• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Professor Solly Zuckerman

tali

master brummie
I have enough info on Professor Solly Zuckerman of Birmingham University- but was wondering does anyone know if his children are active in the Midlands and when his wife died?

hi tali
charlie zuckerman and his famiy all live in sir harrys rd edgebaston
and he his the general secetary of the medical practitoners of all the
doctors and G,PS medical board i have known charle and his wife and kids for
many . many years i used to go to there house quite often
best wishes , best wishes astonian ;;;

As a matter of interest Tali, why are you interested in him. I ask that as I used to work at the Lord Zuckerman Research Centre in Reading, which he sometimes descended on with visitors.
Mike

Thanks astonian and mikejee :)
The intrest arose when i saw a property article a decade or so back " House of eminent Birmingham scientist for sale" in Ampton Rd, Edgbaston
Plus he had a distinctive name!
mikejee since you had some form of direct contact -what was he like?

Tali
He acted as a scientific consultant to Cadbury Schweppes (as it then was) after retiring from the post of chief Scientific advisor to the government, thus giving rise to the name of their research centre, the design and scope of which was originally controlled by a committee of which he was chairman. I heard him talk at meetings and met him very briefly a few times. He was a zoologist and undoubtably, in his younger years anyway, very bright. When I saw him in the 70s and 80s he would have been in his late sixties or older and struck me as someone who fitted in a bit with my image of a 1950s or 1960s politician (I don't consider that necessarily as a compliment) who had his own ideas which he pushed hard whatever. The badger community might agree with me as it was a committee very much controlled by him that decided, with only limited evidence,that only way to control bovine TB was to gas as many badgers as possible. It was around that time that he was associated with the centre. Although (being 66 myself) I am all for older people being allowed to carry on working if they want to, it is not necessarily a good thing to automatically give them overall control when their mental powers may not be as astute as they were.
mike

Back