• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Lane...Aston

To my knowledge the Shareholders stands on the same spot as it always have, I believe in the very early 60's the outside was revamped , I do not think it was knocked down and rebuilt, but I cannot say for certain it wasn't, I am surprised that it wasn't taken down when everything else around it was........

Carl...ref post number 79, the photo with the arrow, number 38 was on the other side of the road, the side showing the arrow was odd numbers ....

Thank you for the picture of Burlington School. I have a copy of this and it is an excellent shot. Are there any more pictures of the school out there I wonder? I also have an interest in pictures of Mansfield Road - although this seems even rarer.

Carl

Hi Carl, yes it was in the late 50s and early 60s when we were friendly with Pearl, Matty and Roy. So sorry to hear that Matt has died and that Pearl is now very frail, they were a few years older than me. Time takes its toll unfortunately.

H I Aston lad
orinionaly the small pub was across the road on park lane then they dunaway with it but the built the share holders across the rd
more or less oppersite on the corner of potters hill and barton hill ; the share holders was a small pub when they built it but later in the sixties the rebuilt a larger front moderised it up with large windows and doors and built the extention into a smoke room down the side entrance
on the barton side ; we used to go in there on a sunday lunch time in the sixties and before in the bar for domines and when the smoke room or lounge you want to call it afew of us from midland counties milk men used to play cards for money there was the twins o cathrine street and wainwright street
i lived on the lichfield rd tony jones was my brother inlaw whom became a market trader down the bull ring until he died about ten years ago
whilst i am on here just want to say hello to my oyther dear friend sylvia for the picture of park lane by the cross as it shows a van being loaded that was my grand fathers van and him loading his crockery hire into his van; all the white bits walls you see are also his thre bussiness one one the chippy and the other end of the wall was is boarders rooms and the coffee shop down below and in between was two big huge gateswhere is office and house and a to story ware house for all the proisions of food for all ther out lets hich in detail up to the thirties and fities was thirty three shops incidently he owned the chippienext to the old billard hall as wellwhich was facing the other one that was by his van; but he sols the one next to the billaird hall to little cyri alittle guy i aways waived acros to each other
specialy friday nights and saturdays grand fathers chippie you could eat your fish and chips at a couple of tables he had we was taken down by mother for our teas on saturday nights after the rush ; have your srelf a good day aston lad best wishes Astonian;;;;;;;;

Hi Astonian

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the location of the Shareholders, to my knowledge there wasn't another pub across the road in ParkLane apart from the Black Horse which is just a little further down, there was another two which were a bit of a distance down the lane...... number 25 Parklane from at least 1908 as been the Shareholders Arms, I am not saying that it wasn't knocked down and rebuilt, but I am saying that it has stood on that footprint from whenever it was built...

here is a close up shot of the original shareholders pub corner of park lane and potters lane which was completely demolished and another one built ...if you go to post 79 pic 1 you can see the pub in the distance on the left hand corner
lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn....when was it rebuilt ?, I can only ever remember the frontage being updated and the outdoor added in the early 1960's, I am too young to remember anything before that date.....:)

shareholders 1969.jpg
Lyn....when was it rebuilt ?, I can only ever remember the frontage being updated and the outdoor added in the early 1960's, I am too young to remember anything before that date.....:)

im too young as well aston lad lol...no idea when this new pub was built but this photo of it was taken in 1969...will get in touch with someone who knows far more than i do about it and try to find out...

lyn

The new Shareholders is actually off Selston Rd on Old Park Close, It looks closed down to me but the building is still standing.

Attachments

• Aston Shareholders Arms Park Rd 2 .JPG
    Aston Shareholders Arms Park Rd 2 .JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 64
phil i think its some sort of warehouse now...will have a better look as i pass it quite often...

lyn

I can remember the pub looking like that as early as 1963 (post 101 ), so if it was rebuilt it must have been during the late 1950's, the only people I know who would have known are sadly no longer with us.....In the early 60's the area was revamped by the council, new roofs, brickwork repair/replacement, street after street after street, it was great fun for us kids, we had the scaffolding to climb up, and could walk along the wooden walkway past the neighbours bedroom windows.......

