• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police Stations

sylyal

proper brummie kid
Could you look up for me please the Police station in Ladywood, or the nearest one to Cambridge Street. My Great Grandfather was Walter Long and was the Police Sergeant there in 1911.
However in 1901 the family lived at 9 Chisheley Street, in the parish of St james, Aston and I am unsure where this is or when they moved to Cambridge Street
Many Thanks
Sylvia :peace:

Chicheley st was off Vauxhall road, the opposite side of town to Cambridge St.
I would think that Ladywood police station, in Ladywood road would be the nearest police station to Cambridge st. . It was close to the junction with Broad st. On the attached map the Crescent is shown in red , with Cambridge st just below, while the Ladywood Police station is in blue in the bottom left corner
Mike

map_c_1914A__showing_crescent_and_ladywood_pol_station.jpg

Sylyal,
When I pounded the beat in Hockley in the late fifties - Cambridge Street was policed by officers from Kenyon Street Police Station. That was then and I accept that police areas could change over the interim time span. Will.

Hi Will
My husbands uncle pounded the beat around the Erdington area at least that's were they lived around the same time as you, and his cousin's also joined the Birmingham Police Force. One of his cousin's died last year and his uncle many years ago now, its a small world we live in

Hi sylyal.
My dad was in Birmingham Police in those years,he was the beat bobby for the Erdington high street area at one time.
He joined in 1947,worked at Victoria Road,Wilton road,Duke Street,Queens road.
He became a police motorcyclist ,worked on the cars and then when he retired in 1977 he became the vehicle controller at Park Lane.
We lived in Erdington police houses.Where did your relative live?

Hi sylyal.
My dad was in Birmingham Police in those years,he was the beat bobby for the Erdington high street area at one time.
He became a police motorcyclist ,worked on the cars and then when he retired in 1977 he became the vehicle controller at Park Lane.
My late wifes uncle, Albert Bell was a bobby around that time, they lived a police house almost opposite the old tram depot, after retiremen he worked on the gate at, think it was Moss Gears. He was a surley, nasty bad tempered man, he hated Enids Dad, still takes all sorts to
make a world. Bernard

Hello Sylyal.....Don't know if this will help your research. The book 'Old Ladywood Remembered' by Victor J Price Includes a small item on the Police Force.

'Ladywood was administered by the City of Birmingham Police Force, 'B' Division who had their station in Ladywood Road next door to the Almshouses (Lench's Trust) which was next door to the Children's Hospital. Sgt. Bacon of St. Mary's Street and P.C. Wright of Rann Street were two of the officers stationed there'......The article included a photo of a policeman with the type of uniform they wore at the time, but no date I'm afraid.

Florence

Hello Sylyal.....Don't know if this will help your research. The book 'Old Ladywood Remembered' by Victor J Price Includes a small item on the Police Force.

'Ladywood was administered by the City of Birmingham Police Force, 'B' Division who had their station in Ladywood Road next door to the Almshouses (Lench's Trust) which was next door to the Children's Hospital. Sgt. Bacon of St. Mary's Street and P.C. Wright of Rann Street were two of the officers stationed there'......The article included a photo of a policeman with the type of uniform they wore at the time, but no date I'm afraid.

Florence

This picture was my great Grandad PC Reginald Wright. He married Muriel Warrington Yapp in 1909. My nan Edna was his daughter and lived in Rann St. I believe he was born in 1880 and in 1911 census was listed at St Vincent st. So would be after 1911. My nan was born in 1912. I am told he was first officer to direct traffic on five ways. Wouldn't fancy risking that these days. I would love to find details of his parents but having difficulty.

