• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phillips Tracing my Grandfather's Uncles

Phillips

Hello everyone.

My father and I have started tracing our family history and while we have found out a lot, the family's role in WW1 is still something of a mystery. My grandfather rarely talked about what his father and paternal uncles did, apart from two stories - the first that more than one of them served at Ypres, and another story about one of his Uncles was wounded and was passed over by French medical teams who treated French soldiers only.

Furthermore, we are not even sure how many of my Grandfather's paternal uncles even survived the war, as we have little reliable information about them post war.

The family were all born and bred in Aston, and that this generation, and several beforehand, were brass founders, strip casters or button makers (and one blacksmith).

We do know that my Grandfather's only maternal Uncle (James Edward Roe) joined the Royal Garrison Artillery at their Saltley barracks and fought in France before being killed in action in September 1916. We also know that my Grandfather's paternal uncles lived only around the corner from James Roe, knew him and may have also joined the RGA.

So far I can find very little evidence of which unit my Grandfather's Uncles joined, be it either the Royal Warwickshire or the RGA. Does anyone know whether there was a tendency for Aston/Vauxhall/Saltley lads to join the RGA over the Royal Warwickshire? Or was it evenly spread?

Does the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour cover the RGA units and the Saltley Garrisons? If not, can anyone point me in the direction of similar resource (if it exists)?

The names of my Grandfather's uncles, and his father, where as follows:

William George Phillips b ~ 1877
Adam Phillips b ~ 1882
John Wilfred Phillips b ~ 1884
Henry Edward Brightcliffe Phillips b ~ 1886
Arbuthnot Charles Phillips b ~ 1893

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Re: Tracing my Grandfather's Uncles

Arbuthnot Charles Phillips, Private, 306027, Royal Warks Regt.

Hello everyone.

My father and I have started tracing our family history and while we have found out a lot, the family's role in WW1 is still something of a mystery. My grandfather rarely talked about what his father and paternal uncles did, apart from two stories - the first that more than one of them served at Ypres, and another story about one of his Uncles was wounded and was passed over by French medical teams who treated French soldiers only.

Furthermore, we are not even sure how many of my Grandfather's paternal uncles even survived the war, as we have little reliable information about them post war.

The family were all born and bred in Aston, and that this generation, and several beforehand, were brass founders, strip casters or button makers (and one blacksmith).

We do know that my Grandfather's only maternal Uncle (James Edward Roe) joined the Royal Garrison Artillery at their Saltley barracks and fought in France before being killed in action in September 1916. We also know that my Grandfather's paternal uncles lived only around the corner from James Roe, knew him and may have also joined the RGA.

So far I can find very little evidence of which unit my Grandfather's Uncles joined, be it either the Royal Warwickshire or the RGA. Does anyone know whether there was a tendency for Aston/Vauxhall/Saltley lads to join the RGA over the Royal Warwickshire? Or was it evenly spread?

Does the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour cover the RGA units and the Saltley Garrisons? If not, can anyone point me in the direction of similar resource (if it exists)?

Adam Phillips b ~ 1882

I was at Ypres a few years ago, looking at the war graves.
A list of lost solders at this cemetery are:-
Phillips Charles Edgar d o b 18/3/1989 ( my uncle )
Phillips E
Phillips T
Sidney Phillips ( my uncle ) grave at same cemetery he died 24/3/1917 (73157 ).
I was shocked at how many cemetery's are in this area.

Our side of the Phillips family, Charles Phillips dob 1864 came from Winchcome Gloucestshire, moved to Aston around 1890s then moved to Harborne. Another branch of Phillips family also lived in Harborne.

Nick S Phillips

Hello everyone.

Adam Phillips b ~ 1882

Hello everyone.

Adam Phillips b ~ 1882

Many thanks in advance for any help or
Hello everyone.

Adam Phillips b ~ 1882

Many thanks in advance for any help or adv
Have you found any further information of the Phillips on the list above?

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Back