• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs in Erdington

Trendy 60s

Hi, I've just come across a photo of my son's great-grandfather taken in 1977 in a pub in Edington, with his old boxing pals from whom he boxed in the 1920s/ 30s his name was Leonard Smith boxing name was 'Tiger Smith' on the photo with him is Harry Mason, and Mo Moss and others boxers from that period of time. I was hoping someone might know of an old pub with which they would have gathered years ago. In the pub, you can see old boxing photos hanging on the wall over by the bar. The pub might not be still in existence now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Len.jpg
    Len.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 57
its a smashing photo trendy..i dont recognise what pub it is taken in but hopefully someone may know especially members who know erdington better than i do..looking at the windows it does seem as though it could be quite an old pub..

lyn

Last edited:
My first thought was The Royal Oak on Marsh Lane. It had small rooms and those sort of windows too (it was up for sale for £275,000 last year).

1679218561149.jpeg
images
images

My first thought was The Royal Oak on Marsh Lane. It had small rooms and those sort of windows too (it was up for sale for £275,000 last year).

View attachment 178671
images
images
I too thought either Royal Oak or New Inns but had doubts about the windows. The window in the original are casement windows not sliding sash.

I have a few photos of Erdington so will have a look though them later.

Can Confirm Its Highly Unlikely To Be The New Inn - Or The Royal Oak - Being Worked In Both And Currently Own The New Inn The Background Doesn't Match ?Either From Historical Pictures - My Bet Would Be The ''Private Buffs Men's Only Room'' Located On The Second Floor Of The Red Lion Pub

Can Confirm Its Highly Unlikely To Be The New Inn - Or The Royal Oak - Being Worked In Both And Currently Own The New Inn The Background Doesn't Match ?Either From Historical Pictures - My Bet Would Be The ''Private Buffs Men's Only Room'' Located On The Second Floor Of The Red Lion Pub
thanks for that and welcome to the forum

lyn

Is this the 'Red Lion' pub you refer to corner of Station RoadRed Lion Short Heath Rd - Station Rd Erd.jpg?

I was watching BBC News last night and there was a feature on "The New Inns" on Summer Road, Erdington. In the wake of the Crooked House fire, CAMRA and the West Midlands Combined Authority have drawn up a list of pubs to see if and how they can be protected. The New Inns was highlighted as a pub that is under threat and which is due to close at the end of this month.

The owners, RedCat Pub Company are putting the pub up for sale. The present landlords had offered to purchase the pub, but that offer was rejected. The Black family who have been landlords for six years, fear the pub could be sold for redevelopment (like the Crooked House, it isn't listed) and understand the owners may be looking for a temporary landlord to run the pub, until it is sold.

A petition to save the pub already has over a thousand signatures. Too many pubs have already closed in Erdington in recent years and locals clearly feel strongly that this one shouldn't be added to that list, I hope that something can be done to keep it and other such Birmingham pubs open. I have added links to the news story below from the BBC and Birmingham Live:

1695472235358.png
BBC News link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66895677
Birmingham Live link: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...oers-gutted-popular-birmingham-venue-27754161

sad news john...i just hope the pub is well protected when the current landlords move out and fair play to them for trying to buy the news inns...i wonder when it was built ?

lyn

sad news john...i just hope the pub is well protected when the current landlords move out and fair play to them for trying to buy the news inns...i wonder when it was built ?

lyn
Kellys Directory show the following entries for "Publican or other Resident" @ The New Inns, Lyn:

1900/Mrs Ann Macey.

1905/Arthur Williams.

1915/George Samuel Chance.

1940/Ernest W Brooks.

Was it definitely in Erdington Trendy? I found this from 2009 when I was looking for boxing at the Rose and Crown in Gravelly Lane. However, this pub is in Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham. Posted by JohnO.

