• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Provision dealer

dottieau

master brummie
On the 1861 census for Catherine Bowen living at 41 Duddeston Row her occupation was Provision dealer.
What would this title mean in those days? Wholesale shop or maybe just selling from her home. Thank you Dorothy

hi dottia
that would have meant selling from her home combined shop from a front room i would say in that period
there was a house up there for years right up until the mid sixtys with an old advertising board of some kind of product
still with its orinional enamuel sign above the front room window as i recall from my boy hood days and youth
and it was an orinional built house with its little house front window my grand parents at aston cross had a two tear ware house for provisons
that was from the early 1900s right through until the fifties they also had one on tyburn rd at the same time when i was a little whipper snapper i used to deliver with them around brum in a little three wheeler van with there name on it and to there shops they owned
it was on the land where the west midlands central is built now at aston cross bu the one you are on about was a house
best wishes Astonian

Thank you Astonian for your interesting answer. Its nice to picture life from times gone by you always have such knowledge. Thank you

Back