• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green

pretoria_rd.jpg
Here is a postcard

Thanks Mikejee - any idea what year. I knew someone on the forum would have one - this is for my cousin in Canada who lived there until 1970s

It still exists, of course, and can be seen on Google Street View. :)

My great uncle, Sam LONGMORE, lived at number 131 from 1911 until his death during WW2 and his daughter then moved to number 167 until her death in 1956.

Maurice :cool:

My mother was born at number 10 in September 1908. I found these details when I obtained her birth certificate in 2006. I would love to know if the family lived there or if it was just a convenient place to give birth. Why are all the people who know the answers dead?

That's strange - I just did an address search on Pretoria Road on the 1911 Census and the house numbers only appear to run from 52 to 253. :shocked:

Perhaps Mikejee make be able to throw a little light on what happened to those earlier numbers? :)

In 1905 the OS map shows houses on about 7/8ths of the western side, and nothing on the eastern side. by 1917 it has been fully built. Kellys for 1912 gives nos 2,4, 124, ..... , but then they did not by any means include all houses. I don't think I can help
mike

Frederick Storer was listed on the electoral roll at no 10 in 1912. He also had a shop at 3 Austin St

Thanks for looking, Mike. 1912 Kellys is most probably based on data collected in 1911 (possibly late 1911) and that might account for why the properties don't exist on the Census, yet Geofred's mother was born at number 10 in 1908 ! :rolleyes:

I must have a wade through the images - perhaps it's an indexing error.

EDIT: Found one more house - number 50 is indexed as Greetoria Road !

Very many thanks for your efforts in tracking down number 10. I wonder if the house was rented by my grandparents in 1908 or if they were sharing; any ideas which way to go about finding out?

Hi geofred,

I've had a busy day today, so haven't yet had a chance to see if I can find the 1911 Census for this property, but I'll have another search tonight. However, that won't tell who is the owner of the property, just who the occupants were.

Your only chance of finding that information is to see if the Rate Books for that road have survived in Birmingham Archives. From my recollections, the Rate Books weren't compiled every year, but one of the years for which many exist was 1913, but it might be a bit of a tedious search and I won't be over there again until September/October! I'll get back to you in due course.

Referring to Mike's posting above, in 1911 Frederick C. STORER, a packing case maker (worker - at home), was living at 3 Austin Street NOT Pretoria Road, though he may well have moved there the following year. But since he has no children born in 1908, just two sons born in 1903 and 1905, I presume that geofred is not looking for the name STORER.

Geofred: Can you tell me the surname you are looking for in 1908 please? (Send me a private message if you don't wish to divulge it on the open forum).

Hi Maurice, thank you for looking this up for me. I am not very good with these modern gadgets, so don't have a clue how to send a message or 'post' so will have to stay on this open forum. My mother's maiden name was Bates - father S.J.H mother V.P. Mother was the third child in the family, the others were born in 1903 and 1905. Many thanks - geofred

Hi geofred:

Well they were most certainly living at 10 Pretoria Road in 1911 and there is obviously an indexing omision which I shall report. Here's the details:-

BATES, Sidney Horace James - Head - Married - 29 - Clerk (Fruit salesman) - Born Birmingham
BATES, Violet Pauline - Wife - Married 8 years - 27 - no occupation - Born Birmingham
BATES, Doris Emily - Dau - 8 - no occupation - Born Birmingham
BATES, Winifred Maud - Dau - 5 - no occupation - Born Birmingham
BATES, Phyllis Gertrude - Dau - 2 - no occupation - Born Birmingham

Hi again geofred,

In 1901, Sidney H.J.'s family were living at 44 Havelock Road, Aston, father was Sidney J. BATES, an ironfounders secretary, born in Great Bourton, Oxfordshire, mother was Annie S. BATES born in Birmingham. Sidney H.J. had three sisters and three brothers.

Hi Maurice, yes this my mother's family. They are an interesting lot, as gt grandfather, Sidney J. and his wife Annie S. drove around in their pony and trap and had to be addressed as Grandmama and Grandpapa yet, after he died in 1942 no will was found. (His birth is a bit suspect too!) Grandfather Sidney H.J. died as a result of a hit and run accident in 1959 - contributing factor could have been that it happened outside the Rock Public House!! Violet Pauline's father was a travelling showman who died as a result of standing in the way of his own swingboat whilst it was in action!
Thank you very much for the research you have done on my behalf, I do appreciate your kindness. geofred

You're welcome, geofred, and at least that's two more transcription errors on the census that will get sorted - BATES was transcribed as BETES in 1901. :)

I realise that you posted this request some time ago but have just come across this photograph taken in Pretoria Road. Looking at the decorations and the fact that my Uncle is there, aged about 10 years, I think it may have been the 1936 Coronation of King George VI. My family (Daniels) lived there before moving to Ralph Road. Sue.

Attachments

• Pretoria Road B'ham.jpg
    Pretoria Road B'ham.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 49
I was born in 116 Pretoria Rd 1942, Some of the houses (about 4) on the other side of the road were bombed in 1941, and as a young child me and my sister and other children used to play in the bombed buildings. The houses were rebuilt 1949-50 and now standout like a sore thumb from the original Edwardian terraced houses, they are towards the Bordesley Rd end.

My husband was born(1944) at 153 Pretoria Road about four doors up from where the houses were bombed. He had several friends on your side of the road...We also had friends at 145, one of the rebuilt houses, and you're right, the Edwardian houses were far more attractive.

When I was a youngster late 50's , I was in St John's Ambulance Brigade , our CO lived on Pretoria Rd . We were invited for tea on some Sunday's where his Mother used to lay on some great afternnon teas

Sunday afternoon tea, for many homes, was grand occasion which was usually a total contrast to Sunday Lunch(eon).
A cold collation of meat(s) or cheeses with green salad, tomatoes; cucumber and beetroot - frequently steeped in vinegar. Fruit followed usually, with cream or tinned milk and lastly the best of all, cakes.
Sunday was a very special day for many, nowadays all days seem to be considered the same particularly with shops open most of the day.

Sunday afternoon tea, for many homes, was grand occasion which was usually a total contrast to Sunday Lunch(eon).
A cold collation of meat(s) or cheeses with green salad, tomatoes; cucumber and beetroot - frequently steeped in vinegar. Fruit followed usually, with cream or tinned milk and lastly the best of all, cakes.
Sunday was a very special day for many, nowadays all days seem to be considered the same particularly with shops open most of the day.

I agree with everything you say Rr

My first true love lived in Pretoria rd. ,just past the off licence about halfway down the road, we swore our undying love,
after about 5 weeks she dumped me for a guy from the rosary school.
Hey oh, that's what happens when you are a romantic 11 year old. :sob:

My first true love lived in Pretoria rd. ,just past the off licence about halfway down the road, we swore our undying love,
after about 5 weeks she dumped me for a guy from the rosary school.
Hey oh, that's what happens when you are a romantic 11 year old. :sob:

ahh bless:heart_eyes:

lyn

Back