• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Princip Street...Newtown

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i was just having a little amble the other day and went down princip st....for any members who may be researching their family history these are the only two remaining houses in the street...number 62 and i presume either 60 or 64...depending on which way the numbers ran.... as i couldnt see a number on the other door what i found amazing is they are sandwiched between factories and still lived in.....not sure but i think princip st is in the gunquarter or at very least just on the edge of it.....

lyn.

Attachments

• PRINCIP ST 031.JPG
    PRINCIP ST 031.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Lyn.
It is amazing that some of these old houses have survived.
Next time you are having a amble,try Aston Brook St.you will find some there,also Victoria Rd.near the corner of Bevington Rd. where there are some splendid old villas.

ok ray ..will ad them to my ever growing list of streets etc to amble down...lol...yes i couldnt get me hat on with the princip st houses...they are just plotted in between factories....they are still there if we look hard enough.....

lyn

Hi All,

Does anyone know why Princip Street is so named? In July 1914 Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and his wife were assassinated in Sarajevo. This precipitated the 1st World War. The assassin was a young student named Princip. The street is obviously not named after him but, is there any connection whatsoever?

Old Boy

I have a couple of memories of Princip St I worked for a company that were based in Bath St in the early 60s there was a Hostel run by the Nuns from St Chads this was on the corner of Lower Loveday St and Princip St (opposite the Peoples Hall) i can remember the homeless men queuing up for free meals. The other memory i have is of a factory half way down towards Newtown Row this factory still stands out in my mind because it was the only place i ever went to that still had all the machines driven by belts all driven by a single shaft down the middle of the factory with a single electric motor located in a purpose built housing outside, pity i can,t think of the name of the factory. Dek

2 pics of princip street taken in the early 60s..no longer there

lyn

Attachments

• princip st 1960.jpg
    princip st 1960.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 80
  • princip st.jpg
    princip st.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
brittania cafe on the left formally the brittania pub

Attachments

• princip street.jpg
    princip street.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 94
Hi Lyn. The building that's the cafe and the next building are still there. The Soho Pool Warehouses C & C has gone, although curiously one of the entrances has survived to the C&C. The cafe building is recognisable above the ground floor, but the ground floor level is significantly changed. As you say in your first post, interesting that there were quite a few domestic premises squashed in amongst the large industrial buildings. Many of the houses seem to have gone, but a few of the commercial premises are still there, albeit ripe for conversion to flats.That always seems a tad ironic to me that they knock down houses, then years later need more houses so end up converting old factories. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This view is interesting too. Houses and a pub that are still there. Pub looks out of action though. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 66
hi viv...thanks for that i am just going back to old threads of mine to try and repost lost images..having a problem reposting the one on post 1 but will sort it out... if that was a pub do you know which one it was...i dont know why but it kind of looks like it was one but im not so sure think its the lack of windows on the bottom right...dont worry if you dont know i can check it out on kellys later on

thanks viv

Last edited:
just found these on pc upstairs

Attachments

• Princip_St_Skipp_The_Making_of_Victorian_Birmingham_1.jpg
    Princip_St_Skipp_The_Making_of_Victorian_Birmingham_1.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Princip_St_John_Scott_Pigots_1841.jpg
    Princip_St_John_Scott_Pigots_1841.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Lyn. In first photo, although the houses are boarded up, you can just make out a figure in the bottom window of the building far right.

The drawing of the Scott's Princip Street works shows the canal at the rear. Impossible to see the canal today. On the other side is a very large building which looks like it's also on (another) canal. Can't place the canal or the large building in relation to modern maps. But it's interesting it's shown in the drawing. Viv.

morning viv...i did not notice that figure in pic 1...large building in drawing could be hard to pinpoint but as you say very interesting...

Could the building in the drawing be the Old General Hospital on Summer Lane, it would depend on the angle the drawing was done from and then you have to take into account artistic license.

Attachments

• princip st.JPG
    princip st.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 33
more than a chance phil i think it is....

Attachments

• summer lane general hospital.bmp
    738.2 KB · Views: 32
Viv
Don't think it can be a canal. The 1941 Pigot';s directory does not list by street, and no number is given. the 1845 directory does not list Scott in Princip st,. but does list a Princip St works, belonging to button manufacturer Thomas Haslack at 26-30 Princip St whom in the 1841 directory is in Summer Lane. On the c1889 map it is still a button factory and stilll called Princip St Works.I wondered, assuming that is the same factory, whether the other building is the back of the old General Hospital

map_c_1889_showing_Princip_wporks_princip_st.jpg

mike have you seen posts 20 and 21...both me and phil think its the old general summer lane

Last edited:
Think you're right Lyn and Phil. But the angle of the building in relation to the hospital is wrong. So agree there's some artistic licence. Mike, there's a 'Basin' running along the back of the hospital so it must be that I can see as well as the canal nearer the artist running parallel with Princip Street. Viv

Think you're right Lyn and Phil. But the angle of the building in relation to the hospital is wrong. So agree there's some artistic licence. Mike, there's a 'Basin' running along the back of the hospital so it must be that I can see as well as the canal nearer the artist running parallel with Princip Street. Viv

definately the canal you see viv....it runs between princip st and cliveland st..

I lived in princip street on two seperate occassions, one when I was about 4 years old then we left and came back when i was 11. My parents ran the transport cafe my Dad was known as Big Jim and my mum Mal (marian) ran the kitchen along with a few staff members. One of the ladies who worked for us was called Margaret and had two daughters.
Then there was Christine, Ann and sometimes Maria would do a few shifts. The three of them were sisters if I remember rightly.
There was a massive cellar under the cafe from the pub days and in the garden where the remains of a couple of rooms that used to be a house. In the garden there were also beams left from where the horses were stabled. I was there the night soho pool warehouse burnt down we had to be evacuated. That was a sad sad night as we loved the warehouse and were friendly with the owners.
This was the last time the premises were used as a cafe and it was very sad to see it turned into offices.
The two houses opposite that were lived in one was peggy a lovely lady whose grandchildren would visit on sunday and we would play in the massive car park next door.
The other house was an elderly mother and her adult son can't remember the names but do remember the lady passed on was a sad day indeed.
Does anyone remember the cafe it was called Transport cafe :)
I will dig out some photos tomorow and post them :)

Hi ive just browsed for any pictures of old Princip Street and came across a picture taken in early 1960. I was suprised to see a photo of a young boy standing by the entrance to the back houses.I was born in one of the back houses of Princip street in september 1955 i believe it was 13 back of 57 Princip street.the boy in the picture is probably myself.

Back