• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Known as The "Tatters" in Aston

zak14

master brummie
I used to go into a pub in Aston which we called The Tatters I think because it was close to a scrap yard. It was on the Grosvener Road opposite the Brittania and by Aston Train Station I think.

Sorry to be vague but it was in the mid 70's and there is no sign of any scrap yard or pub in the place it used to be these days.

I remember that it was a small pub and always had an open fire in the winter.

Does anyone remember it and what it was actually called ?, better still does anyone have any pictures ?

Cant be sure but my husband thinks it was the Grovener or Grovener Arms.

Last edited:
A bloke called Larry Hynes ran the Brittania and a nearby scrap yard in the mid to late 70's. Next time I see him in the Trident, Shard End, I'll ask him.

Ian

The only scrapyard I remember was at the bottom of Holborn Hill/Thimblemill Lane junction just as it touches Lichfield road under the railway bridge at Aston station.

hi
john thats correct you have beaten me to it, i had intended to reply hours ago
but i had some bussiness cropped up so i had to stop
thats the pub just under the bridge to your left as you came down holborn hill
just short of lichfeild rd and it would have been facing the pub on the corner of the lichfeild rd
and it was along the back side of the brit and charlie hines brother was the bloke running the show
i have known charlie for donkey years he his a freind of the kirby family whom i also know for years
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Hi Thanks for the responses, am I right was it known as "The Tatters" ? I assume it was called that because it was by a scrap yard which we always called "Tat Yards" and the "Tat Man" when I was a kid.

Welder, could you ask your friend at the Trident if he recalls it being known as that please?. By the way, I used to know The Trident very well back in the late 80's I used to go out with a girl who's parents lived almost opposite, last house on the corner of a small grass area over the road from the pub, sorry can't remember the number of the house after all these years.

John

Back