• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

I had a friend who lived in weoley Park Road just a couple of minutes away from the Raven and over the years I have noticed the area going down slowly.

Stitcher I lived 67 Weoley Park Road in the middle 70s to early 80s. The part I lived in was the one from Bristol Road and not the part that went along the cemetry/

When the man I knew died, his family sold the house because they were married and had moved out. Developers bought it and built a small culdisac of houses on the land that was the back garden but the original house was tarted up and re-sold. It was/is at the opposite end to you.

The Crown Inn.jpg1962.
The Crown Inn on the junction of Corporation Street and James Watt street was built in 1888 and became known as The Crown Restaurant.

Hi thanks shortie
i will be going that way very shortly an i will be going down that part of the bristol rd tonight within the next hour as we are off
see our daughter to celebrate

Salutation Inn Alma Street. This old pub shows here and there in other threads but does not seem to be in this thread, so here is a link so it can join the 250 pub pics already in this thread.

Thanks for this wonderful thread Stitch. I always look forward to reading it and looking at the photos.

Hello Moss, my brother in law used to own the Minerva Vaults but I never went in there, he sold it and went into the guest House business. I did not know it had become The Hampton.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi stich;
yes indeed it was the bakers ;and the latest was around the eightyies that was closed down i can recall
and it was not for the lack of trade eitherit was the organised crime and criminal actitivys by big time crooks
and it was politicaly a meeting place for a certain group which i will not confirm as to the well known ;people whom used it as a meeting place
for doing there transanctions it was ashame really a nice new pub when built andhalf decent people used it ;
have a nice day ;best wishes astonian ;;

Image10_The_Steam_Clock_Ladywood.jpg
I do not have a date and I do not remember it so it may be an old one.

View attachment 78424
The Coach & Horses Balsall Heath.
About twelve months ago someone applied to re-open this place as a smoking parlour for a drug that is allowed in this country but is illegal in the rest of the world. I never heard if it did re-open or not.

Isn't it strange how most people refer to it as The Sack of Potatoes,when it has always been SACKS of Potatoes.moss

Aston Lane and Trinity Road, The Holte. mid to late 1940s.jpgAbout 1945, I think.
The Holte on the corner of Aston Lane and Trinity Road.

The Reservoir..jpg
When I worked on the door at the Tower I passed this one twice a night for a few years and I never entered the place once.

View attachment 78283No date I'm afraid.
The Brewer and Baker at Camp Hill.

The Brewer and the Baker" used to have a painting and a poem on it's facade depicting an arguement between the Baker who said "I am the Staff of Life" and the Brewer who retorted. "But I am Life Itself". My mother worked there in the late 50's early 60s and the licensee was one JAMES BOND! Slightly shaken, not stirred.

Probably something I ought to be ashamed to admit, but on the very first date with the girl I later married, I took her to see The Artesian Hall Stompers at The Birmingham Arms. This was in 1970. Not exactly a candle-lit dinner at a posh night-club... The gaffer was a hard Irishman, who always kept a stool-leg behind the bar in case there was an altercation or difference of opinion amongst his clientele. You walked in, and then had to climb a flight of steep stairs to where they had the jazz. No bar upstairs - there was a serving-hatch downstairs. Frankly, a real dump, but dear to my heart....41 years later the same girl and I still go to listen to live music wherever it's played, and we play it ourselves to anyone who'll listen.

Stitch, would you happen to know what year The Birmingham Arms closed?

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee, I am sorry but I have no idea when it closed and can I just say that in my opinion there is nothing wrong with taking your good lady to see "The Stompers". It shows the sort of taste I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stitch,

At a guess, I think The Brum Arms closed in the early 1980's. Ah, The Stompers graced many a city-centre pub in Brum, and there's a thread on this Forum dedicated to them. These days we're into blues rather than trad jazz, and on June 20th we have our monthly Blues Jam organised by my wife at The Station Hotel in Sutton Coldfield. Pardon the plug....and sorry to go off-thread.

And me name's not Mike....but never mind!!!

G

Back