• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

PANDFIELD William Godridge

theodore

master brummie
Seeking information on William Godridge Pandfield born abt. 1881. He was killed in action aged 35 in 1916 serving with the 2nd Worcesters. At the time of his death he held the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. He was awarded the D.C.M. On his MIC and details on CWGC his mother is shown as Betsy Pandfield of 83 Dolphin Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham. Possible he had two brothers, Salisbury E. and Wyndham S. The service papers of Salisbury Eric Pandfield are on Ancestry and he gives his next of kin as Besse Panfield of 83 Dolphin Road, Sparkhill. Can only find 1 census that gives any info on Pandfields (1901 with Salisbury and Wyndham both as lodgers). No birth details found for William but have found details for Salisbury and Wyndham (also marriage for both and death for Slisbury). Any more info would be most appreciated .

Regards

Peter

Re: William Godridge PANDFIELD

Hi, I have found the family in the 1891 census;

Wyndham S Pandfield born 1843 West Indies, a photographer
Bessie Pandfield born 1856 Tamworth
Florence B Pandfield born 1878 Evercreech Somerset
William G Pandfield born 1887 Southampton
Wyndham S Pandfield born1887Wribbenhall
Salisbury Pandfield born 1891 Ombersley

Hope this helps

William registered as Panfield 1880
1891 Ombersley Village Worcs.

Wyndham S Pandfield age 48 b. West Indies, Photographer
Betsy age 35 born Tamworth
Florence B age 13 born Evercreech somerset
William G age 11 b. Southampton
Wyndham S age 4 b. Willenhall
Salisbury age 3 months b. Ombersley.

Wyndham Stuart Pandfield died in 1896 Martley Worcs.

Betsy died in 1933,I cannot find their marriage.
Wyndham S jnr died in 1950 birmingham
Salisbury E died in 1973 Sutton Coldfield.

Last edited:

address Village, Ombersley
Wyndham S Pandfield,aged 48 born 1843,West Indies British Subject,Photographer
Bessie Pandfield,Wife aged 35 born 1856,Tamworth,Warwickshire
Florence B Pandfield,aged 13 born 1878,Evercreech,Somersetshire
William G Pandfield, aged 4 born 1887,Southampton
Wyndham S Pandfield, aged 4 born 1887 Wribbenhall,Worcestershire
Salisbury Pandfield, aged under 9 months,born 1891,Ombersley,Worcestershire
(1911,There was a Betsy Pandfield,widow,born Amington near Tamworth,and a housekeeper for 2 farmers and horse dealers in Pensnett, but the year of birth is 10 years out!)?
1911 says William was in the Overseas Military,a Sergeant with the 2nd Battallion,Royal Worcestershire Regiment. States he was born Southampton,Hampshire.

Marriages Jun 1904
Florence B Pandfield married Edward Osmond Sweeney Birmingham 6d 300a
Edward was a detective on the GWR.They were living in Mayfield Road Acocks Green in 1911 and Wyndham S was living with them. His occupation at that time was a slaughterman,butcher.
By 1927,after the death of her husband ,Florence and son Edward L,were living at 83 Dolphin Road with Betsy.

Do you think this could be his birth details?
William Godridge Padfield
Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1880
Registration district:Southampton
Inferred County:Hampshire
Volume:2c Page:1

Hi Dipseydiva, Alberta and Ladylinda,

First of all many thanks for your replies to my posting, much appreciated.

I have searched Ancestry (1891 census) again for Pandfield name but no results (tried various spellings), must just be me doing someting wrong.

On two of your replies (Dipseydiva and Ladylinda) you have William aged 4 born 1887 Southampton. Alberta states William aged 11 born Southampton. If the CWGC site records are correct (killed in action 21 August 1916 aged 35) then he would have been born 1880/1.

I'm sure Ladylinda your details for William's birth are correct and from the 1911 census that William was serving overseas (India, 2nd Battalion Worcesters) this would be right.

Again thank you all.

Regards

Peter

Mike

I would have thought that to be the case but I'm having no luck on Ancestry searching the name Pandfield other than Army service record (1 brother and MIC'c for all three brothers) and 1901 census (Salisbury and Wyndham).

Regards

Peter

There appears to be some confusion on the web between William Goldridge Pandfield and Wyndham S(tuart) Goldridge.
Wyndam is born 1887 in Kidderminster, marries 1919 in Birmingham to Minnie Watkinson and dies 1950 in Birmingham age 63.
The Shrawley & District History Society have him as dying in WWI and I have sent a email telling them about their incorrect information

Hi Peter

Do you have his death certificate?

The GRO War Death Army Officers Indices has: Index to War Deaths 1914-1921 Army Officers - William G Pandfield 2 Lt. Wor. Reg. 1916 reference - volume 0.11 page 233

regards
Suzanne

Just found this ,what do you make of it.?

1881 census.

20 Butts hill,Frome, somerset.

James Stevens age 40 born West Indies,Plumber
Bessie Stevens age 30 b. Tamworth
Florence age 3 b. Southampton
William age 1 b. Southampton.

Can find no James stevens married to Bessie and no Florence or Wlliam stevens born in southampton for those years,

The national probate calendar has: William Godrich Pandfield of 83 Dolphin Road, Sparkhill, second lieutenant 2nd battallion worcestershire regiment died 21 August 1916 at Longueval France. Administration Birmingham 8 December to Betsy Pandfield Widow. Effects £308 11s 1d.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
I don't have a copy of William's death only the details from Soldiers Died and CWGC. Thank you for the info from his will, I did see this on Ancestry but I only have the basic membership so could not access the document.

Mike,
I had seen the info on The Shrawley & District History Society site (this was the reason for my original posting for information as I felt they had got it wrong) and was going to send them an email regarding this but no need now as you have informed them.

Alberta,
Not sure what to make of your find on the 1881 census, could just be a coincidence with the names. If there is some link both Florence and William should have Stevens for surname, but we have the birth details for William Godridge PADFIELD (error in transcibing original) from Ladylinda.

Thanks again to all

Regards

Peter

William enlisted in the Worcesters on the 26 or 27 March 1900 (from his service number 5778, Pte. 5772 Robert Dumerall enlisted 26 .3. 1900 and Pte. 5782 Christopher Evans enlisted 31. 3. 1900). He should be a serving soldier with the Worcesters on the 1901 census, could be overseas in South Africa.

Peter

Back