• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

price Thomas john

natty

knowlegable brummie
Hi I'm looking to find the right death certificate for Thomas John Price born 1850 died 1880 in Birmingham. He was married to a Harriet Smith in 1871. His motherwas Elizabeth Price and Father Joseph Price. i'm interested in getting the death certificate as he died so young I wanted to see what of!

Also I can't trace his wife's family at all. She was Harriet Smith born 1838 and I think died 1891 again from Birmingham. She had a daughter before she married Thomas called Clara born 1861 and a son Alfred born 1868 so I dont know if Smith was her maiden name or not. Anyone can shed any light I would be v v grateful!

Thanks

Re: Thomas john price

Hi Natty. Are you sure about the death date for Thomas John Price?

I ask because a look at Free BMD shows a Thomas Price death registered in Aston in 1877. He is shown as 27 years of age, so that would be right for a birth in 1850. Can't find any reference for him in 1880 or 1881.

Barrie.

hi barrie

I could only find one for 1877 but i have the national probate calendar which states he died 24 Jan 1880 and died at 86 Great Hampton Street Birmingham (his home address was Paxton Villa Stechford). Could this have been a hospital?

Thanks
Nat

He seems to have died at work or possibly at his mothers. 86 Gt Hampton St is listed as Joseph Price & son, dealers in precious stones an also the home of Mrs Price (I assume his mother)

Just a thought. If he had commited suicide, and the death was registered by the coroner, would he appear on a different register?

Barrie.

Thanks both. Barrie I have no idea about the different register - don't know if anyone else can shed any light!

Mikejee - that's brilliant its opened up another avenue for me re his parents - can I ask where you got this information from please?

Thanks Nat

1881 Census - 86 Gt Hampton Street
Mary Price B1790 Teale, Lincolnshire aged 91 - Annuitant - widow
Mary A Underwood B1820 Bham - aged 1820 - Annuitant - daughter - widow
Charles Price B1828 Bham - aged 53 - Commerical Agent - son - single
Mary O'Neill - B1863 Birkenhead, Cheshire - aged 18 - domestic servant - single

Suzanne

1881 census - Paxton Villa, Victoria Road, Yardley (Worcs) housed the Kempson Family.

Suzanne

Natty
The info came from the 1880 Kellys directory
Mike

Suzanne - thanks obviously his widow must have moved from there after his death,.

Thanks Mike

Natty,
I think you will find that the Thomas Price who died in 1880 in Great Hampton Street was older than your Thomas he was born in 1824/25 and was the brother
of the Charles Price born 1828 parents Joseph and Mary.He appears on earlier census with charles and they are Jewellers.
There is no seperate register for people who commit suicide and the 1877 one appears to be the only match with your Thomas.

Thanks ALberta. I am confused though as in the probate calendar he leaves to his wife Harriet who is teh right wife! And they were the parents of Edwin David Price so I'm not too sure what's going on here.

As you say very confusing.
On the 1881 census in Tower Street her status is given as Married, written in full on the original copy
on the 1891 in Unett Street she says Widow.

1881 Towerstreet
Harriet age 43 Married
Clara 20
Alfred 12
Thomas 10
Edwin 8
William 5
Mary Aston age 56 widow.Visitor

in 1891 Unett street
are Harriet age 53 Widow.
Alfred
Thomas