• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parrot In Bull Ring

R

rachel enright

Hi all..
I was looking through the site and a memory came back to me. Does anyone remember the Parrot in a large cage above the markets in the bull ring/pallasades.. I'm talking about 1970's maybe 1975 ish or later..

I remember going through there with my mum and nan and being fascinated by the bird.. ( i think something nasty happened to it later on, bless it but it gave me great pleasure to stand and watch it's antics.. Lovely bird)..

regards
rachel..

Not there but I remember one at the Botanical Gardens, Edgbaston, that would repeat what you said to it...

Rachel will ask the brother in law when we speak next as he had a stall in the market at that time. I do remember a parrot from the 50's that was on a perch outside Pims the pet shop and when you stopped talking to him and went to walk away he would say "don't go. Please don't go". Funny what sticks in your mind from when you were a child. Bye. Jean.

It is funny what you remember from when you were small. I remember 2 minor birds in our local off licence.. It was part of the Rocket pub in Nechells. They were on the counter and the language was bad lol.. Funny creatures..
kind regards
Rachel x

I used to work, part time, at Pimms market hall stall in late 70s,my sister in law was manager, and I believe the Parrot belonged to the other Pimms upstairs,(Grand Parade)
I know the Grand parade Pimms had one that had to be kept at the back of the shop because the teenagers had taught it bad language that it used whenever someone spoke to it.

Lloyd, I have several memories of the Parrot many years ago at the Botannical Gardens. I was fascinated by it perhaps because I had never seen a live Parrot before. It was on a Perch in one of the Hot Houses. I recently made a visit to the Botannical Gardens
when I was on my trip to Brum. I have some photos I took and will post them soon. There is a lovely bird house in the grounds but no parrots.

The parrot i'm on about was definately upstairs Alberta.. It's probably the same one we are talking about. It used to be out in the walkway, but then it went missing. Maybe it got taken back in the shop.
Thank you.. I knew i wasn't imagining it ;o)..

I've not seen the one that was in the Botanical gardens though. .... Not many places have creatures about now. I think it's probably because of all the regulatory stuff that goes with it. Or they cost too much to look after. Cut backs everywhere. Anyway, i'm waffling on..
Thanks all x
Take care
rachel. ;o)

I used to work, part time, at Pimms market hall stall in late 70s,my sister in law was manager, and I believe the Parrot belonged to the other Pimms upstairs,(Grand Parade)
I know the Grand parade Pimms had one that had to be kept at the back of the shop because the teenagers had taught it bad language that it used whenever someone spoke to it.
Hi you say you worked at pimms in the late 70s would it be around 1975/76. I’m looking for my dad who used to deliver live stock to them. My mom used to work at pimms in 1975/76.

Came on here after meeting someone who put me in touch with it on my Ancestry. Been looking for my dad for years every little helps

Hi Alberta just wondered if you knew my mom Julie who worked at pimms pet shop in the Bullring in1975/76. I only ask this because I’m looking for my dad that used to deliver to the shop he went by the name Steve any info would be kindly appreciated.x

Hi Alberta just wondered if you knew my mom Julie who worked at pimms pet shop in the Bullring in1975/76. I only ask this because I’m looking for my dad that used to deliver to the shop he went by the name Steve any info would be kindly appreciated.x

Hi all..
I was looking through the site and a memory came back to me. Does anyone remember the Parrot in a large cage above the markets in the bull ring/pallasades.. I'm talking about 1970's maybe 1975 ish or later..

I remember going through there with my mum and nan and being fascinated by the bird.. ( i think something nasty happened to it later on, bless it but it gave me great pleasure to stand and watch it's antics.. Lovely bird)..

regards
rachel..
Hi Rachel,

Hi Rachel, yes I remember the parrot it was situated down the escalator off the Bridge link in the Bull Ring. Nothing sinister happened to it apart from the night shift cleaners teaching it swear words! Therefore, the parrot was moved to the back corridors of the centre

I remember the parrot, used to stand by it for ages waiting for it to swear, for some silly reason it made me laugh. ;)

Back