personaly a mary anne sparrow from way back ; i am very much intrested in this thread of yours i will go back to my papers and dig more info out have a great day best wishes Astonian;;;

hi bayliss ;
the more i read your thread i am more than intrigued to dig out my tit bits of uncle bill [ william] as if i recall they split up and he married some-one else and thats why cousin ray changed is name from goldby and eventualy got married but the break up of william and goldby i shall never know
i dont think i should asked ray if he recalsbreakng up from his mother all those years ago [ as the old saying goes let sleeping dogs lay ;]
the last time i read the abode hey was i think it was at 138 winson green rd which also corresponds to your addres of bccus rd and lodge rd wich is just the bottom end of winson green by the prison walls around the bend so its abit like a coincidence there might just be a connection ;
it will be tommorrow before i can cross check the full name of goldby and and the years it was in he early years of life i,m afraid
but i will come back to you okay speak soon astonian;;

hi all has anyone got a photo of the birmingham horse 21 moseley st my wife lived opposite and would make a nice suprise she left in about 1967 and it was still standing

I would say it is preferable but at least close by and or with a strong connection to Birmingham or to Brummies Nico.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi bayliss
just cross checked my golby whom married my grand fathers brother she was named as elsie goldy living in those local address i had mentionioned
i have yet to research whom was her parents and sibblings and where she came but i will research and asked a family member for info ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Jimbo

There is no photo with your post, but this is the Birmingham Horse Barford Street.

Attachments

• Cheapside  Birmingham Horse Barford St.JPG
    Cheapside Birmingham Horse Barford St.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 93
I would say it is preferable but at least close by and or with a strong connection to Birmingham or to Brummies Nico.
My old pub photo belonged to my family in Hereford. It is now relocated near Ludlow now a tea room. I was born in Brum as are other descendants so maybe not then.

This is the Woodbine Tavern Grove Lane Handsworth, obviously taken a few years back as it looks to be surrounded by open space. I would think it was named for the plant and not the cigarette. I note that from Google maps it's being renovated, anybody know what it's going to be, in fact it might be open by now. In all the times I travelled up and down Grove Lane I never even noticed this pub, anybody ever use it?

Attachments

• Handsworth Grove Lane The Woodbine Tavern.jpg
    Handsworth Grove Lane The Woodbine Tavern.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 58
I do have a spirit measure from the Wig and Pen or Pen and Wig that my Great Great Aunt and Uncle kept in Brum. Clutching at Brummie starws here I think. Nico:ambivalence:

Has anyone got a photo of the Dolphin pub which stood at the junction of Charles Henry Street / Vaughton Street/ Angelina Street and William Edward Street in the 1950's?

hi carol the only photos i have of the dophin pubs is the one on the corner of frankfort st/hospital st and the one in irving st...hopefully phil may be able to help..

lyn

Sorry I can't help with a photo of the Dolphin in Highgate as I don't think I have ever seen one. If I come across one then I will post it.

Carolina

I have photos of about six different Dolphins and none of them are of the one FRH requires you can bet there probably more than the ones I have photos of, it must have been a popular name for a pub.

best i can do at the min...the dolphin charles henry st...it was on e bay sold for £19 last dec..

dolphin charles henry street.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Astoness. Spot on. You can see the St Martins flats in the background. My uncle Bill lived in that place in the 1940's and 50's and my grandad used to have his jug of beer from there. All the family lived in Balsall Heath until the late 50's then we got scattered all over the country like so many other families. Thanks so much for the photo you've made an old man very happy tonight.

Well done Astoness. Spot on. You can see the St Martins flats in the background. My uncle Bill lived in that place in the 1940's and 50's and my grandad used to have his jug of beer from there. All the family lived in Balsall Heath until the late 50's then we got scattered all over the country like so many other families. Thanks so much for the photo you've made an old man very happy tonight.

hello FRH..happy to help but if i can find a better photo of the dolphin i will certainly post it on this thread for you..

all the best

lyn

I have really enjoyed looking at these old photos and some of the comments. Any of you know anything of a pub on the corner of Birchall Street and Cheapside called Duke of Edinburgh?? I would be interested in some history / photo's. I believe it was a home brew pub, later taken by Holts Brewery, unless someone knows different?

Hi Debbie

All I have been able to find out is at 64 Birchall St which was on or near the junction of Cheapside there was a beer retailer in 1903 it was listed to Albert Chinn and in 1913 it was listed to Edward Hill. My next Kelly's Directory 1937 does not list it at all so it was most likely gone by then.

The only Duke of Edinburgh I can find is listed in 1940 Kelly's but is on the Dudley Road. It is marked as a beer retailer only.

Janice

hin mike;
i was wondering whether opr not as you have got alot of maps on old pubs can you come up with an answer for the pub that when
walking up from springhill passing the colledge pub and before you get to clissold passage just befor the cannal there was a little pub
along side of the little shops that you come to as no sooner you have passed the colledge arms they was a tiny pub
is it possible you come up up with the name i used to used that one as well in my time but for love nor money i cannot think of it
i know the names opf all the other pubs but just cannot think of it many thanks astonian;

Astonian, according to my 1948 Kelly's there is a Pub listed as The Guild (Wm Alfd Docwra) at 205 Spring Hill. It was situated between 197 Thomas Frederick Hardwick Shopkeeper, and 207 Norman Harold Groves, watch and clock repairs. Hope this helps.
jimbo

Alan

This was The Guild that was at 205 Spring Hill, is this the pub that you are looking for?

Attachments

• Hockley Spring Hill The Guild.JPG
    Hockley Spring Hill The Guild.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 63
Back