• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Payne Engineering/Brass Foundry

• Thread starter annoying.sister
  • Start date
A

annoying.sister

Looking for Payne family who had their own engineering business, thanks:rolleyes:

Welcome annoying.sister,I'm sure someone on the forum can help you if you can give us some more information like dates, names or addresses.

Colin

Payne - Engineering

Hi Colin, thanks for your email post. My gradfather Herbert Geoffrey Payne (b.1900) from the Handsworth area had his own business, we think it was called Payne and Ruddock.

His father Herbert William (b. 1866) was also in Engineering/Brassfoundry but we don't know if this business was passed down the family or whether HG started it with 'Ruddock'. HW is shown on census reports as an employer and in 1881 his father Joseph Payne (b. 1836) is also an employer living in Edgbaston as a Brassfounder employing '11 men and 1 youth' so we suspect it may be family business?

Any ideas how I can find out more about the business/es would be appreciated.

annoying.sister,can't find any reference to Payne & Ruddock engineers/brass founders,have however found Payne & Griffiths,est 1825, see advertisment below.This was on the Historical Directories site.It may be worth searching further on that site

https://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Perhaps John will be along later he should be able to help.

There was a company I remember,not sure if its still trading today as Rudders & Payne,they were builders merchants.

Colin

Last edited:
Coincidence?

Hi Colin.

Thanks for your post. This has uncovered something really interesting! The advert for Payne and Griffiths I have seen before in my search and had discounted. However, last week I found another entry in Whites ... the lady that married my Joseph Payne was called Emily Glasgow and her father David in the Whites directory of 1850's is listed as his company factory being at 10 Cross Street which is the same address as for Payne and Griffiths! I need to get my head round this one! ???

payne

later directories they have moved to 15 Severn street prior to 1880 their is a Joseph Payne living in Ladypool road no sign of the name Ruddock
do you need and more info regarding times at these addresses

payne

Kelly's 1921 Payne & Griffiths
Brassfounders
Tudor Works
Ladypool Road
established 1825
this is the same road Joseph Payne was living at 1893

Payne - Engineering

Hi John, thanks for your info. On the 1881 and 1891 census reports, Joseph's home address is down as 227 Ladywood Road not Ladypool Road .... could this be a coincidence ??? ? Could you possibly post me the link for the 1921 Kelly's - I have only just discovered Historical Directories and can't find my way round it very well just yet! Many thanks, Joanne

Back