The 'Rose and Crown' was once the home of the reknown 'Imperial Amateur Boxing Club' (Imperial ABC.) run by Jim Smith, nephew of the Warwickshire cricketing legend, 'Tiger' Smith.
My late father, fighting under the name of 'Archie Woodbine' was an instructor there, during the early-to-mid 1930's, following his retirement from the ring. He had nearly 400 fights, amateur and professional. He returned to the ring in 1943 and fought a further fifteen bouts before hanging-up his gloves forever.
The pub itself was a popular venue for all manner of boxers, many of whom were the best in the land - including World Champions, both amateur and professional; Olypiads included!
Other, more dubious characters, loosely associated with the fight-game, visited too.....including 'Machine Gun' Jack McGurn and ' Legs' Diamond. The latter being on a 'buying' trip from the then 'Prohibition' States.....he hired a ship and filled it with Scotch Whisky! I have no idea if the ship's mission was successful; does anyone know??? Our 'home-grown' mobster, the infamous 'Jack Spot' also spent a few evenings at the Rose and Crown when away from the 'Smoke'.
All pubs could tell a tale or two, but those of the Rose and Crown could fill volumes!

Hi Again Trendy you've probably seen this thread but just in case:

I was watching BBC News last night and there was a feature on "The New Inns" on Summer Road, Erdington. In the wake of the Crooked House fire, CAMRA and the West Midlands Combined Authority have drawn up a list of pubs to see if and how they can be protected. The New Inns was highlighted as a pub that is under threat and which is due to close at the end of this month.

The owners, RedCat Pub Company are putting the pub up for sale. The present landlords had offered to purchase the pub, but that offer was rejected. The Black family who have been landlords for six years, fear the pub could be sold for redevelopment (like the Crooked House, it isn't listed) and understand the owners may be looking for a temporary landlord to run the pub, until it is sold.

A petition to save the pub already has over a thousand signatures. Too many pubs have already closed in Erdington in recent years and locals clearly feel strongly that this one shouldn't be added to that list, I hope that something can be done to keep it and other such Birmingham pubs open. I have added links to the news story below from the BBC and Birmingham Live:

View attachment 184714
BBC News link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66895677
Birmingham Live link: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...oers-gutted-popular-birmingham-venue-27754161
with help i have done a bit of research on the new inns...found out that it once had its own bowling green...the land goes right through to new sutton road so sizeable...here are few photos i took the other day when i popped in..the photo of the packed boxes in the back room contained the pubs trophies...i believe the last day it will be open is on saturday...fingers crossed it will be kept as a pub as we have lost so many over the decades...its a very clean pub with a warm welcome and i wish the outgoing landlords all the very best

lyn

View attachment 184822thumbnail (37).jpgthumbnail (36).jpgthumbnail (35).jpgthumbnail (34).jpgthumbnail (33).jpgthumbnail (32).jpgthumbnail (31).jpg

Last edited:
with help i have done a bit of research on the new inns...found out that it once had its own bowling green...the land goes right through to new sutton road so sizeable...here are few photos i took the other day when i popped in..the photo of the packed boxes in the back room contained the pubs trophies...i believe the last day it will be open is on saturday...fingers crossed it will be kept as a pub as we have lost so many over the decades...its a very clean pub with a warm welcome and i wish the outgoing landlords all the very best

lyn

View attachment 184822View attachment 184823View attachment 184824View attachment 184825View attachment 184826View attachment 184827View attachment 184828View attachment 184829
Thank you Lyn. Some very nice pictures of the old bar. The owners have now said the following, “As we have repeatedly told the tenant, it is not our intention to sell the pub for development and at no stage have we considered a change of use for the property.”

Birmingham Live link: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-inns-pub-erdington-not-27785244

lyn

View attachment 184822View attachment 184823View attachment 184824View attachment 184825View attachment 184826View attachment 184827View attachment 184828View attachment 184829
What a lovely pub.

Rose and Crown. I don't remember this Erdington pub. Lady P suggests it was on Gravelly Lanr in post #16. It's still there but now a sports bar and venue.

Screenshot_20240331_200009_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_202022_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240331_202040_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
I remember this one. It had a nice bowling green and pavilion with grounds that extended right back to Goosemore Lane. The building to the left was quite a nice function room, my friend had his wedding reception there.

The Rose & Crown is @ 294 Gravelly Lane. We used to pop in there on occasion, it was near the old tenpin bowling (Chester Road), that is sadly long gone. A couple of photographs of the inside of the pub below:

1711973749144.png 1711973816304.png

Last edited:
Back