• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Payton / Pepper

Marion Deaves

Brummie babby
Can anyone help me with where the Paytons or Peppers are buried - esp Josiah Francis Pepper, Sir Francis Henry Pepper and his brothers.

Marion Deaves

Can anyone help me with where the Paytons or Peppers are buried - esp Josiah Francis Pepper, Sir Francis Henry Pepper and his brothers.

Marion Deaves
hi...a little more info could be a help such as when did they all die and i take it they all died in birmingham...

lyn

Francis was buried at Handsworth Cemetery Nov 1936

Josiah's funeral took place at Handsworth parish church (St Mary's ?) but no mention of his burial.

hi...a little more info could be a help such as when did they all die and i take it they all died in birmingham...

lyn
Josiah Francis PEPPER was 1841 - 1907 - he founded the jewellers firm of Payton Pepper.
Josiah had 7 sons and 3 daughters (1 of the daughters was my g g grand-mother)
Sir Francis Henry PEPPER was 1863 - 1936
Ernest Charles PEPPER was 1861 - 1915 (I think he died in action)
Arthur Josiah PEPPER was 1864 - 1937
Walter Joseph PEPPER was 1865 - 1866 (he died at 2 months old!)
Ada Emma WHITEHOUSE (nee PEPPER) was 1869 - 1954 (she was my g g grand-mother)
Frederick Joseph PEPPER was 1871 - 1944
Herbert Alfred PEPPER was 1873 - 1931
George Edward PEPPER was 1876 - 1958
George Edward possibly buried St Mary's Churchyard, Ripple...

Frederick Joseph possibly buried St Gregory's Churchyard, Castlemorton...

Thanks for the info. I'll have to have a look when I am in the area.

There are also a number of Peppers buried at Warstone Lane, possibly including Josiah's parents (Joseph and Emma), a sister (Emma), an uncle and a cousin (also both named Josiah). And even his grandmother.

There is a report of Joseph's death in the Birmingham Journal, 26 May 1866 - accident, ladder broke.

Last edited:
Josiah Francis Pepper (died 18 Oct 1907, aged 66), his wife Ann (died 10 July 1890, aged 51) and son Herbert Alfred (died 14 April 1931, aged 58), husband of Haddie, are buried at Handsworth parish church (St Mary's). Josiah Francis Pepper lived at Shirle Hill, 161 Hamstead Road, Handsworth, which was just past Crick Lane - now the site of a block of modern flats.

Back