• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Quiz League

I guess it was Summer Lane an Walter Whittaker - there are a few alternative spellings of the surname to throw you off scent. The Prince of Wales was a thought.

Silly question Keiron, the point of your arrow is in the middle of the road. Is it pointing at the establishment on the north side of the road, or covering it on the south side?

Yesterday's Midweek Map Muddle certainly got folks into a muddle, though most people were in the right location and sussed out that the tavern was part of Ann Street, a thoroughfare swept away for the new Council House at the beginning of the 1870s. Quite a few opted for the Bricklayers' Arms which was a good shout but not quite on the mark. As in previous images there cannot be any half-points awarded. The Bricklayers' Arms was a little further along the road - I was looking for Nos.3-4 close to the corner of Newhall Street. Here it is in the 1860s ...

78a.jpg

So, there you have it - the Vine Inn. A tough map muddle but they are meant to be challenging! The boozer had a relatively short life and appears to have closed in 1868 when the stock and contents were offered at auction. The sale included all the public house furniture, ale store fittings, stock in trade, and effects including tables, chairs, gas-fittings, blinds, shop counter, four-pull ale machine, clock, shelves, seating, glassware, measures, pewters, signs, three tons of coal, Ind Coope's Pale Ale, Findlater's Dublin Stout, quarter cask of superior Sherry, five other full casks of Wine, three dozen Champagne, five dozen Port and Sherry, and other stock and effects. In August 1869 William Henry Jones applied for a spirit licence for the property, presumably in order to operate as a wine and spirits merchant. However, it would appear that his application was unsuccessful. Thereafter the property is occupied by solicitors and the like. It had once been an eating house run by Edwin Richards.

No change to the league table ....

League Table
Guyarab 47 Points
Elmo 46 Points
Curly 45 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 17 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
allanbrum 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I do try to mix it up by including interiors, inn signs, maps, tavern checks. I realised last night that I had not yet included a photograph of a publican. So today's image is taken from a national newspaper in 1994 as he was making a splash with his famous old public-house. A big enough story to make the broadsheets!! As you can see Don Henry is inside the pub and staging a beer festival. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 18th June. Good luck!

79.jpg

This is a week of few points being awarded - it's tough this pub-spotting lark! Hardly any gardening yesterday due to the rain so I went to Webb's at Hagley where the standard of safe-distancing and etiquette is being strictly observed - well done them. Returned home with several nice plants and in the evening logged in to see how you were all getting on. Ooops, only one answer submitted by Guyarab and he came up trumps by remembering that it was the Bellefield Inn on Winson Street. It was The Guardian who ran a big feature on the pub where Don Henry had turned around the fortunes of the place and sold real ale and some Caribbean food. He seemed like a nice chap and he was still there when I took this photograph in 2002 ...

winson-street-bellefield-inn-bar.jpg

One of the most extraordinary ceilings in Birmingham. Minton tiles in the lounge. Lovely stained glass. And, until 1951, a brewery operated at the back by Samuel White & Sons. Davenport's operated the pub in later years.

I was wrong stating that it was the first publican to be featured in the quiz .... allanbrum quite rightly pointed out that another gaffer was featured in Post #60.

So, a two point lead at the top now ....

League Table
Guyarab 48 Points
Elmo 46 Points
Curly 45 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 17 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
allanbrum 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I wonder if this is a hard photograph to identify? Not an easy Friday task for sure - and I have a real Saturday Stinker on the way. Those points are elusive this week!! I might make it easier on Sunday. Anyway, name the pub pictured here in 1969?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 19th June. Good luck!

80.jpg

Yesterday's photograph showed the Traveller's Rest, a Davenport's house on the corner of Whitehead Road and Barton's Bank in Aston. Not that I have to tell Curly, knobbydave, allanbrum and Elmo as they all identified the pub - well done to you all. Guyarab's two-point lead lasted only a day and it is tight at the top. knobbydave is closing in on Astoness and now only one point behind ...

League Table
Guyarab 48 Points
Elmo 47 Points
Curly 46 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 18 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
allanbrum 7 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Cor, look what I found when having a rummage - a magic lantern slide from 1893. I wouldn't fancy that angle and height of ladder without somebody standing on the bottom rung! This surely has to be a classic Saturday Stinker!!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 20th June. Good luck!

81.jpg

I did not really expect a correct answer for yesterday's image - but it is such a rarity that I could not resist including it within the Saturday Stinker section. Moreover, it gives BHF members a chance to see a public-house probably unseen - until now! The image shows the Sea Horse Tavern on Buck Street. The window-cleaner was named Jimmy Pane - I'm just kidding Elmo .. but I liked your comment.

League Table
Guyarab 48 Points
Elmo 47 Points
Curly 46 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 18 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
allanbrum 7 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Well, after yesterday's ancient image we are getting more modern with today's photograph - by two years! This magic lantern slide was produced in 1895 - lovely image with cabs and dray outside a Birmingham public-house. But which one?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 21st June. Good luck!

82.jpg

Guyarab opens up a two-point lead again as he was the only person to submit a correct answer for yesterday's photograph. I must admit I was a little surprised that some others did not recognise the old Mermaid Hotel at Sparkbrook, a famous landmark public-house of the area.

League Table
Guyarab 49 Points
Elmo 47 Points
Curly 46 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 18 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
allanbrum 7 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This inn sign image is almost half-a-century old as it dates from 1971. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 22nd June. Good luck!

83.jpg

Well done to the BHF members who correctly identified the inn sign of The Lamplighter on the corner of Summer Lane and Attenborough Close. Love the dog! knobbydave is now tied with Astoness on 19 points ....

League Table
Guyarab 50 Points
Elmo 48 Points
Curly 47 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
allanbrum 8 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A close-up on some pub architecture today. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 23rd June. Good luck!

84.jpg

Ha ha, I guessed, mind we did use to meet there before football when I played for Newman Tonks. Can honestly say never even noticed a sign!

oops i was going to say the lamplighter but i could not remember it having that swinging arm sign...my fault i should have just guessed

Lyn I got it, yet I only went in the place about four times . I used the Lord Clifden for six months solid early evenings and that quiz completely passed me by .

I don't actually know the pub at all - just had a guess at what the image might be of :grinning:
Pretty much the only reason I went to pubs was to see a live band!

well sparks i know it....keiron said the sign dates from 71..i was using the pub a lot from 71 until 73 moved away ..moved back to newtown in 85 and must have passed the pub hundreds of times to shop at the newtown shops...i shall now go and stand in a corner with a dunces hat on:D:D

lyn

The key to yesterday's photograph was the coat-of-arms and motto which many linked to the Aston Hotel at Witton, a very nice pub on the outside and would be great if it stocked some nice beer. allanbrum and Radiorails move up a place with their correct answers. Lyn risks losing her forum handle by missing out on another Aston boozer ;)

League Table
Guyarab 51 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Curly 48 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for the Midweek Map Muddle which some love and some hate. A bit like that by-product of beer ... Marmite. They are struggling to fill the shelves as brewing sharply dropped. I note also that, although hop growers are enjoying what looks like a bumper crop, they predict they will not be able to sell it all. Covid-19 is making it really tough for the economy. Anyway, today's map dates from 1875 and I think it is a tough task today - but, once again, you have to name the boozer that stood where the arrow points?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 24th June. Good luck!

85.jpg

Back