Hi sylyal.
Hi, it seems this thread is quite old, I hope it's still working!
I'm chasing up the Duke St police workshops. I just met, randomly, the daughter of a guy who used to work there, Lawrence Grattige. I read your post, but I think you might be mistaken regards Park Lane. It didn't open until 1984, so your dad most likely was controller at Duke St in 1977. Back then it was run by a police officer, or retired. I have been at Park Lane for 20 years, and the stories get passed down? What is your dad's name? received_2385913594764608.jpeg

Hi, it seems this thread is quite old, I hope it's still working!
I'm chasing up the Duke St police workshops. I just met, randomly, the daughter of a guy who used to work there, Lawrence Grattige. I read your post, but I think you might be mistaken regards Park Lane. It didn't open until 1984, so your dad most likely was controller at Duke St in 1977. Back then it was run by a police officer, or retired. I have been at Park Lane for 20 years, and the stories get passed down? What is your dad's name? View attachment 135259
My dad died in 1995 huge turnout of police passed and present at his funeral
Tom moore known by all as dad

Sorry forgot to say he was vehicle controller for many years as a civvy he worked at park lane because i visited there to see him

Hi again, I spoke to two or three of the 'old boys' and they remembered Dad Moore. One of the last Duke St guys retired this week as it happens. He remembers your dad from Duke St and later, Park Lane.
Said he was a quite stern but very fair man. It's a shame we don't have characters like that now. Anyway, Dad Moore is still remembered, so I hope that's good to know.

Hi again, I spoke to two or three of the 'old boys' and they remembered Dad Moore. One of the last Duke St guys retired this week as it happens. He remembers your dad from Duke St and later, Park Lane.
Said he was a quite stern but very fair man. It's a shame we don't have characters like that now. Anyway, Dad Moore is still remembered, so I hope that's good to know.
Hi, I have just joined this conversation/thread. reference Duke Street Police mechanics garage. My dad worked as a police mechanic, later using civilians. I still have the Velocette he bought and I passed my test on it 40 odd years ago. I remember visiting dad at Duke Street (now an optical place for Aston University). My mum went to NARPO at Tally Ho and as I took her met retired John - cant remember his surname - he was a Sergeant I think. Any way dad finished his years opening Bournville Lane! His name Brian 'Spike' Hughes, (not the musical Spike!). Unfortunately dad passed away in 2002.

Hi, I have just joined this conversation/thread. reference Duke Street Police mechanics garage. My dad worked as a police mechanic, later using civilians. I still have the Velocette he bought and I passed my test on it 40 odd years ago. I remember visiting dad at Duke Street (now an optical place for Aston University). My mum went to NARPO at Tally Ho and as I took her met retired John - cant remember his surname - he was a Sergeant I think. Any way dad finished his years opening Bournville Lane! His name Brian 'Spike' Hughes, (not the musical Spike!). Unfortunately dad passed away in 2002.
Er my surname is Hughes, but I have been a pro juggler most of my life ( now also a mobile enforcement officer - on a scooter!). I should have been a police motorcyclist! - though my parents thought I would be in the CID

Chicheley st was off Vauxhall road, the opposite side of town to Cambridge St.
I would think that Ladywood police station, in Ladywood road would be the nearest police station to Cambridge st. . It was close to the junction with Broad st. On the attached map the Crescent is shown in red , with Cambridge st just below, while the Ladywood Police station is in blue in the bottom left corner
Mike

map_c_1914A__showing_crescent_and_ladywood_pol_station.jpg
Hi Mike,
as a child we lived in Ladywood Road directly opposite the Police station and lench's almshouses. The building was a Doctors surgery,A Dr Kerr's practice. I believe the property was number 26. Would you check please,no particular reason,just interest.

Thanks,
NoddKD

Hi Mike,
as a child we lived in Ladywood Road directly opposite the Police station and lench's almshouses. The building was a Doctors surgery,A Dr Kerr's practice. I believe the property was number 26. Would you check please,no particular reason,just interest.

Thanks,
NoddKD
I wonder if it was the same Dr Kerr that was in the new surgery in the 60s on Plough and Harrow Road?

I wonder if it was the same Dr Kerr that was in the new surgery in the 60s on Plough and Harrow Road?
It was. Previous to that location his surgery was at 180 Monument Rd. We lived in the property and my mother worked for him as a general dogsbody. Today she would be titled practice manager.
Slight digression,I attend St George's school which was next door to the new surgery.

NoddKD

Back