• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

People living at 311 coventry road, birmingham between 1911-1921

According to Kelly's Trade Directory 1913 it was C. S. Hawkesford & Son Tobacconist

Phil

In the 1920 electoral rolls, the hawkesfords have another address in addition, so they did not live at the shop. there was also (presumably above the shop) John Daniel & Emily Cain & walter & Louisa Hawkes

Phil was spot on. According to the Electoral Roll for 1920:-

Charles Slingsby HAWKESFORD
Lilian HAWKESFORD
Francis Charles HAWKESFORD and
Annie HAWKESFORD

These people also had an abode at 187 Bristol Road.

But also living at number 311, presumably in flat(s) above the shop, were:-

John Daniel & Emily CAIN and
Walter & Louisa HAWKES

EDIT: Ha ha, Mike beat me to it by a few seconds!

Maurice :cool:

This is very useful, Does anybody know about who was living there in the earlier period 1911-1916? My Grandmother seems to have this address around 1913-1916 Fanny Abrahamson was her name at that time
Cheers,
gareth

In 1912, Alfred MEERS and William SPENCER - females weren't generally listed then unless the owner of the property

Maurice :cool:

Other than the Hawksworths , in 1912 it gives Alfred Mees (successive) , which i think means he was only there for part of a year, and William Spencer. In the absent voters list of 1918 it lists John Daniel Cain. In theses cases women would not have been included.

Back