• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Do you know the photo's from the late 50's and early 60's always show how clean and tidy the city used to be even before all the mechanical paraphinalia we have now. Thinking back I don't remember the city being overly untidy do any of you.!?
paul

Funnily enough I remember The Saddlers before it was demolished, but not after it was rebuilt. Just where on Aldridge Road was it, Stitcher? I assume it's no longer there. Thanks,

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee, I am sorry I can't help you, I am sorting through all my old papers and envelopes of stuff I put into the loft years ago. I also purchased a brass and copper miners lamp and that came with a lot of pictures and papers. Many of them have limited information with them and some have none.
stitcher.

Thanks Stitcher. Thinking about it, I wonder if the rebuilt Saddlers was where the greyhound stadium is now. Someone will know, I've no doubt.

All the best,

Big Gee

I don,t remember this pub but I am sure it was not on the greyhound,track I can remember that being there in the 50s along with Harris Cleaners next door I don,t think there were any shops in that spot either. This is a puzzler to me as the looks like the new "Old Crown and Cushion"Dek

I shall ask me dad tomorrow Stich,but I don't ever remember another pub in Franchise St.other than the Wellhead on the corner of Wellhead Lane.
G G Jean may know both of our grans lived in Franchise St.

In the 1956 directory Horace Alfred Pullinger (as in photo) was at 14 Aldridge Road, next to the Saddlers arms,

I think the Saddlers was, as Stitcher says, on the corner of Franchise St and Birchfield Rd at the time when Franchise St ran all the way from Wellhead Lane to Birchfield Rd (possibly Aldridge Rd, I can't remember for sure). At some point in time Franchise St was closed, just past the Wellhead Tavern (which was actually halfway down Franchise St and not on the corner of Wellhead Lane). I think I'm right about all this, but stand to be corrected.

Big Gee

We need a member with all the gubbins about past Licencees and the like.

Hi Stitcher: Astonian knows a lot about the old Pubs of Brum. Maybe he will see your post.

Hello jennyann, I was hoping for a bit of input from Astonian because as you say he does know many of the older establishments, and those who used them.
stitcher

This is the inside of the "Wellhead" on this photo.in the light coloured coat, front row, is my gran,the third lady to her right is G G Jeans nan.
It was definately on the corner of Wellhead Lane,opposite Kynochs,in fact Jean said it is still there.There has been a photo.of it taken outside on the forum,but I couldn't find it.

As an aside during the war,when there was a raid on, the gaffer of the Wellhead used to go along Franchise St.collect all the pensioners and guide them to realative safety of the pubs cellar.

Attachments

• m_The Wellhead Franchise St.jpg
    m_The Wellhead Franchise St.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 153
  • m_the Wellhead.jpg
    m_the Wellhead.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 120
Hello Ray, I was never in The Wellhead, but that is not surprising because I have never been a drinker as such but the thing that strikes me is how pleasant and clean everyone looks in most of the old pub photos.

What a great photo, those wonderful, lovely people now sadly all gone, brings back memories of ones I remember so like them,
do anything for you, with no thought of reward, always there for you, in a crisis so unlike to-day.
paul

Ray I put the other photo on of a group of chaps outside with a bucket collecting for something. I think my granddad was on it. Must find it and re post it. Jean.

Forgot to say there are photo's on the walls in the pub that were borrowed off my mom and never returned. I must go and ask if I can photograph them. They are where belong I suppose. Jean.

