• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parkinson Amy of Sandon Rd

waderg

Brummie babby
This is my great grandmother.
In 1891 Amy was living at 14 Sandon Rd Edgbaston with her parents William (b1844 South Shields; a schools inspector; died 1903) and Eliza (b1845 Chelsea; d1935), and siblings Edith and Thomas Maynard, a bank clerk (he emigrated to South Africa, as had an elder brother, William Benjamin).
Amy (who, with Edith, taught at West College for ladies on the Bristol Rd) married Alfred Mathias Wade (her neighbour from nr 13) in 1899 and they moved to 253 Dudley Rd (were these premises new?).
Alfred was a 'lamp manufacturer' (whatever that means) but died in 1906.
His business was "Wades Works" on 312 Broad St until the move (of home & business) to Dudley Rd, when it was called "The Birmingham Lamp and Gas Light Co." (anyone heard of either?)

Amy moved to 3 Stanmore Rd and married Tom Robinson (1913 wonder how they met, as Amy was not working).
They were still there in 1919 but later moved to Nr. 10 and then to 10 Barnsley Road in the mid 30's (were these houses new then?).
Alfred and Amy had four sons: Roy Falkingham (b1900; RAF 1918-1919; served in the Shanghai Municipal Police from 1920-1926, lived for a while at Rotten Row & was a "mechanical engineer" in Leeds before retiring early, to Deal in Kent. He died in 1982), Geoffrey York (b1904; my grandfather; died about 1980), Ken and Dennis (born after his father died but dying in infancy - thanks Suzanne).
Amy died (in the accident hospital...is this significant?) in 1952.
Tom died in 1948.

Anyone tell me anything about these people?
Both houses on Sandon Rd have been replaced by a medical centre...does anyone have an old picture of this end of the street?
Have posted separately about my grandfather, Geoffrey York Wade.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Amy Parkinson of Sandon Rd

Hi

I notice you say that Alfred & Amy had 3 sons. The 1911 shows a fourth:)

The 1911 census: Amy Wade born 1868 Bham a widow (under occupation is Private means) living at 3 Stanmore Rd, Edgbaston.
Her sons are:
Roy Falkingham Wade born 1901 Bham
Geoffrey Yorke Wade born 1903 Bham
Kenneth Wade born 1905
Dennis Wade born 1907 Bham
Also there is Constance Collier born 1885 South Africa - Visitor
Ruby Le Fuerre born 1884 Jersey - domestic nurse
Susan Williams born 1894 Chadsmore - domestic servant

Amy husband Alfred Matthias Wade's probate says "of Ellerslie, Sandon Road, Edgbaston Birmingham Lamp & Gas Fittings manufacturer died 17 Dec 1906. Probate Birmingham 29 Dec to Amy Wade widow, the reverend George Woosung Wade clerk D.D. the reverend Joseph Henry Wade clerk and William Henry Bowater J.P. Effects £6209 11s 3d"

Suzanne

Re: Amy Parkinson of Sandon Rd

Thanks for all of the information Suzanne

Much of it was new to me, including the third brother to my grandfather!

Actually thought Alfred died in 1908, but suspect my memory is at fault.

Hope others have been as helpful to you as you have been to me.

All the best

Robert (hardly a Brummie at all).

Just discovered this info:

Register of Nonconformist Burials in the Parish of Christ Church, The Quinton,

1891 to 1934
https://www.qlhs.org.uk/archive/christ-church-burials-non-1891-1934.htm

No. Date of Burial Ref. Name Address Age Presiding
102 1903 Jun 8th G 345 William Parkinson General Hospital Birmingham 59 James Jones Rector

1934 to 1947
https://www.qlhs.org.uk/archive/christ-church-burials-non-1934-1947.htm

No. Date of Burial Ref. Name Address Age Presiding
9 1935 Aug 8th G 345 Eliza Parkinson 10 Stanmore Road Edgbaston 91 W.Sissons

Also:
4351935 Aug 8thUC 345Eliza Parkinson10 Stanmore Road91Sissons

I think these must be Amy's parents...though I had previously though William's wife predeceased him (because his will seems to have only named Amy & husband, Alfred).
Believe I knew Amy had moved in with "Eliza" but presumed that them to have been sisters (Amy did have a sister, Edith, who died in a fire at home in 1945 but there were no burial details for her).

'Fraid I'm no longer in the UK, but if I was, it is likely I'd find a gravestone for William and Eliza in the church above?

Using what I assume is the burial plot number (345), also found:
4321909 November 16th345Phoebe RobinsonNew England Long Lane73James Jones Rector
That might be interesting because Amy's 2nd marriage was to a Tom Robinson; could Phoebe be related?
If so, suggests that Amy & Tom knew each other earlier than I had expected.

Is Long Lane near Stanmore Rd?
think the Parkinson's (perhaps together with the Wade's) house on Stanmore Rd is now a medical centre.

Subsequently found a lot of Robinson's buried here... many from Long Lane (why New England?).
And not sure what is meant by "nonconformist" either.

Last edited:
Back