• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pardoe Family - Ward End Birmingham

Hi everyone I'd love to say a few things anyway I'm andrew pardoe, my father is Kenny frank pardoe who is 76 now. I have one brother and four sisters, the other side of the family is my fathers family, yes some worked and lived in haymills ,Coventry rd south Yardley and they also ran a glazing business & roofing at Albert rd stechford,bham. I no a few pardoes they are john, Ronny, glen and Albert pardoe. I grew up in homelea rd south Yardley until I were 21, my mother and father lived in a bk to bk house summer lane, Aston, Birmingham when times were very hard an rough. yes our ancestors were Gypsy's back in the day iv heard that many story's over the years. My father and his one sister patty pardoe apparently were left in an attic as young kids by there mother not are her name and some off the pardoes brought my father up..I no south Yardley and stecford well and I'd like to say if there is any relatives out there it be great to talk and find out more .thanku for reading. Andy pardoe...

Hi everyone I'd love to say a few things anyway I'm andrew pardoe, my father is Kenny frank pardoe who is 76 now. I have one brother and four sisters, the other side of the family is my fathers family, yes some worked and lived in haymills ,Coventry rd south Yardley and they also ran a glazing business & roofing at Albert rd stechford,bham. I no a few pardoes they are john, Ronny, glen and Albert pardoe. I grew up in homelea rd south Yardley until I were 21, my mother and father lived in a bk to bk house summer lane, Aston, Birmingham when times were very hard an rough. yes our ancestors were Gypsy's back in the day iv heard that many story's over the years. My father and his one sister patty pardoe apparently were left in an attic as young kids by there mother not are her name and some off the pardoes brought my father up..I no south Yardley and stecford well and I'd like to say if there is any relatives out there it be great to talk and find out more .thanku for reading. Andy pardoe...

I knew the Pardoe's in Summer Lane. I'm really not sure of first names but it may have been Albert. He also would have been around the same age as me, born in 1940 and possibly went to Cowper St school.

I knew the Pardoe's in Summer Lane. I'm really not sure of first names but it may have been Albert. He also would have been around the same age as me, born in 1940 and possibly went to Cowper St school.
Albert and Kenny grew up together, they used all the pubs in Aston and prob had a fight everyday.my old mans still alive an Albert too...

Albert and Kenny grew up together, they used all the pubs in Aston and prob had a fight everyday.my old mans still alive an Albert too...

That is good news! I left Brum when I was 16 so I wouldn't have been a part of the "pub scene". I lived in Paddington St and my name is Dave Astley. I think that they may have lived up the yard behind Charlie Deathridges grocery and bicycle shop.

Dave A

That is good news! I left Brum when I was 16 so I wouldn't have been a part of the "pub scene". I lived in Paddington St and my name is Dave Astley. I think that they may have lived up the yard behind Charlie Deathridges grocery and bicycle shop.

Dave A
Your right there can I ask how you no the pardoes, are you related

Hi Andrew
i can recal most of your family ,especialy hay mills and of course the other side from Aston
yes they liked a scape now and then probaly more often than then
i was born and brought up in aston and my lot knocked around the Aston pubs
the old man ran the golden cross andi have ran quite afew myself around brum and up country
i know your roofers, as i lived on coventry road oppersite now Asda but before then the old car factory
was there, plus i knew them from the monica pub and of course from the old Haymills
we drank together and my mrs used to work there behind the bar her name is Teresa ,mention her name to the gang
they will know whom we are and at the monica pub as well and seamus the gaffer you must know him and his mrs Ann
whom was the manager but i will not say any more on them two as you would have known about the carrying on
but i will not say no more on that either , I beleive old sqisser as long gone and burried and the club as changed hands and name
i came down that way some weks back sad to see how its all gone the area i mean
even deakins road where the lads used to live
well andrew got to shoot of now nice to hear the pardoes are still going strong and are around today
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Your right there can I ask how you no the pardoes, are you related
No, I'm not related. When the name Pardoe came up, it rang a bell. It's such a long time ago, it really is difficult to be specific about anything from that time period. As I said, I may have gone to school with him, as most kids in the area went to Cowper St. There was another family up that yard called the Edwards, he may have known them too.

Dave A

The Pardoe’s of Church Walk, Ward End were a very large family, Tommy Pardoe was an amateur boxer who fought in the 1932 Olympic Games. There was also a person called Joe Dainty who lived with them, and continued to live at the old house.

If anyone does have any information about them, it would be much appreciated
My mom's family was the gypsies that stayed there she remember the pardoes very well would of been 1940s we have a ve day party photo took on church walk her cousin married one of the pardoes. Mom.remember the being a stuffed gorilla in his loft

My mom's family was the gypsies that stayed there she remember the pardoes very well would of been 1940s we have a ve day party photo took on church walk her cousin married one of the pardoes. Mom.remember the being a stuffed gorilla in his loft

Hi Polly47. I did hear that story about one of the Pardoes marrying one of the gypsies. I suspect the Pardoes were infact gypsies themselves at some time. I was also told about a lot of stuffed animals in the house too. Would love to see the photo please if you have it.

