• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pearce Service

steveb

knowlegable brummie
Just a memory that i thought i would share, my father worked as a garage manager at a firm called Pearce Service that was located between Cornwall Street and Great Charles Street, the Great Charles Street side sold mainly fuel to passing traffic, it was located just before you entered the queensway, the other end of the building in Cornwall Street was for parking and storage of cars.

This was a multi storey car park but was private and not open to the public it was very secure, so you left your car and it was parked for you, being a very secure place to leave your car it attacted the upper market cars of the day and some were owned by famous people that wanted to leave their vehicle somewhere safe and secure.

A lot of the stars of the day in the sixties used to stay at the Grand Hotel while they were performing in Birmingham and a pick up drop off service was provided to the Grand.

One i remember was Matt Monroe he was a really nice guy and his car was a mark 10 Jaguar a massive thing, another memory i recall the ATV studios as it was at the time in the late 60,s early 70,s had a contract to park all their vehicles securely, Ford Cortina Estates with ATV painted on the side, i assume these were for outside broadcast probably with expensive cameras inside to rush off to different news stories that were developing.

Another couple of people i remember who parked their vehicles at the garage was Noele Gordon if i remember correctly she had a Roller, and yet another person that used to park there was Sue Hanson otherwise known as Miss Diane from Crossroads she had a mini and i dont know why but i remembered the registration it was 22 RAE being about 10 at the time i was probably gob smacked seeing all these famous people off the telly.

My biggest memory was there must have been some big promotion in Birmingham when the film Goldfinger was released and the actual Aston Martin was parked up very securely in a taped off area so no one could go by it only to be touched or moved by the film people it was the one with the ejector seat and guns at the front it was covered with a big dust sheet over it, but dad pulled it back so i could have a look and wow what a car, wasnt allowed to touch it though.

Many many happy memories thought i would recollect someone may find it interesting, the garage has long gone and it has been turned into offices, however there is a photo on the internet of the queen opening the queensway and in the background is the black frontage of Pearce Service.

Hi Steveb, welcome to Birmingham History forum, some interesting events, and memories you have there.

Am I imagining seeing the Goldfinger Aston Martin displayed at a Bingley Hall exhibition? Maybe the Thunderbirds Rolls-Royce was also on display too

Dont remember the Thunderbirds Rolls Royce being parked up there, but didnt know where the promotion was but it looks like Rackhams, great clip from the paper. Found the picture of the Queen opening the Queensway tunnel.0_Queen-Elizabeth-II-Visits-Birmingham-1971.jpg 0_Queen-Elizabeth-II-Visits-Birmingham-1971.jpg

Just a memory that i thought i would share, my father worked as a garage manager at a firm called Pearce Service that was located between Cornwall Street and Great Charles Street, the Great Charles Street side sold mainly fuel to passing traffic, it was located just before you entered the queensway, the other end of the building in Cornwall Street was for parking and storage of cars.

This was a multi storey car park but was private and not open to the public it was very secure, so you left your car and it was parked for you, being a very secure place to leave your car it attacted the upper market cars of the day and some were owned by famous people that wanted to leave their vehicle somewhere safe and secure.

A lot of the stars of the day in the sixties used to stay at the Grand Hotel while they were performing in Birmingham and a pick up drop off service was provided to the Grand.

One i remember was Matt Monroe he was a really nice guy and his car was a mark 10 Jaguar a massive thing, another memory i recall the ATV studios as it was at the time in the late 60,s early 70,s had a contract to park all their vehicles securely, Ford Cortina Estates with ATV painted on the side, i assume these were for outside broadcast probably with expensive cameras inside to rush off to different news stories that were developing.

Another couple of people i remember who parked their vehicles at the garage was Noele Gordon if i remember correctly she had a Roller, and yet another person that used to park there was Sue Hanson otherwise known as Miss Diane from Crossroads she had a mini and i dont know why but i remembered the registration it was 22 RAE being about 10 at the time i was probably gob smacked seeing all these famous people off the telly.

My biggest memory was there must have been some big promotion in Birmingham when the film Goldfinger was released and the actual Aston Martin was parked up very securely in a taped off area so no one could go by it only to be touched or moved by the film people it was the one with the ejector seat and guns at the front it was covered with a big dust sheet over it, but dad pulled it back so i could have a look and wow what a car, wasnt allowed to touch it though.

Many many happy memories thought i would recollect someone may find it interesting, the garage has long gone and it has been turned into offices, however there is a photo on the internet of the queen opening the queensway and in the background is the black frontage of Pearce Service.

Hi Steveb
Just read your article about Pearces garage. i used work there serving petrol on Tuesday evenings and Thursday evenings between 6.0 pm and 10 pm in the early sixties. I used to work at Drew & Hopwoods the printers two doors down. Some of the names I remember Jimmy Cooper and his brother Ralph, Bill the manager, Gordon the mechanic, Hughie who used to do the night shift from 10 pm till 6 am and Ivor who worked in the parking end in Cornwall Street. And Larry Evans, who got me the job, and only lived across the road from me, Hutton Road, Handsworth

Hi Steveb
Just read your article about Pearces garage. i used work there serving petrol on Tuesday evenings and Thursday evenings between 6.0 pm and 10 pm in the early sixties. I used to work at Drew & Hopwoods the printers two doors down. Some of the names I remember Jimmy Cooper and his brother Ralph, Bill the manager, Gordon the mechanic, Hughie who used to do the night shift from 10 pm till 6 am and Ivor who worked in the parking end in Cornwall Street. And Larry Evans, who got me the job, and only lived across the road from me, Hutton Road, Handsworth

Hi yes i remember my dad mentioning Jim Cooper, also there was a guy that used to work Great Charles Street selling petrol called Johnny Roberts think he was Welsh and the other thing i remember he smoked like a trooper but a nice guy.
My dad spent more of his time around Cornwall Street he worked a lot of afternoon evening shifts he used to start about 4 in the afternoon until about 2 am, and most Saturdays as well thats when i used to go with him not many people about, his name was Howard Brown, and yes i do remember the name Gordon the mechanic also.

When i first started going with my dad the petrol was Regent before it changed over to Texaco and if i remember correctly they used to service and repair vehicles on the 4th floor, 2 lifts in the Cornwall Street end.
Think my dad worked there from the late 50,s to the late 60,s so you may have known him.
Another thing that came to mind if i remember correctly Mr Pearce lived in Wales somewhere and used to pop in about once a week, and he had a lovely new dark green E type Jaguar that i think he crashed and wrote it off.
We lived at Kingshurst at the time before moving to Aldridge in about 1963.
Just emptying my mind of anything i can remember, small world isnt it !!

Hi Steveb
Was Bill the manager Bill Thorn ?

Back