• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Private Albert S. J. Brooks 51631 17th Batallion Scottish R - info required.

mrose1701

master brummie
I am trying to trace the history of the above - my wife's grandfather. I have kindly received the info below from Mike on the Birmingham History forum but know no more - is the 17th battalion part of Scottish Rifles or the Royal Scots? When did he join, what action, if any, did they see? Are there any sources of information regarding Albert Brooks? We know he survived the war and died in 1949 in Warren Road, Birmingham.

"Albert Samuel John Brooks is listed in the electoral absent registers of 1918 and 1919 . In 1918 he is given as 51631, Pte, 17th Batt, Scottish R, but in 1919 no army details are given. In both cases and also in the normal register of 1920 he is listed as at 135 Warren Road."

His medal card shows the also served with Royal Warwickshire Regt. no. 356 and received the Victory and British War Medals, cannot find any service or pension records for him.

Colin

His medal card shows the also served with Royal Warwickshire Regt. no. 356 and received the Victory and British War Medals, cannot find any service or pension records for him.

Colin, Many thanks for that - I think I came across the same medal card late last night. On the bottom of this card is the quote "T.E.F.F. - A.O. 162 of 1917"

I do not understand what this means and cannot understand the connection with the Scottish Rifles. If he was a Brummy born and bred then I can understand serving for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment but why the Scottish Rifles?

Back