• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pedley's shop Heneage street

catmadjax

knowlegable brummie
I am still trying to find any photographs of Pedley's newsagents that was in Heneage street. I beleive they were next door to a grocers owned by two ladies? If i could find a photo of the grocers, then there might be a photo of my grandad's shop next to them?

I did contact the Central Library and this is what they said about the photos of Heneage street in an email back to me:

Photograph WK/B11/1964 which was taken at some point between 1903 - 1905
shows the front of a shop at nos. 57 - 58 Heneage Street but the 1905
edition of Kelly's Directory of Birmingham states the premises was occupied
by a Richard Dale, Grocer and not the Pedleys.
As mentioned in our conversation on Wednesday, the Warwickshire
Photographic Survey holds very few images of Heneage Street for the period
you require and the index to the collection has only one reference to a
photograph of the shop on the street which is WK/B11/1964.

I can confirm that there was a grocers next door the 1940 directory for Heneage St says

197 Bembridge & Jenkins ltd, ships tackle mfrs,
199 Kendrick Mrs Amy greengro,
202 Pedley Chas, H, Newsagent,
here is Birmingham Row....
203 May Mrs Clara, Emily tripe dresser,
205 Eagle Wm draper,

etc, etc, etc, etc,

I am still trying to find any photographs of Pedley's newsagents that was in Heneage street. I beleive they were next door to a grocers owned by two ladies? If i could find a photo of the grocers, then there might be a photo of my grandad's shop next to them?

I did contact the Central Library and this is what they said about the photos of Heneage street in an email back to me:

Photograph WK/B11/1964 which was taken at some point between 1903 - 1905
shows the front of a shop at nos. 57 - 58 Heneage Street but the 1905
edition of Kelly's Directory of Birmingham states the premises was occupied
by a Richard Dale, Grocer and not the Pedleys.
As mentioned in our conversation on Wednesday, the Warwickshire
Photographic Survey holds very few images of Heneage Street for the period
you require and the index to the collection has only one reference to a
photograph of the shop on the street which is WK/B11/1964.

Ahh thank you, so Pedleys was 202 Heneage street? I wonder if i can find out when it was taken over by the Pedleys? Is there any directory that would tell me? Is Kellys directory online at all?

Thank you for that info anyway.

Charles Henry Pedley appears as owner for the first time in Kellys in 1904. In the 1903 edition it was a different person

The shop as Pedley,s is / was there till about 1963 it has gone by 1964 (you must allow the directory to be out by one year) but what is happening the shops around him are closing down his was one of the last to go I have to assume the area was up for redevelopment

There used to be a firm that sold C D,s of Kelly s and of course you can by the originals from booksellers or Ebay

Ahh thank you, so Pedleys was 202 Heneage street? I wonder if i can find out when it was taken over by the Pedleys? Is there any directory that would tell me? Is Kellys directory online at all?

Thank you for that info anyway.

Ahh i see, i read somewhere on here that the shop next door was owned by two woman, and that they went to Kellet Road shops, which is where My grandfather shop was moved to also.

I wonder what their shop was called, the two woman?? maybe there would be photos of that???

In the 1965 directory there are only four address for Kellett Rd as follows

91/105 Lister st Post Office,
107 Pedley C H newsagt,
109 Brown A W Drug store,
111 Mason Miss V G Grocer,

this is last time he is at this adress but there are in the 1966 directory

Pedley Alfrd, Hardware dlr, 52 Waterloo Rd, Smethwick, 41,
Pedley H G shopkpr, 193 Adderley Rd 8 East 4162
Pedley J & D newsagent, 728 Kingsbury Rd 24, Erdington, 1181,
Pedley,s (T, H, , E & M Pedley proprs) newsagents, 219 Cotterill La 8 East 4299

Ahh i see, i read somewhere on here that the shop next door was owned by two woman, and that they went to Kellet Road shops, which is where My grandfather shop was moved to also.

I wonder what their shop was called, the two woman?? maybe there would be photos of that???

And again Got it with photo bucket this is from the wrong direction but getting close.Dek

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a brilliant photo thank you! I wonder which one is my grandad's shop? I know they had a car or vehicle that most other people didnt have, i wonder if thats their car right at the end of the street? their shop was on a corner lol.

could someone please confirm or not if pedleys shop was actually on the corner of henry st and heneage st as i have just found another pic showing an outdoor on that corner but maybe it used to be pedleys...

lyn

could someone please confirm or not if pedleys shop was actually on the corner of henry st and heneage st as i have just found another pic showing an outdoor on that corner but maybe it used to be pedleys...

lyn

Yes Lyn I too think there was an outdoor on one of the opposite corners this question needs answering.Dek

Dek & Lyn

Though the outdoor was on the corner of Heneage St it was actually in Henry st if I remember correctly Pedleys was a few doors further down than the corner.

Phil

lyn
Below is a map showing no 202 Heneage st, which is shown as Pedleys in Kellys

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

lyn

Pedley's shop was further along from the Out door.

thanks mike and ernie...this photo i have is so close then as it show the house next to the outdoor...2 more along and i would have had pedleys shop...getting closer...

Back