• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

pub mystery

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks just going through one of my pubs books and it shows a pic of the the dolphin pub hospital st dated 1964 landlord at the time was a sylvester patrick byrne...i could be wrong but the only dolphin pubs i know to round there was the one on the corner of unett st and the one on the corner of hospital st/frankfort st...this pic is definately of the dophin but its neither of the two i know of...any help to identify would be good...i can scan and post a pic of it if needed..

lyn

Lyn
The dolphin was at 306 Hospital st on the corner of Frankfort St as shown on map in red.

map_c_1889_hospital_st_showing_no_306___dolphin_inn.jpg

thanks mike yes i know that dolphin and the one that was on the corner of unett st...ive got pics of both but this is the one i think has a wrong caption because i cant see there being 2 dolphin pubs in hospital st...

VILLASTANDPUBS012.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn

The photo is one of the Dolphin on Irving Street in what I knew as Lee Bank before it was demolished. As I have said before I wouldn't pay some of these book compilers in washers.

Lyn

The photo is one of the Dolphin on Irving Street in what I knew as Lee Bank before it was demolished. As I have said before I wouldn't pay some of these book compilers in washers.

thanks phil....i thought the pic did not even have a look of hospital street about it...mind you its a good job i know me dolphins and the area phil or else i could quite easily have believed the caption...

cheers

lyn

Thanks phil , i have a lot off books on old birmingham and the one that astoness has on birmingham pubs.

Is this the one you mean Maggie?

Attachments

• Newtown Dolphin Frankfort Street 1964.jpg
    Newtown Dolphin Frankfort Street 1964.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 83
Thanks to Astoness, I have found the pub I helped to destroy.
While Six Ways was being redeveloped, a lot of traffic from town used Summer Lane and on a journey home to Witton Road I got snarled up in traffic. I decided to try an alternative and turned into Frankfort St. That was the last thing I remembered until I woke in hospital. Apparently the van (was my Dad's) I was driving collided with a workman's coach at the junction with Hospital St. I am sure the Evening Mail carried the story and a picture. I think the coached was buried into the pub having gone through the doors on the corner. I am going to try and get a copy of the picture and now I know the name of the pub, I just need to get an approximate date.

hello allen happy to help...if you go to the central library with an approx year when the accident happened you should be able to go through the old evening mails..if you do manage to locate the article would love to see it..

lyn

Looking at the picture of The Dolphin it easy to understand how the coach buried it' self in the pub. I believe it went straight through the doors and as it was only windows either side, there was nothing to stop it. I think that the pub was empty as it had recently closed due to redevelopment, or it could have been much worse.

allen the date of that photo was 64 so assuming that is correct most likely just before your accident..very lucky indeed

lyn

Hi Lyn I have the same picture as yours in another book,mine says it was in Irving street and was taken in 1954.moss

Hi Lyn I have the same picture as yours in another book,mine says it was in Irving street and was taken in 1954.moss

thanks moss thats where phil said it was on post 4..
at least you had the correct caption in your book lol..dont forget our easter meet up next month..be great to see you

lyn

Back