• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police Aided Asociation

Two

master brummie
Birmingham City Police - Police Aided Association - December 25th 1923 - Postcard
pol.jpg

Very interesting postcard. A quick look on Google suggests that a number of large cities (e.g. Liverpool, Edinburgh) had these Police Aided Clothing Associations in which children of need were given footwear and clothing. Thanks. Dave

What a lovely card. I didn't know the Police used to have an association for giving out footwear and clothing. I can just imagine the relief a cold child would feel to have some warm clothes to wear. Does anyone know when this started and when it ended. I wonder where the police got the clothes from?

This association was going up until the early fifty,s and some still got a letter from the police informing them they have been chosen
For a clothing grant a.long with a Birmingham mail fund which combined contributions and in the case of Birmingham
You would go to digbeth police station in the back entrance where you would be kitted out with boots shoes and gray patteren socks and
Trousers and a wholly pull over with a patteren the patteren was all the as colour
I am surprised our older members would have replyed to this thread as I know ten years ago this was mentioned on here
And by holy there was a lot of responds from our older members. But I I believe most of them are not here any more
One or two have passed away sadly other wise there would be a big responds
We was one family whom got it in the fortys we went there five of us we got the contact by police first and confirmed by the chief of police
Steel house lane when we got there there was dozens of family all in this big room waiting for our names to be called
And got the boots and clothing but when you went back to school the posh ones or the middle class kids
Would start ribbing the kids I was at upper Thomas street Aston. And believe me there was a lot of lids at that school whom got the gear
And all at upper Thomas street. Astonian,,,,

We certainly sold paper flags which contributers were encouraged to wear in their lapel as late as 1956. This was one one of the means by which funds were raised. The most popular item given out from Digbeth Police Station without doubt were the very stout, and there for anyone in the know to see, boots.

Back