• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

poppy day....

hi dave
thanks for the great video my dad was badly wounded at Salerno left for dead by the British, picked up and helped by the American 5th Army and spent 11 mth's in an American military hospital in Naples. Bdr Harry Kitchener Stacey RA, I know he lost many mates but never really talked about it, only how kind the yanks were to him. I have never seen the cematery before thank you again.
regards
paul

Just to let you know that our airmen who died in WW2 and are buried in Holland are not forgotten by the Dutch people. The attached photo was taken yesterday and sent to me by a Dutch friend. The ceremony is at a cemetery near Appeldoorn and the wreath is being laid at the graves of two lads who died when their aircraft was shot down on 22 June 1944 and crashed near the village of Oone. They were Flt Sergeants Lane and Shorter.
My brother was the bomb aimer and was captured and spent the rest of the war as a POW.

Old Boy

old boy
three countrys in europe you can always be sure the sacrifice of our lads is never forgotten and the english are always welcome, holland belgium denmark
paul

A most sad memory for all those 'boys' on the Salerno Video - but how clean and tidy and cared for is their last 'lying in place'.

Nearer to home - In Weymouth on the 8th [Sunday] there was a service on the promenade, with all the Armed Services, The Lady Mayoress, the Girl Guides, the Scouts and many, many more people all paying their respects to the men and woman that have died during all conflicts. It was very moving. Miriam.

In Belgium they certainly never forget those that fell in the Great War. The 11th November has always been a national holiday of remembrance and the Belgian monarch pays his respects to war veterans also laying flowers on the Brussels monument for the Unknown Soldier. At the moment there are immense plans going on here to commemorate the centenary of the Great War in 2014.

Did you know that the Flemish people still get maimed or killed by WWI bombs and ammunition? Every time a farmer ploughs his fields he risks getting blown to bits! Almost every day farmers pile bombs up at the side of their fields and hope that the bomb disposal squad will find time to collect them. Today more than 90 years later the Belgian army bomb disposal squad are still working full-time and flat-out collecting, dismantling and disposing of WWI bombs!
:stressed:

Yes, Al (Post #124). I’ve travelled extensively throughout Italy during the last 38 years and have never seen such lust grass so meticulously maintained.
Did you notice how few dead roses are to be seen on the plants between the graves? I can assure you that each photograph was shot at complete random and the whole cemetery is kept immaculate.
The evening before, we had had torrential rain. Usually the dedication on the foot of each headstone is easily read. Due to the huge raindrops, sandy soil had been flicked up onto the inscriptions making some of them somewhat difficult to decipher. I bet the earth has already been wiped off.
The strange thing is that I pass the cemetery on average 6 or 7 times every year. I have never seen a gardener there. In fact, I have never seen anybody there.

Just to let you know - we made £2, 790. with all the Poppies we made. This money is to be divided between two Charities. We are now making poppies for next year as we have orders coming in almost daily.

Thank you if any bought one off us. Miriam.

Back