• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pinsfold St Access To New St Station

Old Joe

proper brummie kid
I have become involved in a discussion on New t staion in the 1930 era. .................. Its a long shot I know but would any one have a pic at the bottom end of Pinsford St where it joined onto Navigation St There were some stairs going down onto the very end of one of the Platforms of New St station ; The stairs came out at the end of a platform just before the tunnel up to `monument Lane stn It was always very quiet there as no passengers would have used it much and it was indeed the very end of what must have been Platform No 1 Further up Pinsford St on the same side was a yard where thePOST Office had abuilding where the Telegram girls worked on the macjines on incoming Telegrams and then futrher up an doorway leading into the POST Ofice back rooms etc. I did work as a Telegram Boy for a short period ,thats how I know about the Telegram girlsL but for the train spotting that was when I was around ten yrs old Perhaps Birmingham Phill may have a Pic so some one who knows how to work the forum could pass this on to him HERES HOPING Old Joe

Old Joe

Here are a couple of photos of the location that you want, they do indeed show that there once was an access to a platform from Pinfold Street. The 1898 street plan shows the staircase leading down to a platform. I have to say that I don't think this platform was ever used by the public, at least I never heard of it being used. Could it have been some sort of a goods platform or even a mail platform?

Attachments

• City Navigation St - Pinfold St.jpg
    City Navigation St - Pinfold St.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 21
  • City Pinfold Street 1963 .jpg
    City Pinfold Street 1963 .jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Pinfold St.JPG
    Pinfold St.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 18
Platform 1 was not a full length though platform nor was platform 2. The buffer stops were just short of the footbridge and the other side of the footbridge were two more terminal platforms 1A and 2A This means that if platform 1 was ever used by passenger trains then they would be local trains heading out to Monument Road, perhaps the Harborne Flyer

Old Joe

This 1950 plan of the station layout shows the area to be more of a staff entrance / access than part of the working station.

Attachments

• New St 1950 layout.jpg
    New St 1950 layout.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi David,

I wouldn't have known platform 1 from the fish siding without the plan.

Phil

I notice that platforms 1A & 2A are marked Stour Valley Bays and platforms 1 & 2 are marked South Staffordshire Bays confirming my thoughts that these platforms were for local trains

Back