• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

public house 41 freeman street ladywood 1955

missysavage

after much research of my family tree i am now trying to collect photographs of the houses or areas in which they lived.
i am currently looking for any pictures of the above address.
or indeed if anyone remembers george T lupton or valerie lupton {roberts} please contact me via private message

41 y-cook, rose, ladywood is also another address but im not sure what this means.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a thread about Freeman Street here on BHF:
However this is in the Digbeth area of the city and not Ladywood. No other Freeman Street was found in a search.

There was a Freeman Road in Nechells and number 41 was The Stork, one of the first pub I ever had drink. At 16 I looked nowhere near 18 so my mate used to go inside and gets the drinks and we drank them outside.

Nechells The-Stork Freeman Rd 1960.jpg

Caroline,

You are quite correct concerning the number being 43 according to Kelly's Trade Directory, but I was going by the 1940 OS map which puts at 41. I have no idea which is correct.

fowler.JPG

Caroline

There must be something wrong somewhere, because I have counted the houses in Freeman Road starting at number 1 opposite the pub and there are 43 including the pub and that is the last property in the street.

In 1955 George and Valerie Lupton are at No. 41 with Edith Roberts , No 42 is occupied by family headed by Michael Bruton, and No 43 is headed by Charles Pallett.

1939 register
43 Freeman road( public house) ,Robert Wheeler Licensee and manager of the Stork Inn,

1900 Census, 43 Freeman road, George Pearsall, Manager and Licensed Victuallar

Last edited:
41 y-cook, rose, ladywood is also another address but im not sure what this means.

missysavage,

Is this enquiry in or around the same time frame as the other one and what is in relation to? Do you have a copy of the document that it comes from and is it possible to post an image of the relevant section of that document, especially if it is handwritten.

I think it is a fault by the transcribers of the electoral roll to the internet, if you click on to
41 y-cook on Ancestry it will also take you to 41 Freeman Road.

Last edited:
I keep saying this but I need to get myself new glasses, because the map I posted shows as clear as day that the Stork was at number 43 and not 41 as I stated a couple of times. Please accept my apologies Caroline.

Every record I can find puts the Stork at 43 Freeman Road, Ladywood and every record that I found of
George and Valerie Lupton put them at No 41 Freeman road, Ladywood.
On records of Freeman Street , is between Bloomsbury Street and Goodrick Street (which I presume was where Goodrick Way is now.)

Last edited:
As Alberta says the address given on the eroll is 41 Freeman Road not Street (as in the thread title). It also includes Edith Roberts as well as Valerie and George Lupton. I assume Edith is related to Valerie.
Edith is listed at 41 on the 1939 register and the Stork is given as 43.

Last edited:
A bit more history of Freeman road,which in 1911 is classed as Nechells.
1911 Census has at No 41
Joseph Bateman Railway carriage fitter
Ellen his wife
Edith age 24 daughter ,single
Florence age 21 daughter single
Francis Joseph Henry Bateman age 3 grandson
Albert Roberts age 24 single (Albert and Edith married in 1915)

at No 42 is a Fellows family
at 43 is Frederick May, Public house manager.

If indeed it is Freeman Road and it is number 41 that is being sought then the woman in the photo at post #4 is either entering or leaving that house.

Back