Hi Polly47. I did hear that story about one of the Pardoes marrying one of the gypsies. I suspect the Pardoes were infact gypsies themselves at some time. I was also told about a lot of stuffed animals in the house too. Would love to see the photo please if you have it.
Mom was saying yesterday I tried to view your photo with no luck here’s the VE Day party that was on church walk when they lived in pardoes yard ,could you pop you picture up again please so I can show mom

Mom said her cousin married either the daughter or granddaughter he’s name was Lyons not sure on the spelling she remember the goose it used to chase her and her cousin regularly

Thank you very much, have ordered a copy…cannot wait, I still have Martha’s (Tommy’s mothers) wedding ring.

This is Martha with the goose, my mother in the foreground. The two children on the right are gipsy’s who live in caravans on ‘Pardoe’s’ yard; you can see the roofs of the caravans in the background.

View attachment 70745
Do you still have this picture?

Was wondering if you have any more photos of the yard with the gypsies in ..... my grandad was one of the children that used to stay there..... he always said the pardoes were related to him on his mothers side

Was wondering if you have any more photos of the yard with the gypsies in ..... my grandad was one of the children that used to stay there..... he always said the pardoes were related to him on his mothers side
I was told Pardoe was a Welsh name, my mum used to sing with a David Pardoe in Coventry in a concert party. Then we met a Mrs Pardoe at a Welsh funeral. She thought it was German? I just wondered where the name came from.

Well unfortunately gypsies are notorious for having changed their names. They were always suspicious of the settled community and lied alot to them.... this makes them very hard to track. From family knowledge rather than official documents I know that many of the gypsies that used to stay in the yard were Smiths..... I also know they used the name davies aswell as their mother was a davies..... primarily these particular gypsies travelled and lived around hereford area. Im presuming a few Welsh leaked over the border and into the family

So perhaps this is how the pardoe gypsies and the smiths intertwined.... as for where in the world pardoe name comes from that will be very hard to find out as the romani came to uk from across Europe on their travels and stopped off in many countries..... who knows where they picked up that name?

Unfortunately, I do not have any other pictures of what was known as “Pardoes Yard”. I have always suspected that there was some relationship between the Pardoes and gypsies but have never proven, or in all fairness tried too hard to find a link. Its one my list of things to do.

What I do know is the name Pardoe is quite common around Shropshire and Worcester. I have very briefly researched my family history and it seems that most of these Shropshire and Worcester Pardoe families are related.

My branch of the Pardoe family (great grandfather Herbert) originated from Ludlow, moved to Cleobury Mortimer where my Grandfather was born.

The family moved to Ward End Birmingham to the house with Pardoes Yard.

I know some of the local people referred to my great grandmother (Martha (in the picture)) as “The Gypsy Lady”.

I also know that the Pardoes were a large family of fifteen children and a couple of the sons did marry gypsy girls from Pardoes Yard. My mom would say how pretty the gypsy girls were with their black lace corsets, brightly colour clothes and long jet-black hair. Coincidentally, my mother had long jet-black hair that she would not let anyone cut.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other pictures of what was known as “Pardoes Yard”. I have always suspected that there was some relationship between the Pardoes and gypsies but have never proven, or in all fairness tried too hard to find a link. Its one my list of things to do.

What I do know is the name Pardoe is quite common around Shropshire and Worcester. I have very briefly researched my family history and it seems that most of these Shropshire and Worcester Pardoe families are related.

My branch of the Pardoe family (great grandfather Herbert) originated from Ludlow, moved to Cleobury Mortimer where my Grandfather was born.

I know some of the local people referred to my great grandmother (Martha (in the picture)) as “The Gypsy Lady”.

I also know that the Pardoes were a large family of fifteen children and a couple of the sons did marry gypsy girls from Pardoes Yard. My mom would say how pretty the gypsy girls were with their black lace corsets, brightly colour clothes and long jet-black hair. Coincidentally, my mother had long jet-black hair that she would not let anyone cut.
Its interesting that you mention Shropshire as I've found the birth certificate of my grandad and it turns out he was born in Shropshire, also I have proof that they worked on several farms in the Worcestershire area aswell as them hop picking in hereford..... I suspect the two families are actually one if we could manage to go back 2 or 3 more generations........ this might explain why my grandads family were even in the yard..... his family were very mistrusting of the settle community , maybe more than most gypsies but if they were family then thats probly why they were willing to stay

I agree, I have picked up a couple of likely links that suggests the Shropshire and Worcester Pardoe’s are, in part related.

Interesting thread, we had a Geography teacher at school who became a Mrs Pardoe so possibly her husband was a distant relative. I have never come across the surname since then so this caught my eye.

I have birth family from both those places some still there born and bred so I will ask. They were very dark too. Thick black very curly haired. We thought Celtic I never thought about Romany. I had a Romany boss she said I was charmed. I didn't know she was till after she left.

Interesting thread, we had a Geography teacher at school who became a Mrs Pardoe so possibly her husband was a distant relative. I have never come across the surname since then so this caught my eye.
I didn't either apart from the two I mentioned and years apart.

Also the pronunciation they both pronounced their names, Par doe. Like Pas de deux. With a slight gap between.They were/are both very dark haired too.I keep thinking of Vardo, the gypsy caravan.

Back