• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Payton pepper

Hi I thought I'd post a picture of my late father Colin Jones working happily away with his work mates one of which was his future buisness partner Charlie burgess , they worked together at payton and pepper untill they left to start up their own business trading as Burgess and jones located in premises at 64 Hylton street , I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who remembers him , he met my mother at payton pepper and they were very happily married for 50+ years , incidentally my grandfather and his brothers were all jewelers aswell established 1913 trading on 122 vyse Street

Attachments

• 20230401_203015.jpg
    20230401_203015.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 16812451226917826817985532006137.jpg
    16812451226917826817985532006137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Hello everyone,
I am a little bit lost in shreds. I thought I would post my questions here as it is the latest mention about Payton Pepper Co.
I am looking for help, please. I came to this by searching information about hallmark on small mesh purse.
As I understood it was imported in 1907 (as Birmingham stamp shows). How I should interpret PPLd mark? Did they stamp imported item or they made it?
Thank you for any comments and help! It is my first search ))).
Vera

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Had a quick read and it says that all imported gold and silver had to be assayed at a British office, so I would say that it was either imported by Payton Pepper or bought by them from an importer and it was them who then had it assayed, hence their mark, so they could sell it as silver.

Thank you so much! This is what I thought too. In this case maker is uncertain as well as country of the origination.
By the way it came from Japan. Purse that travelled around the world ))))

Back