• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peter Mould At Sans Souci

Paul D

master brummie
Hi,
I am checking on an address in the fifties for a Mr Peter Mould, all I have is "Sans Souci" Shirley Heath. Can anyone help with full address please. I believe he had a business called "Mould Bros" in Camp Hill. Thanks.

Hi Paul

The only help I can give is, that I remember Mould Brothers on Stratford Rd at the bottom of Auckland Rd and I can tell you nothing more than they built a garage on the site in the 60's when they demolished the premises. You probably know that "sans souci" is French and means "No Worries". Shirley Heath is down Tanworth Lane off Stratford Rd in Shirley Solihull.

If I remember correctly, Mould Bros, was on the left side of the Stratford Road, just past Auckland Road, going into town. It has been over sixty years since I went past that way, but as I sat on the bus when it passed Mould Bros, I recall the big front doors would often be open. I often wondered what they did there. Was it a foundry?

Eddie

Thanks for your help everyone. I am trying to collect a bit of background on Peter Mould. He was a racing driver and was friends with Ken Miles who I am writing about.

If I remember correctly, Mould Bros, was on the left side of the Stratford Road, just past Auckland Road, going into town. It has been over sixty years since I went past that way, but as I sat on the bus when it passed Mould Bros, I recall the big front doors would often be open. I often wondered what they did there. Was it a foundry?

Eddie

Eddie

I always assumed it was some sort of a brass foundry as well but I was never sure, so I looked it up. As well as being a brass foundry they also manufactured lead pipe & lead sheet.

Sans Souci is the name of a house in Tamworth Lane Shirley. It was or maybe still is the Solihull Teachers Centre- I have fond memories as it is where my husband first asked me out!!! It is at the Dog Kennel Lane end of Tamworth Lane next door to what I think was known as Mould's Sports Ground.

Janice

Janice it is Tanworth Lane not Tamworth, as shown above.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Janice it is Tanworth Lane not Tamworth, as shown above.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I know but think my fingers got carried away. My Mother and her Mother always called it Tannorth ( to distinguish it). Sorry for the confusion.

Janice

Yes the.mould family lived on the Stratford road many years ago way back in the late sixties before they moved
And they was into pipes and they also openened a amusement arcade on the corner of Stratford road by the trafice lights
On stone lane and Walford road I knew David mould a big lad
The mould family was on a thread on here about ten years ago on this forum and I also put a big in put regarding the moulds
Along with other members whom are no longer with us and plus the fact the forum was high jacked and lost some time ago so now its all been lost to call back up
The last time I seen David on Stratford red was in 1964 there amusement arcade was up and running
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Paul:

Perhaps this might help to date the closure and provide the correct full name of the business. It's from the London Gazette dated 4 December 1964, Issue 43508, Page 10381

Maurice

Mould_1.jpg

Paul,

That appears to be the only company document online and unfortunately it doesn't name the directors of the company. For some years now Companies House have destroyed all filed documents once a company has ceased trading for 20 years, i.e. in this case in 1984. I've searched the British Library Newspaper Archives, but they have very little online after 1950. Otherwise you are left to search the various Birmingham newspapers that are only on microfilm at the Library of Birmingham and are not indexed - a tedious exercise to say the least!

Maurice

Not sure if this is connected or not but there used to be a sports ground where the extension to Robin Hood cemetery is. The ground was, I think, known as Jack Mould's (is it the same family as mentioned earlier?

Janice

You're welcome, Paul, sometimes what should be a simple exercise is complicated because basic documents haven't survived.

Maurice

Thanks for your help everyone. I am trying to collect a bit of background on Peter Mould. He was a racing driver and was friends with Ken Miles who I am writing about.
Just found this post, I know it old, but wondered what you found out about Peter Mould, and if you finished the book on Ken Miles? Peter Mould was my father.
John mould

I believe that a film has been made starring Christian Bale as Ken Miles the racing driver.

Yes there is a movie out now called Le Mans 66. It is about the friendship between Ken Miles who was born in Sutton Coldfield and Carroll Shelby and there quest to beat Ferrari at Le Mans.

Last edited:

Eddie
It was indeed a foundry! I lived in Auckland Road in the 50's. We used to look inside when they left the sliding doors open on Auckland Road, at all the molten metal and furnaces. they sometimes unloaded stillages of scrap metal in the doorway. Once a stillage was fill of brass badges to be melted down. Me and my mates grabbed a handful and scarpered back home after one of the workers gave chase up the street :)

Dave Haw,

Welcome to the Forum. Sadly NorfolkBrummie passed away a while ago now, hence the Gone but not forgotten status under his avatar.

Maurice :cool:

Dave Haw,

Welcome to the Forum. Sadly NorfolkBrummie passed away a while ago now, hence the Gone but not forgotten status under his avatar.

Maurice :cool:
No problem Maurice, Was only reflecting on my past. As we all approach the great Brummie land in the sky its good to look back and remember :cool:

Welcome Tony. You might not get a reply as it looks as if John hasn't been on the forum for 3 years. If he has opted for email notifications he might see your message.
(You can see when people have been on by clicking on their name next to their avatar).

Back