The shareholders at 1 Park Lane appears in the electoral roll in 1957, but not in 1955, . the old one was not named at all. I think therefore that the new one must have been built 1956-7

The shareholders at 1 Park Lane appears in the electoral roll in 1957, but not in 1955, . the old one was not named at all. I think therefore that the new one must have been built 1956-7

thanks mike that clears that one up nicely...thanks also for sending me the overlay maps confirming that the new shareholders was built on the same spot as where the old one was...

lyn

Wow Thanks Aston Lad for sharing those wonderful pix. Park Lane at Aston Cross looks fab doesnt it? I remembetr waiting there dressed up one Christmas eve meeting friends to go out for the evening. Much earlier in '60's the ATV Studios were quite close to the Cross. Was it on a Sunday when they filmed juke box jury? I remember guest bands appearing. I coudl only wait at the door to catch a glimpse. Also there's 2 shops in one on your pix one called 'Perks'. The shop next to Perks was Sylvie's. She was Mrs Iommi. Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath's mum.. Thats where he lived at the back / above the shop. You may know he is figthing lymphatic cancer at the moment so lets wish him all the very best. Sylvie was so proud of him. She would tell the women customers / neighbours which band he was in and where he was going next. The women ( or me) didnt have a clue about bands and what they got up to but they all ooo'd and arrggh'd at the news. Sylvie ran a 'tick' book system to allow people to shop and pay the bill at end of the week on payday. She kept my family going !!!

It was Thank Your Lucky Stars that was filmed on a Sunday afternoon at the Alpha TV studios, some school friends and I went a couple of times to see the show recorded.

Me too. Don't remember who I saw on TYLS but remember Pete Murray. Remember sitting in a raised seating area and boards telling us when to clap etc. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I remember the instructions of when to clap :) I think they held a board up with 'applause' written in it and if you didn't do it loud enough it had to be done again!

I can't now remember all of who I saw either but I think they included the Walker Brothers and the Zombies.

Hi just put a reply about this on another thread here! Shareholders was NOT demolished and rebuilt across the road. They rerouted Park lane. The pub was rebuilt around us as we were living in it! My dad Arthur Taylor was licensee from 1957 to 1962 when we left for The Stork Inn.

this cracking one is new to me...tram outside ansells

lyn

Attachments

• Tram outside Ansells (2).jpg
    Tram outside Ansells (2).jpg
    271 KB · Views: 80
Reading this thread reminds me of the short time I worked for a Taxi firm in Park lane, Z car taxis was the name and Danny Healy was the owner, this would have been 1967. We often picked up the "stars" from the ATV studios and my claim to fame was driving Roy Wood from Wizard :)

Reading this thread reminds me of the short time I worked for a Taxi firm in Park lane, Z car taxis was the name and Danny Healy was the owner, this would have been 1967. We often picked up the "stars" from the ATV studios and my claim to fame was driving Roy Wood from Wizard :)

nice memories nick....did you manage to get any autographs of the famous...what a treat to drive roy wood around...:)

lyn

this cracking one is new to me...tram outside ansells

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Yes. It is a smashing photograph. The tram is on the hill in Park Road travelling towards Aston Cross on its way to the city centre. It looks as though it has got Football Special on the destination board so it was probably on its way from Villa Park to pick up more passengers.
This has special memories for me as I worked at Victoria Road Police Station and lived in Stretton Road off Rocky Lane at Aston Cross. I went past those windows on the ground floor of the brewery every day on my way to and from work. Looking in I saw a row of women sitting down watching bottles go past on a conveyor belt. They were, I presume, looking for faults. The bottles, I believe, were empty. I thought how lucky I was working in the outdoors whilst they were inside doing what must have been a boring job.

Old Boy

nice memories nick....did you manage to get any autographs of the famous...what a treat to drive roy wood around...:)

lyn
Hi Lyn

Wasn't into autographs in those days and have to admit I didn't recognise Roy Wood until I saw him at a later date on TV :(

never mind nick its still a nice claim to fame for you and a memory of those days:)

lyn

Back