• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pearson George Owen 1876-1926

P

Pearson

I'm researching ancestors and descendants of my Great Grandfather, George Owen Pearson. He married Charlotte Louisa Broadhurst 17 Feb 1898 and they had 7 children that I know about:
Francis George 1898-1968
Emily Rose 1899-1990
William Edward 1901-1963
Harry 1903-1938
Charles Owen 1907-
Edward Thomas 1909-1981
Amy May 1913-

I'm looking for any information about his children, grandchildren and other relatives. From 1898 to about 1910 he lived in Grosvenor Street West, Ladywood and was a Hairdresser. He then moved to 71 Heath Mill Lane, Aston.

George's father Charles Pearson was born 19 Aug 1848 in Neithrop, Banbury. His father, George Pearson, was baptised 5 Aug 1821 in Spratton, Northamptonshire. I've got the Pearson family going back to about 1500, in Spratton, through the Parish Records and Wills. If anyone else researching this family would like details please contact me.
[email protected]

If you have any information about the Pearson family in Birmingham, especially in the 20th century, then please contact me. My branch of the family moved away and lost touch with the rest of the family so there are big gaps in our recent family history.

Hi Pearson

I searched form 1914 up to the end of 1925 and found these --

Harold F mmn Broadhurst 2nd qtr 1916 Aston 6d 795

Richard M mmn Broadhurst 1st qtr 1919 Aston 6d 621

I assume you have the birth details of those that you listed.

I assume this is them in the 1901 census --

Name:George Pearson
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1878
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Clara
Where born:Birmingham
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:St Barnabas
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: 39 Grosvenor Street West

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub-registration district:Lady Wood
ED, institution, or vessel:33
Household schedule number:23

Household Members:NameAge
Clara Pearson
Emily Pearson
Frank Pearson
George Pearson

Name:Frank Pearson
[Francis George Pearson]

Relation:Son
Father's Name:George
Mother's Name:Clara
Where born:Birmingham

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2828; Folio: 70; Page: 4.

bren

Thanks for all that info bren

The census entry you gave is George Owen, although Charlotte's name is incorrect on that census entry. I've got complete census entries for George and Charlotte and all their bmd's except for Charlotte's death. George died in 1926 and she is no longer listed in the electoral roll for 71 Heath Mill Lane from 1928, although Frances George continues to live their with his family. Can't find a death cert entry for her - bit of a mystery when she must have died around that time.

I have got a big census mystery for George Owen's parents though. Charles Pearson was born in Neithrop, Banbury 19 Aug 1848. He married Emma Bagley, born Walsall 2 Jan 1852, in Dudley on 2 Feb 1873. George Owen, their eldest was born 40 Holliday Street, Birmingham. In the 1881 census they are living at 2 Bk 15 Barker Street with more children, Isaiah Charles, 1878, & Rose (born 1880, died 1881) Charles was a Gas Tube Examiner. After that the family disappears. There must have been more children but I can't find entries in 1891 or 1901. I've even searched through the census by street, Holliday St, Rawlins St, & Barker St for 1891, but nothing. On George's marriage cert, 1898, Charles is listed as Commercial Traveller, so presumably still living then, but I can't find death entries for Charles or Emma.

I'll need to look into those 1916/19 Broadhurst details you gave, although Charlotte's brothers were William and Francis and her Father Francis Thomas.

Hi Pearson

I know the surname is wrong but if you have access to the census have a look at this and see what you think -- 1891 Census

Name:Charles Amis
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1852
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Emma
Where born:Bromyard, Kent, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:Immanuel
Town:Birmingham
County/Island:Warwickshire

Street address: 81 Bishopsgate St

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub-registration district:St Thomas
ED, institution, or vessel:27

Household Members:NameAge
Charles Amis
Emma Amis
39 Born Walsall
George Amis
Isiah Char Amis

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2379; Folio 40; Page 27; GSU roll: 6097489.

If you don't have access to the image pm your e-mail address and i will send it to you
I did a search with just the name George born in B'ham and trawled through the lot and this was the only one that matched any details with yours.

By the way those names in my last post, Harold and Richard, are Pearson - mothers maiden name Broadhurst.
You say you cannot find a death cert entry for Charlotte, is there any reason why you say "she must have died around that time", she would have been abt50 yrs old, have you ever thought that she just might have remarried.

bren

Hi Bren
What a genius you are!
All the details for the family match except the surname and Charles' place of birth. I've searched the birth index for 1875-80 and there isn't an entry at all for an Isaiah Amis, Amies, Ames and the only George entry is in 1880 and no where near Birmingham.
Next mystery - why did the family use a different surname for that census, and possibly for the whole period they were living at that address? Our thoughts are perhaps to evade creditors

Certainly George Owen, at least, went back to using Pearson since that's on his marriage certificate.

Very many thanks

Greetings Pearson,
I have both the names Pearson and Broadhurst, of Birmingham, in my lines however I cannot see any connections with your particular lines at this time.
My Pearsons I have back to a William born 1809 in Stoney Stratford, Buckinghamshire who came to Brum, settled and bred.
My Broadhursts go back a mite further and are closer of a connection to me. I have however one missing. He is a John Broadhurst born Brum on 20.9.1850. Mentioned in case you may trace your Clara, as a daughter, to such a man.
Good hunting and if in the passage of time you need any help drop me a p.m.
Will.

Hi Guys, don't mean to throw the cat among the pigeons! However I found as you say Charles married to Emma.

Marriages Mar 1873
Bagley Emma Dudley 6c155
Pearson Charles Dudley 6c155

I did find however in the 1891 Census

3 Records found
Piece: RG12/2395 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: St.Paul
Folio: 18 Page: 29 Schedule: 200
Address: 14 Frederick St
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
PEARSON Charles T Head M M 33 Caretaker(Em'ee)
Oxfordshire - Banbury
PEARSON Mary A Wife M F 33 Caretaker(Em'ee)
Staffordshire - West Bromwich
BALL Annie Servnt S F 16 General Domestic(Em'ee)
Warwickshire - Birmingham

and I also found

Marriages Jun 1882
PEARSON Charles Aston 6d438
SMITH Mary Ann Aston 6d438

My question now is do you think that Charles' age could have been mistranscribed on the census and should read 43 and not 33 ? As this could then well be your 'Charles born Banbury'

Now of cause this may all mean nothing at all, but it's better to know than go on a wild goose chase for the wrong family.

Pom :angel:

Back