• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photos of Bagot and Montgomery Street Rifle Factories?

coggansfield

Brummie babby
Hello, I am currently writing a book for Headstamp Publishing on Lee-Enfield Royal Irish Constabulary pattern carbines, 11,200 of which were in the early 20th century converted to the police pattern from the cavalry-pattern carbines of the day. The large majority of this conversion work was done at the government Royal Small Arms Repair Facility (RSARF), which at the time occupied part of the RSAF Sparkbrook rifle factory on Montgomery Street.

The book will contain a whole chapter on the RSARF. This was housed in the RSAF Sparkbrook establishment from 1894 until the place was sold to BSA in 1906. Before that, from 1841 to 1894, the BRF was situated on a one-acre site on Bagot Street known as "the Tower".

I am looking for old photos of either location, Bagot Street or Montgomery Street. Modern photos of the two places are attached. The one with the two modern high-rises is Bagot Street, while the brick-façaded industrial location is Montgomery Street (in fact, this is what survives of the RSAF Sparkbrook façade). In the case of Bagot Street, any old photos will do — even post-WWI pics, when the place was used for other (non-military) industrial purposes. For example, it was a bicycle factory for a while.

Any photos anyone may have of either establishment, interior or exterior photos, will be much appreciated. Then captions under any photos used will credit you for your generosity. You can reply to me via this forum or PM me for my e-mail address.

Thanks very much,

Douglas P. Munro, Ph.D.

Attachments

• 1_Bagot Street- copy.jpg
    1_Bagot Street- copy.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2_Montgomery Street copy.jpg
    2_Montgomery Street copy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 15
if you put bagot street in the search box we have a thread for it including i think old photos taken before and after ww1..we always advise using the search box because we have thousands of threads on here..hope this is of help

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks, Lyn. I did check that thread and there were a fair number of pics of the general Bagot Street area, but none of that factory. But you never knw. Perhaps will turn up. Thanks v. much -- Coggo

hi coggo i will of course post any photos i may find of the factory on here...fingers crossed

lyn

Hi Douglas

Found this link which has photos of Bagot street housing none of the factory I'm afraid

The Proof House of the Royal Small Arms Factory, Birmingham.​

An engraving of the Proof House of the RSA Factory, Birmingham.All gun barrels had by law to be tested or 'proved', and were then marked. No small arms could be sold if they did not carry the mark of a Proof House. Dated 19th century. (Photo by: Universal History Archive/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

Attachments

• RSA smallheath.jpg
    RSA smallheath.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 6
Back