img026~0.jpg

The second establishment from the left, No. 28 is or was The Woodman. It was in Jamaica Row which was known as a thoroughfare off Edgbaston Street in the area of Smithfield. The date of the photo is 1890.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI GANG ; AND ESPECIAL TO MY OLD FRIEND STICHER
FIRST OF ALL I AM SORRY TO HAVE MISED AFEW THREADS ON THE FORUM;BUT I HAVE BEEN EXPERIRNCING AFEW THINGS OF LATE
FIRSTLY OUR SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN TARGETTED BY THE HACKERS VERY BADLY ; WHICH WAS MUCH TO OUR SURPRIZE BUT WE NOW NOW WHERE IT CAME FROM ; ;FROM A FOREGIN SOURCE AS WE DEAL WITH FOREIGN COUNTRY,S DAILY SENDING OUT TO THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE PLANT
SECONDLY I HAVE BEEN EXPEIENCING PROBLEMS WITH IN THE FAMILY ; WITH ONE THING OR ANOTHER PLUS MY LATE INJURY I HAD STILL EXPERIENCEING
BUT NOW OUR SYSTEMS ARE ALL UP AND RUNNING FINE ;
I SEE JENNY ANN AND STICH ARE LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON A THREAD CAN YOU PLEASE REQUEST WHAT THE THREAD WAS I GATHER ITS TO DO WITH A PUB SO IF I CAN HELP I WILL TRY Y BEST TO RESOLVE IT FOR YOU
SPEAKING OF PUBS I WENT TO WARICK RD THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS THE BRITTAINA AND MUCH TO MY SURPRIZE THEY ARE OPENING UP AS A CAR DEALERSHIP ;
I TOOK MY YOUNG SON DOWN THERE TO BUY HIM A SECOND HAND CAR WHICH WAS STORED AROUND THE BACK I MET THE OWNER AND HE SAID E IS HOPEING
TO BE UP AND RUNNING BY JUNE BUT I COULD NOT SEE IT HAPPENING ; THE HAVE BUILTTWO CONCRETE OST SLAP BANG IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OLD BAR
HE SAID HIM SELF HE COULD NOT SEE HIMGETING CARS INTO THE BAR SECTION ;HE MAY HAVE TO REMOVE THEM AND START AGAIN
BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS A AURTHER DAILY MERCHANT BUT ON WHAT WE SEEN WITH THE PARTICULAR CAR IT WAS SCRAP AND THE OTHERS
DID NOT SEEM UP TO SCRATCH AND I WAS TELLLING HIM OF MY INVOLMENT WITH THE LOCAL PUBS AROUND THE AREA AND OF THE LAST TWO GATHERS ; AND THE LAST ONE CAME TO DUBLIN WITH US AND THE BREWERY MANAGERS AND HE WAS A PUNCH DRUNK GATHER AND THE ONE BEFORE HIM KEPT A VERY TIGHT REIGN ON THE PUB AND CLEAN AS WELL WHOM RETIRED ;
ANY WAY I CAN LOOK AT THIS THREAD IF NOBODY AS COME UP WITH ANY ANSWERS AND AS I SAID I WILL TRY AND ANSWER FR STICH AND JENNY
AND ITS NICE TO BE BACK ON AIR BEST WISHES EVERY BODY Astonian alan ;;

Astonian, how nice to know you are still up and about. Sorry to hear about the problems within the family but alas these thing do unfortunately happen from time to time.
The query was on the old pubs thread when I posred a photo of The Saddlers Arms on Aldridge Road. My information was that it was near to Franchise Street until it was demolished to make way for the Birchfield underpass and there was some query as to whereabouts of both of them. I hope you can help us.
stitcher

HI Stich ;
yes it was demo; eventualy at the start of the aston by pass and i beleive it was with in walking distance of walkers chocolate factory
and being a close resident to the whle complex i can recall the wholelengh of the destruction from one end to the other end to the city it was distracous to live by it for us inhabbitants for years and it was taylor and woodrow complex to build to be responible for building it
the amount of lead piping coming from the whole comples would have filled to the top of a sky scraper at six ways
and inkerman house was the first built around alma street astonian;

img015.jpg

1935, Vicarage Road Kings Heath and we looking at The Red Lion. Another lovely building that was first opened August 1904.

Went in there once,the draught beer was so bad we returned it,and the gaffer got very uppity,but changed it for bottled beer.

Back