• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pet shop in Vyse Street 1950s.

mossg

master brummie
Does anyone remember there being a pet shop in Vyse Street?
I dont know if my memory is playing tricks on me,but i am sure i can remember there being a pet shop on the right hand side just up from Gt Hampton Street.They even had caged monkeys.
Moss.

hi moss...how unusual to have a pet shop in the jewellery quarter...i can remember hockley cem being on that corner but thats about it...a kellys look up may be an idea...

lyn

Not sure where exactly it was in Vyse Street, but when i worked in Quarter people used to tell me about it.

There's not one listed in kellys in 1950, 56, 62, 63, 64 or 66, though thta doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't one, just that Kellys didn't list it. the nearest seems to have been in Camden St

hi mike...i dont know what year moss is talking about but i found it most strange to hear of him remembering caged monkeys....i cant ever recall seeing them in pet shops when i was a kid but like i said it depends on the year...

lyn

On pet shops which you were, anyone remember the Pet Sop near the corner of Miller Street & Newtown Row

Last edited:
Hi Mikejee.It wasnt Camden Street,i feel sure it was Vyse Street but may have been Hockley Street and it was the mid 50s.
Moss.

morning alf...here is a pic of the corner of miller st and newtown row...would the pet shop have been along here...

lyn

Thanks Lyn I think it was where the Cafe is, I was going to say the corner.

no probs alf...i do sometimes wish i was a little older like i would have a better memory of places like this....never mind the pics are just as good...

lyn

I think it was on before but I forgot to do anything about it

Back