• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Proposed Die cast Models of Birmingham Standards

Bill Parker

master brummie
Fellow OBEs (Old Bus Enthusiasts) I recently came across theis information and as a collector of model buses, particularly local ones I took particular interests in this project.

I dont like to judge models on mock ups but I just wondered what you thought about it. The exposed radiator Crossley looks quite nice but the "new look" ie Tin front looks a bit strange. I wonder if this mock up has been made in two halves and thus allowing the New look bottom have the exposed rad top deck sitting on it?

This would explain the incorrect destination box on the Tin Front and perhaps also explain why to me it looks a bit odd. As mentioned earlier mock ups can be quite inaccurate to the eventual production items much better.

I wish the promotors well but at this price I would like to see one in the flesh , or metal, before parting with my money, anyway judge for your selves.

Click on "our range of model buses" to see the four variations

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks a bit strange to me, rather like the 1949 mock-up that Guy Motors did using stock upper deck panels and wooden lower deck ones. The use of HOV 786's registration is because that was the bus photographed to show the upper deck 'look' for the builders of the mock-up.

View attachment 69954

It looks a bit strange to me, rather like the 1949 mock-up that Guy Motors did using stock upper deck panels and wooden lower deck ones. The use of HOV 786's registration is because that was the bus photographed to show the upper deck 'look' for the builders of the mock-up.

View attachment 69954

Thats an interesting photo Lloyd, was this at Metro cams works or on of BCT,s garages?

At the Guy Motors works in Wolverhampton, Bill. The design was a joint BCT / Guy one, although Daimler and Crossley were required to supply chassis with the same design front on.
Here's a slightly earlier mock-up, this time on a real Guy Arab chassis (not supplied to Birmingham though - just used to mount the trial design on).
View attachment 69967

Last edited:
Thanks Lloyd, interesting to see how that front eventually developed into its elegant shape. I ofen wonder if BCT wanted this to show Midland Rec how it should be done!!

The models are to scale 1:76 and similar in size to the models by EFE and other manufacturers. Ideal for 00 Gauge! In inches, this means about four - or 10.4 cms. I attach photos...

Attachments

• Forward NGS01 PRINT thumb.JPG
    Forward NGS01 PRINT thumb.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Forward NGS02 PRINT thumb.JPG
    Forward NGS02 PRINT thumb.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Forward NGS03 PRINT thumb.JPG
    Forward NGS03 PRINT thumb.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Forward EC04 PRINT thumb.JPG
    Forward EC04 PRINT thumb.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Forward EC05 PRINT thumb #2.JPG
    Forward EC05 PRINT thumb #2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 25
The models are to scale 1:76 and similar in size to the models by EFE and other manufacturers. Ideal for 00 Gauge! In inches, this means about four - or 10.4 cms. I attach photos...

They really are good models Derek, I thought I had put a link to my Flickr account on here with a photo of my two models, so two things have happened I did not put the link up or the link has been removed by others.

I have heard that more models are planned, hopefully some of the Daimlers next time as they are notable by their absence from the first releases. Very impressive.

Simon

I have heard that more models are planned, hopefully some of the Daimlers next time as they are notable by their absence from the first releases. Very impressive.

Simon

I cant see any problem with a "tin front " Daimler or a Crossley for that matter and maybe even exposed radiator Daimlers,although the so called "standards" were anything but standard as I'm sure you well know . The best thing to do Simon is to visit their website.

I bought the full set in advance of production and am very pleased. I will snap up anything Derek develops in future. These are the only Birmingham fronted models available on the market where the radiator area is properly moulded.
Apart from which, when Derek and I met we discovered we had gone to the same school and shared a heritage which included the number 27 bus.

Back