• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pool Egg Importers

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
For some reason I never imagined we'd need to import eggs. Maybe because when I was young we'd have the little lion on the egg telling us it was a British egg. But this postcard shows Pool egg importers of Carrs Lane with a truck load of eggs. The back of the truck tells us they deal in Poolova and Kleenvova brands of eggs. Afraid I can't read the date stamp, but maybe it was around WW2 ? Viv.

image.jpeg

The vehicle registration is pre-WW1 and I believe they would have managed to afford a newer vehicle sometime after WW1 as there were very many war surplus vehicles available. I must say it is the first occasion I have herd of eggs being branded. I guess many of us a curious where the eggs were imported from and how they were transported to eventually be in Carrs Lane.

Thanks all. I'm amazed at the volume imported. And I expect the Pool business especially imported the Russian ones given the play on names of "Poolova" and "Kleenova". Viv.

I expect the first world war reduced the imports from many of the countries listed particularly Germany and mid and eastern Europe countries. France probably needed their eggs for the armies then on their soil.
The October* Russian revolution must have made a great impact as well.
*It was October in Russia (Julian calendar), November in the countries that used the Gregorian calendar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(New_Style)_Act_1750
It has often been a thought of mine that historians seem rarely to make reference to these calendars and as the UK (and our influences) were eleven days out of step with much of Europe then which are the true dates they quote as accurate. Or is that just another distortion of history that most countries seem to achieve in their history books.

Back